Sponsored

JL Offset & Backspacing Finally Answered!

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
This thread really does not give anyone any good information without telling us how much bumpstop front and rear. Rubbing or not rubbing is usually because of the amount of bumpstop.
Good point! I was thinking the OP was meaning steering lock to lock rubbing on a flat surface. I didn’t even consider rubbing while flexing.
Sponsored

Cavs42

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
35s on -15 backspacing with no lift WILL rub on full flex. Otherwise it is absolute money.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Offset & Backspacing Finally Answered! 20210901_102114

DLW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Might have this all wrong, I thought the best offset/backspace would be one that gives proper/best scrub radius? Otherwise it is a compromise for getting clearance. This is why wider axles are available with larger tires (amongst other things like strength) to overcome some of the clearance issues and maintain good scrub radius. There is a couple really good threads about scrub radius by smarter folks than me I found very informative.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Might have this all wrong, I thought the best offset/backspace would be one that gives proper/best scrub radius? Otherwise it is a compromise for getting clearance. This is why wider axles are available with larger tires (amongst other things like strength) to overcome some of the clearance issues and maintain good scrub radius. There is a couple really good threads about scrub radius by smarter folks than me I found very informative.
Good post!
I think scrub radius takes a back seat around here, many just get the wheel/tire they like and if it fits it's all good. IMO it's best to get the offset closest to stock that allows full suspension flex. Of course those w/ 4+ inches of lift w/ huge tires are going to have to throw scrub radius out the window and just deal w/ having steering geometry out of whack unless you plan on plenty of bump stop.

Luckily w/ the trails I want to run and keeping a lower center of gravity build I can keep the scrub pretty close (running an 8.5 +10 offset). I have 315/70s ready to install, been saying that for over a year, but w/ the gas prices I haven't driven it enough to wear out my current 295/70 Patagonias.
I did add an inch of bump so hopefully that's all I will need to go w/ the bigger tires, time will tell :)

DLW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Good post!
I think scrub radius takes a back seat around here, many just get the wheel/tire they like and if it fits it's all good. IMO it's best to get the offset closest to stock that allows full suspension flex. Of course those w/ 4+ inches of lift w/ huge tires are going to have to throw scrub radius out the window and just deal w/ having steering geometry out of whack unless you plan on plenty of bump stop.

Luckily w/ the trails I want to run and keeping a lower center of gravity build I can keep the scrub pretty close (running an 8.5 +10 offset). I have 315/70s ready to install, been saying that for over a year, but w/ the gas prices I haven't driven it enough to wear out my current 295/70 Patagonias.
I did add an inch of bump so hopefully that's all I will need to go w/ the bigger tires, time will tell :)
Very good points. I also made the same, for lack of a better word, mistake choosing 3.5" BS wheels on stock Rubicon axles when I went with 38's. I did not understand scrub radius at the time or I would have chose a different route I think. I'll be going 1 tons at some point where I will need new wheels anyway, and will have to choose someone that offers wider axles, so that put's UD60's out.

Liking that Avatar in your sig :)

Sponsored

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
  • JL Model: Sport with Rubicon axles
  • Wheel: AEV Pintler JK version
  • Offset: +10
  • Backspacing: 5.2"
  • Tire Make: BFG KO2
  • Tire Size: 315/70 17)
  • Lift: 0 (rubicon springs) or 2"
  • Rubbing: Rubs fender liners with no lift, fine with 2" AEV spacer lift(1.5 or 2" bumpstop)

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Offset & Backspacing Finally Answered! IMG_4691

Last edited:

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
This is a topic, that it seems like has been discussed and mis-understood on vehicle forums ongoing.
First off, one doesn't need to be concerned about offset. With a wheel the concerns are the size 17",18", or larger, or smaller. mounting bolt pattern, proper mounting hole to stud size, Rim width and back spacing. And let's not forget price..LOL Most by far will use a 17", or 18" wheel, with a Rim width of 8.5" to 9.0", with a Back Spacing of 5.2 to 4.5. Most any size tires that we choose to run, will work good with this combination.

Below is more info that may help, example how to measure Back Spacing.:
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Offset & Backspacing Finally Answered! image-1483892585 offset

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Offset & Backspacing Finally Answered! image-965982043 custom wheel chart

^^^ The reason that knowing a offset number, is not really needed, is Because it changes by Rim width. EXAMPLE: A 8.5" RIM WIDTH, WITH A BACK SPACING OF 4.5 SHOWS A OFFSET OF -6. BUT WITH A 9" RIM WIDE, AND THE SAME BACK SPACING OF 4.5 SHOWS A OFFSET OF -12.
SO PLEASE, DONT BE CONCERENED ABOUT OFFSET. CONCENTRATE ON RIM WIDTH AND BACK SPACING, PLUS WHAT HAS BEEN MENTIONED ABOVE. BUT FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT FEEL MORE COMFORTABLE WITH OFF-SET! THERE IS CHART ABOVE FOR THE CONVERSION.

