Sponsored

JL owners with dogs

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
My wife has a labradoodle. He is aver tough little 25 customer and pounds the crap out of Bernese mtn dog. Who is so sweet and gentle and my 100lbgolden. The thing about the doodles is they may not shed but their coat mats very easily and they need intense daily brushing. Especially the curly ones so look for a fleece one. They still need a lot of brushing but not as much as a curly one. The hair of the other two gets into the carpet. Like crazy. So I am going with some type of full cover especially on the wheel wells I also use those 1/2 inch foam floor pads you can get at Home Depot cut to fit the back under the covering
Sponsored

Dieseldawg

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon

MikeinMD

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Convertible, 2003 Z71 Suburban, 2018 JLU Sahara
I’m in the same boat as you. After looking at the canvasback that protects the sides, the bottom and the back of the seat, I’ve decided I am going to make something like that with a fake leather material. And by make, i mean the wife is going to make it. The material is inexpensive and will allow it to easily cleaned with a wet cloth.
My wife and I looked at a DIY project as well for this and the cost for quality ballistic nylon was enough that it didn't look like it was worth it to make it ourselves.

SaintNick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep JLU High Tide
I notice there is a lot of carpeting in the rear. I was wondering those with dogs, especially furry ones like German shepherds, have any issue with the wet dog smell? I've been waiting for the JL since 2015 but with dogs, I'm reconsidering and getting a short bed Toyota Tacoma to partition myself and the dogs during messy trips. I feel the JL truck may be too long. Thoughts?
Look at Canvasback

merciles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I am going with the Canvasback for my GSD. Lots of good reviews and easy access to floor storage and tie downs. You can also get side covers to keep the whole tub clean.

https://www.canvasback.com/index.ph...-jl-4-dr-cargo-liners-14375.html?___SID=U&f=1

My dog sheds like he's trying to recarpet the world and a lot of my time is spent cleaning up the back of the Jeeps. So I ordered the Canvasback liner this morning and just wanted to say thanks for posting that link.

Sponsored

MikeinMD

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Convertible, 2003 Z71 Suburban, 2018 JLU Sahara
My dog sheds like he's trying to recarpet the world and a lot of my time is spent cleaning up the back of the Jeeps. So I ordered the Canvasback liner this morning and just wanted to say thanks for posting that link.
That’s why I love this forum. Happy to help!

Seansun01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL, build date 12/12/17; 2015 Harley-Davidson Heritage Classic Softail
Mine rides in the back seat with a waterproof seat cover. Not a problem so far. She's very pleased with the increased space back there.

Klausvanwinkle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR
Check out bedtreds. I have them in my JK. They replace the floor mats with what looks like bedliner. German Shepherd hair doesn’t stick to it like the carpet. So it’ll blow out or vacuum out easily. It’s also easier to clean dirt from. Between those and a rear seat hammock, my jeep has become a lot more GSD friendly.

This is the front seat obviously. But this in the cargo area, rear wheel wells and cargo are made all the difference. Leather seats help too.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fc1.staticflickr.com%2F1%2F658%2F33077286170_17ecb0e67d_z.jpg

Last edited:

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
you would loose to my bernese! shed sheds knitted sweaters, small dogs and blankets!

Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
is he a a big ole Golden Retriver?

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Mine rides in the back seat with a waterproof seat cover. Not a problem so far. She's very pleased with the increased space back there.
Which waterproof seat cover did you get? Do you have a link to it?

Newbiejeeperjl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unlimited JL
I tradein my Taco for my JLU. I won’t put my dogs back there. Between the heat in TX and the fact that the bed liner is extremely slick, it would be a recipe for injury. I bought a cheap ($40) universal waterproof mat for the back and my dogs love it. It covers the entire back end minus the sides. The best part is it has a rubber texture so the dogs don’t slip. See amazon they have a lot on inexpensive choices.

ED2164B9-6852-46DA-A79F-C1AAA6A5DDF1.jpeg

CNPalmer

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I purchased the Dirty Dogs Cargo Liner for my JLU. I wanted the full side protection for the doors and sub in the back. So far I am VERY happy with it. Easy install and really keeps the hair contained. Only issue is the material is somewhat "slippery" for my dog so he slides a little on a sharp turn. I'm going to look for some self-stick carpet tiles/stair treads and cut them into strips and apply to give him a little more grip for his feet.

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2010 GMC Sierra 1500
My wife and I looked at a DIY project as well for this and the cost for quality ballistic nylon was enough that it didn't look like it was worth it to make it ourselves.
I’m planning on doing it out of the fake leather fabric or vinyl as it is easy to wipe off with a wet cloth then. I’ll just throw a dog bed on top of it so the dog isn’t getting on the hot material when sun is out.
Sponsored