Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
Given our forum audience there is either the group that has a ton of wheeling experience or beginners. More and more I am running into those for whom the JL is their first Jeep or they are new to wheeling. I have seen a few threads where people have asked about going off road or are curious about it.

I have also seen most people on the forum being very patient with newbies in answering questions, but some may not always speak up. So if you are a newb or want a little brush up, here are some tips for going off road.

This just my perspective and my way of mentally categorizing things. I welcome the conversation, and am open to feedback and additions to best practices when wheeling the JL (or any Jeep for that matter).

Sponsored

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I meant to post this yesterday. Some of us may have forgotten where newbies are because it has been so long, but we were all beginners at some point. Here is the summary for those that are interested and prefer the read:

1. Know the conditions. Evaluate the terrain and even talk to those that have run the area before. Are these just dirt roads, will there be rocky terrain, are these mountain passes, or tree-lined trails? Is this a day run or night run, and what will the weather be like? Has it been raining or is is rain in the forecast? All of these things make a difference in what you bring along and in the difficulty level of the trails. Know what you are up against to be able to plan and pack accordingly, as the success of your trip begins before you leave home. If it is your first time in an area, it helps to study a trail map or book that describes the trails, and you can even download available trail maps before you head out.
  2. Know your rig. Evaluate and compare your Jeep to others that are making the run. This includes lift, tire size and type, and winch and lockers or lack thereof. Given the expected conditions, will this be a leisurely ride through some easy trails or will this push your Jeep to the edge of performance? Size matters when going off road and your clearance and other factors can make for a fun time or lots of metal mashing or other issues.
  3. Know your skills. The Jeep Wrangler JL has been touted as the most capable Jeep Wrangler ever, and Jeeps in general have the ability to traverse some pretty tough terrain, even in stock form, but it’s usually the driver that will make or literally break it in tougher situations. Much like the mind can either give up first or push past what the body can do, a skilled driver with a smaller, less capable rig can likely do more with their Jeep than a less experienced driver with a highly-modded or state of the art rig. Big tires and a lift don’t make you invincible, but the JL does have some great features, doesn’t it?
  4. Know who you are wheeling with. This includes their awareness of these tips, their skill level, and their Jeep or other rig. It is almost always best to wheel with a buddy or group, and if you don’t know anyone that can go with you, hook up with a group before heading out and make some new friends on the trail. Most Jeepers are a helpful bunch and will be able to guide you through tougher terrain than you might think you can get through or actually could on your own. Some may be more experienced than you, have winches and other recovery gear when you don’t, or have more detailed knowledge of the trails you are on to help steer you in the right direction or spot you on obstacles. On the other hand, you may be the one with the most recovery gear, experience, or the most capable Jeep, and you could be the one looked at to lead the way and guide the group to success or trouble.
  5. Use common sense. That and mindfulness of safely can go a long way. Trust your instincts and don’t go too far out of your comfort level. Going off road is meant to be fun, it can be dangerous, and you want to make sure you and everyone with you make it home safely. Slow and steady usually wins the race off road. Although it has to happen sometimes, going fast over uneven terrain is the easiest way to break something on the trail or hurt yourself or someone else. Do your best to understand the risk you are taking and do what you can to minimize damage or injury.
  6. Be Prepared. The Boy Scout motto definitely applies here. Make sure you have planned your trip well and have everything you need to be ready for “worst case scenarios” to ensure you are able to have fun and stay safe.
  7. This last tip isn’t a requirement, but it is important and very much like the Golden Rule. Leave things better than when you arrived, or put another way, treat the trails like they were your own and you would want others to treat them. The “Tread Lightly” concept is another way to think of this. Going off road sometimes involves camping or the use of facilities other than just trails, and this rule applies to anything you touch. Enjoying off road parks and public land is a privilege, and above all you are a guest of Mother Nature. Be mindful and respectful of your surroundings and pick up and haul out any waste left by you or others.

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
Are you local? I live about 20 mins from smorr. Know a lot of the trail guides for jamboree too. Enjoyed the video. You should attach a camera to a rig in front of you too so you can get some different shots.

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you! I have a drone now so the next trip will have that feature too, but it’s pretty tricky where I wheel with all the trees. I live in KS but travel all over for business. Any time I need to go to Springfield I take the Jeep and try to hit SMORR. When are you headed there next?

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't even have my jeep yet. It built but not shipped.

I sold my 2 door rubicon a couple years ago for something a bit faster. Depending on when my jeep arrives it might no be until the spring. I try and run them stock a few times and see what I want to upgrade first.

I really wanted to get a drone for that too. You can set it up to just follow the jeep. I'd love to have one next time we go to Colorado.

Sponsored

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Either of you go to Moonlight? Wondering how SMORR compares. Just went to Moonlight once, but seemed like several trails were a hair tight with a little more side/overhead growth hanging on the trails than I'd like.