Last edited:

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
This is a topic, that it seems like has been discussed and mis-understood on vehicle forums ongoing.
First off, one doesn't need to be concerned about offset. With a wheel the concerns are the size 17",18", or larger, or smaller. mounting bolt pattern, proper mounting hole to stud size, Rim width and back spacing. And let's not forget price..LOL Most by far will use a 17", or 18" wheel, with a Rim width of 8.5" to 9.0", with a Back Spacing of 5.2 to 4.5. Most any size tires that we choose to run, will work good with this combination.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Offset & Backspacing Finally Answered! image-965982043 custom wheel chart

^^^ The reason that knowing a offset number, is not really needed, is Because it changes by Rim width. EXAMPLE: A 8.5" RIM WIDTH, WITH A BACK SPACING OF 4.5 SHOWS A OFFSET OF -6. BUT WITH A 9" RIM WIDE, AND THE SAME BACK SPACING OF 4.5 SHOWS A OFFSET OF -12.
SO PLEASE, DONT BE CONCERENED ABOUT OFFSET. CONCENTRATE ON RIM WIDTH AND BACK SPACING, PLUS WHAT HAS BEEN MENTIONED ABOVE.
i was LITERALLY just having this convo with a buddy who bought his first jeep. He has a JLU sport with 33x12.5R22!!!! With like 2.5" backspacing.... ya it looks ridiculous, and he's trying to find the right wheel specs for a much more useable 33" tire. He kept talking about offset, you just explained it way better than they way I did to him...

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

SO PLEASE, DONT BE CONCERENED ABOUT OFFSET. CONCENTRATE ON RIM WIDTH AND BACK SPACING, PLUS WHAT HAS BEEN MENTIONED ABOVE.
Good stuff, I've always went w/ offset, but backspacing is more common on the 4x4 sites, both will achieve the same basic fitment, just comes down to what you're used to.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!

I always want to know offset (and always start with offset) to give me a better idea how much wheel lip I’ll end up with. I know a -19 or -24mm offset will provide a good looking lip on a 10” wheel. I then double check the backspacing (which is always safe since I run aggressive offsets, but good to know just in case I go with a different wheel width/offset) to make sure I’m not rubbing on the inside.

At least this is how I have always ordered new wheels.

Sometimes there’s a method to my madness and sometimes I’m just mad. 😂

Sponsored

DLW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I'm just the opposite, I kinda hate dealing with offset (dam metric system), backspace is what I grew up using and just makes since to me, it tells me everything I need to know if I have the wheel width. Last time I ordered custom wheels from Billet Specialties, they asked for a lot of measurements, but offset was not one of them, backspace was. I know everyone seems to use offset nowadays, some wheel manufactures provide both even. You can figure out offset and backspace with either measurement though.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link

image-1483892585 offset.jpg

image-965982043 custom wheel chart.jpg

This is a valid approach, especially if you are considering a lift or other suspension component that has backspace requirements.

However, I prefer to think in terms of offset. We see a lot of posts on this board where someone asks for pictures and tire/wheel specifics to achieve a certain amount of "poke." The look is easy to recreate with the same tire size and wheel offset.

Personally, I like to fit the biggest tire possible with minimal lift. This often means a skinny tire that stuffs up into the wheel well when flexed. In the planning stage I flex the rig and measure how much clearance I've got with the existing tire/wheel combo. It's a lot easier to think in terms of offset change when figuring out how big a tire will fit.

Finally, as mentioned a few posts up scrub radius is often overlooked. Installing a taller tire reduces scrub radius and subtracting 5mm of offset for every 2" increase in tire height will bring things back to stock by moving the tire/wheel out a bit.

Last edited:

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
  • JL Model: rubicon
  • Wheel: AEV JL Pintler
  • Offset: 5.77 +25
  • Tire Make: cooper stt pro
  • Tire Size: 37x12.5r17
  • Lift: mopar approx 2.75
  • Rubbing: eleminated rubbing at rear liners with heat reshaping and front LCA's with steering stops out 1/4"
  • Pictures:
  • Jeep Wrangler JL JL Offset & Backspacing Finally Answered! image-965982043 custom wheel chart
Fellow Venturan here!

Deleted member 85946

I wish I had found this thread when I was shopping for wheels and tires!

• JL Model: Rubicon
  • Wheel: Ballistic Rage
  • Offset: -19mm
  • Backspacing: 4.75
  • Tire Make: BFGoodrich Mud Terrain KM3
  • Tire Size: 325/60R20
  • Lift: AEV DualSport 2.5”
  • Rubbing: None
  • Pictures:

• 9943A5F4-17CE-49CD-839F-0397FE5EAB14.jpeg

108D44B3-0DCB-40DA-96AD-9D71BCC8F48E.jpeg

E40899BB-C13D-4E18-9777-9D62ABE20864.jpeg

4440079B-2FAF-40B2-B6FF-FA4E78FA5748.jpeg

D0798741-DC3B-4510-8CC8-18B5FC80E778.jpeg
I was planning on running the same sized tire on a set of kmc km722 (20x9 w/0 offset) wheels.

Have you ever compared your tire side-by-side to a 35x12.50? If so, how much larger was it?

thanks in advanced!

Muskoka Minute

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
This is a valid approach, especially if you are considering a lift or other suspension component that has backspace requirements.

However, I prefer to think in terms of offset. We see a lot of posts on this board where someone asks for pictures and tire/wheel specifics to achieve a certain amount of "poke." The look is easy to recreate with the same tire size and wheel offset.

Personally, I like to fit the biggest tire possible with minimal lift. This often means a skinny tire that stuffs up into the wheel well when flexed. In the planning stage I flex the rig and measure how much clearance I've got with the existing tire/wheel combo. It's a lot easier to think in terms of offset change when figuring out how big a tire will fit.

Finally, as mentioned a few posts up scrub radius is often overlooked. Installing a taller tire reduces scrub radius and adding 5mm of offset for every 2" increase in tire height will bring things back to stock.
So if I have a 286/70R17 (33" tire) with a 17x7.5" rim with 37 Offset.
And I go with a 35/12.5R17 (35" tire) with a 17x9" I would have to go with a 42 Offset to keep my scrub radius?

Is this correct ?
Sponsored