JL owners be warned! Rear camera cover snapped during tire rotation

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
took my jeep to get interior detailed once and they pried off my carpet and floor mats with a pry bar or screw driver leavings dents in the seats metal holes and lots of broken grommets.

lesson learned: never expect someone getting paid $10 an hour to take good care of your $50k+ jeep.
Sponsored

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
I went to go get my tires rotated today at the local discount tire and apparently they resort to brute force before using their eyes and decided it would be a good idea to take a pry bar to my rear camera cover instead of looking for the obvious lock/unlock bolt. Snapped the pin right off. They are replacing it but it will be a week before it shows up. Save yourself the hassle and talk to the tech before they work on it.

20190321_172715.jpg
What is this picture supposed to be showing us?

suzookus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Very true, all I can say as at least they have a job . Lots of them sit on there butts and draw a check! I can’t stand to let tire place or or lube or dealer touch my Jeep if I’m capable.
I'd rather someone sit on there butt away from my Jeep
The rear camera cover the shop pried off instead of unscrewing it.
I know what it is...I see no damage or evidence of any prying. or anything broken as he stated

Let me clarify, what is the picture showing us other than the cover itself?

Sponsored

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
I went to go get my tires rotated today at the local discount tire and apparently they resort to brute force before using their eyes and decided it would be a good idea to take a pry bar to my rear camera cover instead of looking for the obvious lock/unlock bolt. Snapped the pin right off. They are replacing it but it will be a week before it shows up. Save yourself the hassle and talk to the tech before they work on it.

20190321_172715.jpg
I see no damage?

I can see the top of the lock latch lever. And the torx screw is set to lock which would be the correct orientation of the latch lever.

All I see is a bunch of salt residue around torx screw and lock/unlock indicators
20190321_221457.jpg

OP
OP
ImAJeepskate

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JLU)
Oil changes, tire rotations and even differential oil changes on the JL are embarrassingly easy. Give it a try and avoid crappy service and screw ups.

How easy is it? Before buying the JL, I barely knew how to operate a screwdriver.. No issues doing this maintenance on my own (among lots of mods too!)
I usually always do my own work, but at college right now just making due.

OP
OP
ImAJeepskate

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JLU)
I see no damage?

I can see the top of the lock latch lever. And the torx screw is set to lock which would be the correct orientation of the latch lever.

All I see is a bunch of salt residue around torx screw and lock/unlock indicators
20190321_221457.jpg
This is snapped. Its suposed to be 3/8 tall at least.

suzookus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I see no damage?

20190321_221457.jpg
The inner “wing” or whatever it would be called looks broken.

94E17706-1E9F-4B03-BA00-AB3FC14250B2.jpeg

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Proof of a sub-human race living amongst us.
I suppose that makes me part of the sub-human race since I broke mine the first time I tried to take it off. In my defense I was smart enough to unlock it, but it didn't want to pull off so I twisted. Those thin plastic vanes on the inside offered little resistance to my abuse and snapped those puppies right off.

Oh no... if I'm part of the sub-human race... am I still covered by my company's health insurance plane? :surprised:

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

20190321_172715.jpg
It sucks Grant and I agree with much of sentiment above. I just want to throw this out there:

My JL spare tire cover came, sewn into the center of the donut shape it makes, a camera cover that necessitated the stock one be removed.

I guess I'm simply saying that if spare tire covers are on your wish list anyway, maybe the mechanic can give you the dollar equivalent of this part's purchase cost to go towards a tire cover that has this part already integral to its design. : - )

~~~~~~~~~~~~

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others

20190321_172715.jpg
That's no "tech", that's an idiot!

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer
Just curious, why did you bring your Jeep to a tire place for rotation? If I'm not mistaken, tire rotations are included when you take in your Jeep for an oil change through the Jeep Wave program.

walweb

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR Mojito, 1993 YJ, 2001 Ram 2500, 2012 Ram Dually , 2014 Durango
Occupation
Retired

20190321_172715.jpg
PM me and I will send you the one I took off my Jeep.

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
I can’t speak for op, but every dealer I checked with in my area wants me to leave Jeep all day for Wave free oil change/rotation. Loaner may be available. First come first serve. Can’t be bothered. I do it myself. I installed a fumoto valve, don’t even need a wrench for that anymore.
Sponsored