Sponsored

JL Non-Rubicon Cupholder

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
@RDT300 , great write up and thank you for posting!!!!

Two items that may be helpful for folks doing this one:
  1. Light…like every project, lights are your friend
  2. Bottom screws…I’m sure everyone else figured this out, but it took a minute to hit me how to unscrew/screw in the bottom ones that were tough to get to…do the one on the opposite side your working from
    • That is, from the driver’s side, go after the one on the passenger side. Get some light under there and you’ll be able to see the screw head on the opposite side from the top

@18BlackJLRU , great tip on using a piece of wood. I ended up putting a piece on each side which made it really easy.

One complaint…mods like this don’t help me justify buying more tools…:(

But I did anyways! :rock:

Cup Holder.jpg
@GhostDivers where did you purchase your cup holder from?
Sponsored

GhostDivers

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp, 2014 X5 35d, 2020 JLR 6sp
I was going to buy it from Mopar Wholesale Parts (https://www.moparwholesaleparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-rear-console-6bn67tx7ac) only because they had the lowest price I found. Though I'm guessing AllMoparParts.com would have matched. They offer free shipping for orders over $50...this was just under (I think the code is FW2020), so no winning there.

However, I was at the dealer trying to get my squeaking clutch fixed and showed the parts guy the online price and they matched the total price (including shipping). They had it there the next day. You can just drop the part number in Google and you'll see multiple options to purchase. Part number: 6BN67TX7AC

GhostDivers

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp, 2014 X5 35d, 2020 JLR 6sp
As noted, thanks to those who previously posted for outlining this install. I listed out the below for another member and thought it might be useful for those doing this one in the future.

Tools: Make sure you have a 10mm socket/wrench, T20 screwdriver, pry tool (cheap 4 piece set on Amazon works...and you'll find many uses, plus plastic ones are less likely to mar), a board/box/something to help keep the console elevated and lights. Well, that and the replacement cup holder part ;)

Steps I used:
  • Take out the rear floor mats and have a few lights handy
  • Go to the front seat and knock out the two torx screws (T20) under the armrest
    • Then put both front seats all the way forward
  • Use a pry tool(s) starting around the edges of the back part (where the vents/USB's are located)
    • I used a straight one to wedge in about mid-way down to pop out that side, then go around and get the other
  • Unscrew the top T20's on each side of the current tray
  • Use a pry tool pop off the cover to the 10mm bolts on the side of the console (these easily pop off)
  • Remove the 10mm bolts on the side with socket/ratchet (admittedly I used a cordless ratchet) that will allow the center console to be pushed up to get to the bottom of the tray where the bottom two T20’s are located
  • This is where the piece(s) of wood or whatever will come in to push/prop up the console for easier access. Do this.
    • I used a piece of wood on each side to support
    • You only need maybe 2"-2.5" of lift
  • Make sure you have some lights to help you see through the gap to remove the T20 on the opposite side you’re on
    • I shined a light up from the bottom to see the screw on the passenger side (I was on the drivers side at this point)
    • You should be able to slide your hand in from the front of the tray to get at them
    • Then go to the other side of the Jeep to get the other screw
Of course, reverse for the cup holder install.

Get the shop vac out to...when you down there you'll see all the stuff under the seats…

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Finally got around to installing this. Wasn't bad like others said UNTIL you get to the bottom two screws which are inside of the cup holder. Wow. what a PIA. Anyways came out good otherwise and appreciate those folks who posted step by step directions I would have had no clue.

IMG_5640.jpg

IMG_5641.jpg

Sponsored

Cwg33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Diesel, 2024 2-door Willy’s
Thanks for all the great tips guys. With all the helpful info, this only took a little over 10min in the driveway. The wood, and doing the bottom screws from the opposite side made it super easy. I also magnetized my T20 bit to keep the screw from easily dropping.

G13

First Name
Shundo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6
I am late to join this club, but I just replaced the useless tray with cup holders. After reading all the tips, it was not hard at all to remove old and install new one. Only issue I had was that one of the 10mm bolt was spinning at halfway while installing the new cup holders. There was some red locktite on the bolt, and it reminded me of the body bolt removal for Ace Rock Sliders. Has any one had this issue? I went back and forth carefully and gave some pressure when screwing in and the bolt went in at the end.

