• Total voters

AleYeah

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU Sport
I voted undecided. I kinda lean toward liking the JL better, but in terms of my next purchase, I kinda lean toward another JK at the moment for these monetary reasons:
  • The big (for my budget) bump in base price of the JL.
  • The assumption I won't be able to swap my extra set of factory half doors onto the JL.
  • The possibility I won't be able to swap my aftermarket wheels onto the JL if the bolt pattern changes.
  • The certainty I won't be able to swap my Gobi rack onto the JL.

Not $ related, but I'm also not a fan of buying in the first year or 2 of a new incarnation of a vehicle.

Most likely, I'll buy one more JKU... but lust after the JL and keep track of it on the forums until I finally get one!

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
How do you figure the $2,500 price increase is "way too high"?
There are lots of Safety , Performance, Convenience features built into the JL.
Would I like to see "No Increase "? You Betcha, but Surprise ! Engineering design manufacturing a new product COSTS MONEY.
Because the price of current JK is too high. Which means the increase for JL is automatically way too high.

This is a small, ladder frame 4x4 with primitive axles, relatively small amount of body, and relatively primitive interior compared to other 4x4s on the market. Yet, the pricing on the average JKU sold is in the ball park of what a full size crew cab pickup truck costs, or a more nicely equipped SUV. Jeep is raping people...and they're able to do it on popularity, not on value.

If the Wrangler was priced according to what it costs to build it, we'd see huge MSRP reductions. Not increases.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Because the price of current JK is too high. Which means the increase for JL is automatically way too high.

This is a small, ladder frame 4x4 with primitive axles, relatively small amount of body, and relatively primitive interior compared to other 4x4s on the market. Yet, the pricing on the average JKU sold is in the ball park of what a full size crew cab pickup truck costs, or a more nicely equipped SUV. Jeep is raping people...and they're able to do it on popularity, not on value.

If the Wrangler was priced according to what it costs to build it, we'd see huge MSRP reductions. Not increases.
I disagree. The Wrangler is as good of a vehicle as any you can buy out there, and out-performs 99% of them on the trail. The fact that it's slightly smaller than a full sized truck is no more a factor than the price of shoes, regardless of size. Everything on Wranglers is built to last and stand up to abuse. Steel purpose-built ladder frame, hardcore off road worthy drive train (with heavy duty transmission, T-case and drive axles), water and dirt resistant interior, seats that don't buckle and bend when bounced, removable top, and so on...

Resale bears that out too. The fact that they hold that value is the final word in whether they're priced correctly. It's a consumer product and pricing is what the market will bear.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Jeep is raping people...and they're able to do it on popularity, not on value.
Not only that, but the Wrangler has virtually no competition anymore.

Everything on Wranglers is built to last
Woah, woah, woah. Let's not start talking crazy now.

Sponsored

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I would like to say thank you JK, your good past will remain a catalyst for a better future.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7

It's a supply and demand issue... Obviously the demand is there and Jeep is the only one who supplies anything remotely like a wrangler. If the new Bronco is a true competitor, Jeep will have to up its game to compete. Which means cheaper prices, or more for the current price.

RockAltered

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR V6 AT & 23 Ram Limited 4x4
Occupation
Retired.
Not sure about the fenders but like the rest of what we see. I will buy a JLU gas V6 Rubi as my DD but still want and would be willing to pay for a factory V8 option.

JaybearWL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0t
It's easy for me to say JL because a) I don't have a JK to feel sentimental about and b) I require the foo-foo creature comforts in a daily driver for client ride alongs (it's important to biz).

Sponsored

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel
jl for sure there was always something not sure what but something i wasnt keen on about the jk

OP
OP
YFD_322

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
jl for sure there was always something not sure what but something i wasnt keen on about the jk
I feel the same way right now about the JL. Thank God they are giving us a choice now between JK and JL

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
the interior could change my vote I really like the current jku but don't like the black leather give me white exterior and tan leather and front and rear lockers. = take my order now

N2MYJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JK
To answer the poll question, JL for me. BUT, I don't see me in one for a while. I remember getting into a JK when it 1st came out and was very disappointed but now im in a '15 and loving it. Its not worth it for me to jump to the JL...yet.

freegld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
This really is a no-brainer...JL. I've wanted a Wrangler for years, but couldn't pull the trigger because the JK is a sub-quality product for the price. With the JL, take any JK component, and from what we know, the JL has significantly improved.
Sponsored