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Either of you go to Moonlight? Wondering how SMORR compares. Just went to Moonlight once, but seemed like several trails were a hair tight with a little more side/overhead growth hanging on the trails than I'd like.
I wanted to go to moonlight but sold my jeep before I did. Smorr has some of both. I had no problems wheeling a 4 door there tho. There is a park in farmington up around stl thats great if you get the chance to go. Its also a tactical training area too so it's not open every weekend or at least didn't use to be.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I wanted to go to moonlight but sold my jeep before I did. Smorr has some of both. I had no problems wheeling a 4 door there tho. There is a park in farmington up around stl thats great if you get the chance to go. Its also a tactical training area too so it's not open every weekend or at least didn't use to be.
Thanks, I'll have to see what is in Farmington at St. Joe State Park.

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don't even have my jeep yet. It built but not shipped.

I sold my 2 door rubicon a couple years ago for something a bit faster. Depending on when my jeep arrives it might no be until the spring. I try and run them stock a few times and see what I want to upgrade first.

I really wanted to get a drone for that too. You can set it up to just follow the jeep. I'd love to have one next time we go to Colorado.
Well that’s exciting! When you are ready let me know. Agreed the drone would be really cool in Colorado. The same model I have filmed this:

Mind blowing footage!

Sponsored

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I haven’t but heard it’s fun. Headed to Disney, OK this weekend. More open spots and steep rocky areas. SMORR is awesome though, they host a Jeep Jamboree there annually and the place is huge and well-maintained.

POWDO

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I meant to post this yesterday. Some of us may have forgotten where newbies are because it has been so long, but we were all beginners at some point. Here is the summary for those that are interested and prefer the read:

1. Know the conditions. Evaluate the terrain and even talk to those that have run the area before. Are these just dirt roads, will there be rocky terrain, are these mountain passes, or tree-lined trails? Is this a day run or night run, and what will the weather be like? Has it been raining or is is rain in the forecast? All of these things make a difference in what you bring along and in the difficulty level of the trails. Know what you are up against to be able to plan and pack accordingly, as the success of your trip begins before you leave home. If it is your first time in an area, it helps to study a trail map or book that describes the trails, and you can even download available trail maps before you head out.
  2. Know your rig. Evaluate and compare your Jeep to others that are making the run. This includes lift, tire size and type, and winch and lockers or lack thereof. Given the expected conditions, will this be a leisurely ride through some easy trails or will this push your Jeep to the edge of performance? Size matters when going off road and your clearance and other factors can make for a fun time or lots of metal mashing or other issues.
  3. Know your skills. The Jeep Wrangler JL has been touted as the most capable Jeep Wrangler ever, and Jeeps in general have the ability to traverse some pretty tough terrain, even in stock form, but it’s usually the driver that will make or literally break it in tougher situations. Much like the mind can either give up first or push past what the body can do, a skilled driver with a smaller, less capable rig can likely do more with their Jeep than a less experienced driver with a highly-modded or state of the art rig. Big tires and a lift don’t make you invincible, but the JL does have some great features, doesn’t it?
  4. Know who you are wheeling with. This includes their awareness of these tips, their skill level, and their Jeep or other rig. It is almost always best to wheel with a buddy or group, and if you don’t know anyone that can go with you, hook up with a group before heading out and make some new friends on the trail. Most Jeepers are a helpful bunch and will be able to guide you through tougher terrain than you might think you can get through or actually could on your own. Some may be more experienced than you, have winches and other recovery gear when you don’t, or have more detailed knowledge of the trails you are on to help steer you in the right direction or spot you on obstacles. On the other hand, you may be the one with the most recovery gear, experience, or the most capable Jeep, and you could be the one looked at to lead the way and guide the group to success or trouble.
  5. Use common sense. That and mindfulness of safely can go a long way. Trust your instincts and don’t go too far out of your comfort level. Going off road is meant to be fun, it can be dangerous, and you want to make sure you and everyone with you make it home safely. Slow and steady usually wins the race off road. Although it has to happen sometimes, going fast over uneven terrain is the easiest way to break something on the trail or hurt yourself or someone else. Do your best to understand the risk you are taking and do what you can to minimize damage or injury.
  6. Be Prepared. The Boy Scout motto definitely applies here. Make sure you have planned your trip well and have everything you need to be ready for “worst case scenarios” to ensure you are able to have fun and stay safe.
  7. This last tip isn’t a requirement, but it is important and very much like the Golden Rule. Leave things better than when you arrived, or put another way, treat the trails like they were your own and you would want others to treat them. The “Tread Lightly” concept is another way to think of this. Going off road sometimes involves camping or the use of facilities other than just trails, and this rule applies to anything you touch. Enjoying off road parks and public land is a privilege, and above all you are a guest of Mother Nature. Be mindful and respectful of your surroundings and pick up and haul out any waste left by you or others.
Jeremy, great content and your videos are awesome. I follow you on YT and you offer great insight. Keep up the great stuff!

Kent

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
Well that’s exciting! When you are ready let me know. Agreed the drone would be really cool in Colorado. The same model I have filmed this:

Mind blowing footage!
Awesome drone footage from Iceland! Certainly a bucket list trip. I was half expecting to see Slash playing the guitar solo from November Rain at the 0:19 mark :rock:

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Jeremy, great content and your videos are awesome. I follow you on YT and you offer great insight. Keep up the great stuff!

Kent
Appreciate that! Working hard to improve the quality-content, sound, transitions. It’s been fun. Truly appreciate the support and glad you enjoy!
Sponsored