JL order... What do I buy?

kaffeian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 door Sport
Occupation
Lead Machine Operator
Hey everyone. I’m fairly new here and do have a 2018 JL SportS two door. I like it a lot. I am coming from a sports car/tuner background. I am almost 40 and had to give up that “life” for a few reasons, the main being I can’t drive a stick anymore due to ankle/knee issues.
I digress. My current Jeep was as “cheap” as I could go to test the waters. I leased it and my lease will be up in 11 months. I am in the planning stages of my next Jeep. I obviously would love to get a Rubicon, but, my wife and I would like to upgrade our house next year and that may not be an option. Reasons for not buying out my current lease are simple. We need 4 doors. I leased this one before we were married and it was just my son and I. It’s not just us anymore and taking trips with a 2 door is just out of the question.
I know we don’t want a Sahara. I have been looking at the Willys or the 80th. They both have pros and cons. The one option we can’t get is leather on either of those. I have friends that live in Utah and want very much to start Jeeping with them. My dad also goes out west every year with his Jeep (now Gladiator Rubicon) so being able to keep up on trails would be important.
Wondering if the Willys is really a viable “sub” for the Rubicon. I hate the black grill but don’t have an option on that. I would probably try to wrap the grill to match as close as I could on color. My wife likes the 80th better than the Willys, but says “it’s your Jeep”. Like a good husband I also know that means “listen to me and what I’m saying”. I have a set of the Rubicon wheels (optional ones) that I am keeping and would put on whatever we get.
Anyway. Any opinions or advice would be very helpful. We are not opposed to looking at used either but we will probably be leasing again to keep payments down so a Rubicon will still be out of the question most likely. Thanks in advance and I’m sorry for the long post. Cheers. Added a pic of the current Jeep for attention.

998C2E97-BFB2-4435-AA5F-ECADE36D01B5.jpeg
Sponsored

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
Assuming you aren't doing anything crazy, I would think a Willys will get you where you need to go. As far as the black grill, if you are lucky you may be able to find someone with the same color jeep as you that wants to swap. I have a billet silver sport and would gladly switch grills with somebody that has a Willys.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Hey everyone. I’m fairly new here and do have a 2018 JL SportS two door. I like it a lot.
I don't know the specifics of your lease deal, but I would encourage you to keep it. I have a wife and 2 kids, we all fit in my 2 door and the kids love it. But on bigger trips we take her 4 door SUV. I went out of my way to get the black grille for mine (ebay). I wouldn't let that deter you. Automotivetouchup.com can get you a can of matching spray paint if you want to go that route, it's affordable. Shop around if you're going to buy, prices are all over the place and you can save a fortune if you're willing to drive a bit. I went 8 hours away to buy the cheapest 2020 Rubicon in the country at the time.

OP
OP
kaffeian

kaffeian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 door Sport
Occupation
Lead Machine Operator
Assuming you aren't doing anything crazy, I would think a Willys will get you where you need to go. As far as the black grill, if you are lucky you may be able to find someone with the same color jeep as you that wants to swap. I have a billet silver sport and would gladly switch grills with somebody that has a Willys.
Wouldn’t be doing anything too crazy. Off road wise. 99% of my driving will be to and from work. Mix of country roads and main 4 lane. Lots of snow where we live so the 4 wheel drive is important. We’re looking for a white, granite or sting grey.

OP
OP
kaffeian

kaffeian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 door Sport
Occupation
Lead Machine Operator
I don't know the specifics of your lease deal, but I would encourage you to keep it. I have a wife and 2 kids, we all fit in my 2 door and the kids love it. But on bigger trips we take her 4 door SUV. I went out of my way to get the black grille for mine (ebay). I wouldn't let that deter you. Automotivetouchup.com can get you a can of matching spray paint if you want to go that route, it's affordable. Shop around if you're going to buy, prices are all over the place and you can save a fortune if you're willing to drive a bit. I went 8 hours away to buy the cheapest 2020 Rubicon in the country at the time.
I’ve been talking with two dealers. I am way under miles on my lease. I have almost 14k and my lease allows for 12 a year. I’m two years in. My wife has a Camry so we use that most of the time with the kids but that won’t allow for a long trip to go off roading our west. The black grill with the Sarge would be a good combo.We’re looking at white, granite or sting grey. The white and black is just blah in my opinion.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Your 2 door has a lower residual than a 4 door, so you might be surprised. If you are able to get a great discount (check the forums for what others are getting, I am assuming you might be able to do better this time around), that combination with the 4 door residual value, it's possible it might be closer than you think.

That said, you don't need a Rubicon if you're not going to be doing difficult trails. Even the sport is plenty capable as you're probably aware (even in Moab) assuming a limited slip. Throw on some quick disconnects, a bit of lift and some 35's -- you'll surprise yourself, even in Moab. Willys is a good option -- cloth isn't bad IMO. If you really hate it, for $1500 add Katzkin for the duration of the lease.

kmmn

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary EcoDiesel, 2013 JK Sport & 2014 JK Sport
I miss the old days when you could order any option individually, but then the manufacturers realized they could make more money by packaging options.

Decide what you like and don't like on the 80th Anniversary vs. the Willys and then estimate the cost the change them out to see if that tips the scales one way or the other. Let's say you want painted fenders, then it's the 80th Anniversary, because doing that after the fact is cost prohibitive (especially on a lease). If it's only the black grille on the Willys, start looking for one in the color you want now and have it ready for when you order. Good luck!

OP
OP
kaffeian

kaffeian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 door Sport
Occupation
Lead Machine Operator
Your 2 door has a lower residual than a 4 door, so you might be surprised. If you are able to get a great discount (check the forums for what others are getting, I am assuming you might be able to do better this time around), that combination with the 4 door residual value, it's possible it might be closer than you think.

That said, you don't need a Rubicon if you're not going to be doing difficult trails. Even the sport is plenty capable as you're probably aware (even in Moab) assuming a limited slip. Throw on some quick disconnects, a bit of lift and some 35's -- you'll surprise yourself, even in Moab. Willys is a good option -- cloth isn't bad IMO. If you really hate it, for $1500 add Katzkin for the duration of the lease.
I was thinking a lot of that. I am waiting until I'm closer to the end of the lease to talk to my dealer about the over under as to where I'm at. I don't mind the cloth too much honestly, with kids the leather is just such quick clean up vs the cloth. I looked at Katzkin and if we can't get the leather it is something we would probably add down the line.

OP
OP
kaffeian

kaffeian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 door Sport
Occupation
Lead Machine Operator
I miss the old days when you could order any option individually, but then the manufacturers realized they could make more money by packaging options.

Decide what you like and don't like on the 80th Anniversary vs. the Willys and then estimate the cost the change them out to see if that tips the scales one way or the other. Let's say you want painted fenders, then it's the 80th Anniversary, because doing that after the fact is cost prohibitive (especially on a lease). If it's only the black grille on the Willys, start looking for one in the color you want now and have it ready for when you order. Good luck!
Probably lean towards the Willys. My wife doesn't really like driving the Jeep as it is. I have a lot of experience with wraps so I wouldn't be afraid to wrap the grill myself. It's odd because I didn't mind the grill on the Recon with the color matched "boarder". The full black is just too much. Still really leaning to a Rubicon, we just have to wait and see where we're at. I forgot to mention too that we want the 4 cylinder.

OP
OP
kaffeian

kaffeian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 door Sport
Occupation
Lead Machine Operator
Well, my wife and I decided to order a 80th. I got a full set of Rubicon suspension ready to put on this summer. We went Crystal Granite with a hard top and cold weather. Will add, LED's and a tow pack as well.
Sponsored