• Undecided

Votes: 11 10.1%

• Total voters

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
My real and only issue with the JL is the tires I've been seeing on the mules. The Rubicons have been riding around on some seriously upgraded rubber, while the lower end models look like they have downgraded tires in comparison to JK. We aren't buying Jeeps for highway comfort. And if anyone does care about that, make it an option.
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Tyres that we've seen seem appropriate and would be an upgrade over existing for the most part (or making Special Edition option standard for lower end)

Rubicon: BFG KM -> larger BFG KM2

Sahara: Bridgestone Dueller -> BFG KO2 and GoodYear Silent Armor (both of which are current Special Edition options)

Sport: GoodYear SRA -> larger BridgeStone Dueller Revo2 (which admitedly was a recent add for current JKs but for 16" not 17" which doesn't seem to be coming to JL) and also seen Falken WildPeak) plus the basic 17" SRAs already out there, which are fine for middle America grocery getter.

Tyres & Rims are the least of our worries, you can get a complete set of Wrangler take-off tires (tyres & rims) for about $1,000 on Craig's list or the forums, and often even dealerships, and then sell your as winters or spares to somone who prefers what you have. I have 3 full sets (plus a set of aggressive winters with 2012 tpms sensors that don't work on the 2015) from buying those deals. Full Rubicon rims & tyres with 0 miles (still had the rubber hairs all over them) from the dealership for $1,000 CANADIAN and got them to put Nitrogen in them and swap them on for free for 'taking them off their hands'. :dance:

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
I like what I am seeing and if the JL improves on the JK then what is there NOT to like?!? The only downside I see so far are the LEDs on the front fenders and not sure if that is an option or standard (most likely). Besides that I need to get my hands on one to truly know.

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
The base JLs don't do much for me and look just as old as the JKs without the LED headlights/DRLs/tailights.. Also, I'm seeing more and more parts that I'd like to remove (fender lights/lip, horribly cheap looking running boards, highway tires, MISERABLE headlights/tailights on base models, etc). Also, I'm not in the market for a luxury car. I don't want to pay over 35k for the Jeep to look decent. Power folding roof? I'll reserve my judgement on that until I see it, but i'll say this. If the JL hits $50k+, WITHOUT a hemi, the Wrangler has lost its essence.

Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
The base JLs don't do much for me and look just as old as the JKs without the LED headlights/DRLs/tailights.. Also, I'm seeing more and more parts that I'd like to remove (fender lights/lip, horribly cheap looking running boards, highway tires, MISERABLE headlights/tailights on base models, etc). Also, I'm not in the market for a luxury car. I don't want to pay over 35k for the Jeep to look decent. Power folding roof? I'll reserve my judgement on that until I see it, but i'll say this. If the JL hits $50k+, WITHOUT a hemi, the Wrangler has lost its essence.
I think the place the average Joe will notice the difference of a JK and JL will be the interior. Most regular people couldnt tell the difference from a YJ, TJ, JK, or JL except that one has square head lights and some have 4 doors. Jeeps are timeless. But that's why the JL looks just as old (timeless) as a JK without the obviously new LED shiny lights.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well looking like the JK isn't all that bad, the most important upgrades aren't outwardly visually important it's the engine, transmission, suspension, and interior that are the big differentiators.

Remember there will likely be a base JL Sport without rails, and the cheesy rails were likely for Saharas just like their current JK offering.
With the Sport there's probably the option for more basic tubular rails which we haven't seen yet. But even no rails and adding something like Ace engineering tubes (even over the rubi rails we've already seen) is pretty cheap & easy.

And if they stay true to the JK Sport spirit, then you might get more aggressive tyres with an HD suspension upgrade option, we'll see..

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
For me I voted JL for the interior/tech. I've had four JK's, and in between I purchased a Ram 2500 Lariat with nearly every option. I missed my JK so much I sold the Ram and went back to another JK. I really missed all the tech stuff on the Ram. They keyless entry/go was probably the biggest things for me next to the 8" entertainment system. The cooled seats would be really nice on the trail with top off, but I doubt the wrangler will come with those. If they add keyless entry/go on the JL with a head unit that is capable of android auto it will make the JL much more liveable for me. It doesn't have to be 8" because you sit much closer to the dash in the Jeep, but something I can see and easily control would be great. The 430n I had in most of my wranglers was a Joke for it's time. My wifes Explorer with the ford Sync was light years beyond that unit and it was 5 years older than my last JK.

For everything else they could leave the JK suspension/body the way it is, add those features and I would be a happy man!

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

JL's JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future 2018 JL
For me I voted JL for the interior/tech. If they add keyless entry/go on the JL with a head unit that is capable of android auto it will make the JL much more liveable for me. It doesn't have to be 8" because you sit much closer to the dash in the Jeep, but something I can see and easily control would be great. The 430n I had in most of my wranglers was a Joke for it's time. My wifes Explorer with the ford Sync was light years beyond that unit and it was 5 years older than my last JK.

For everything else they could leave the JK suspension/body the way it is, add those features and I would be a happy man!
Sounds like you haven't seen all the confirmed tech listed in the info compilation thread
- http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...l-jlu-and-2019-pickup-jt-info-compilation.21/

There's probably a lot more tech than you thought was coming :like:

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I've kept away from the forums until they started releasing more "naked" photos of the JL. I did see first interior pictures, and was very happy with what was there. I hope these "tech" upgrades don't take the JL out of my price range. The last two JK's I purchased new were pretty much base other than being Rubicons. I did like the upgraded alpine sound system on the used 2015 HR I purchased, but when I purchased my 2016 it was pretty much base due to the price of some of the "upgrades." That and it was hard to find a manual on the lot with just the sound system upgrade(Didn't want to pay for the 430n as almost everything I play now if via my phone.) I miss the days when the Rubicons came standard with the Infinity speakers, subwoofer and amp. While not perfect it was great for my podcasts and occasional music.

Can't wait guys! With the floods in Houston I may end up with a flooded JK with a swapped hemi or LS until they release the JL diesel. But patience is not one of my virtues, and seeing the new JL's on the street will make me want one right away...
Sponsored