As for the folding the seat, we have a child seat installed on the passenger side rear, so that side would not go down for a while, at least.

OP
OP
Texas_Yote

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR Granite, 15 JKS 2DR, F80 M3
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
I am late to join this club, but I just replaced the useless tray with cup holders. After reading all the tips, it was not hard at all to remove old and install new one. Only issue I had was that one of the 10mm bolt was spinning at halfway while installing the new cup holders. There was some red locktite on the bolt, and it reminded me of the body bolt removal for Ace Rock Sliders. Has any one had this issue? I went back and forth carefully and gave some pressure when screwing in and the bolt went in at the end.

As for the folding the seat, we have a child seat installed on the passenger side rear, so that side would not go down for a while, at least.
The only thing I remember about those 10mm were the cuts on my hands :) I had a good amount of pressure on them when putting them back in if i remember right, but I could see how that could happen. Glad the install went well!

Rubi JLU

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
So I just replaced the stupid rear tray with the rear cup holders. Wasn't too bad..took me about 30 mins only bc I didn't know what the hell I was doing, how to get it apart since there was no tutorial when I googled it. So yes the first time Google has failed me....lol!!!

1. move the front seats all the way forward

2. remove rear weather mats or floor mats

3. there are small cutouts to the rear sides of the console. use flat tip screw driver and pry then out and down from the top. This reveals 10mm bolts. Remove those.

4. open center console lid. There are six torx (size 20 torx) screws on the top ledge of console. Only have to remove the two back ones located on either side of lid hinge.

5. Now use a flat tip and pry off the backing of the center console on both sides. The whole back part containing the USB and outlet comes off once those torx screws are removed.

IMG_5529.JPG
IMG_5534.JPG
IMG_5640.JPG
IMG_0085.JPG
IMG_1580.JPG
IMG_5932.JPG
IMG_0166.JPG
IMG_1677.JPG
IMG_7176.JPG
IMG_8149.JPG
IMG_9688.JPG
6. There are 4 torx screws that attach the tray/cupholder to console. The top two are easy to get to. To get to the bottom two I had to prop the center console up about 6 inces to reach underneath and feel my way. The screws aren't to tight and were easy to get out.

All and all not bad. The passenger side seat when folded down sits up about 2 inches or so. Still lays flat enough for me to use if I have to put rear seats down.

This was brilliant, thanks for posting this.

josh8811

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon (soon)
Super rad thread. Just ordered me one

Sponsored

MountiesNGamecocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUS, 22 Ram, 14 Must GT, 94 Cobra
So I just replaced the stupid rear tray with the rear cup holders. Wasn't too bad..took me about 30 mins only bc I didn't know what the hell I was doing, how to get it apart since there was no tutorial when I googled it. So yes the first time Google has failed me....lol!!!

1. move the front seats all the way forward

2. remove rear weather mats or floor mats

3. there are small cutouts to the rear sides of the console. use flat tip screw driver and pry then out and down from the top. This reveals 10mm bolts. Remove those.

4. open center console lid. There are six torx (size 20 torx) screws on the top ledge of console. Only have to remove the two back ones located on either side of lid hinge.

5. Now use a flat tip and pry off the backing of the center console on both sides. The whole back part containing the USB and outlet comes off once those torx screws are removed.

There are 4 torx screws that attach the tray/cupholder to console. The top two are easy to get to. To get to the bottom two I had to prop the center console up about 6 inces to reach underneath and feel my way. The screws aren't to tight and were easy to get out.

All and all not bad. The passenger side seat when folded down sits up about 2 inches or so. Still lays flat enough for me to use if I have to put rear seats down.
Just wanted to say thanks. Did this today and your write up made it super simple.

Ferko

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2019
Occupation
Engineer
Today I installed mine. Without RDT300 comments and photos I'd have been lost. It was a great addition and by the time I had to install it I had memorized the steps. I was a bit scared because I don't like to deal with trims. It went quite easyly. Thanks a lot and it seems you have helped a multitude of people.

MILT

First Name
Milt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Honda technician
Great thread. Planning this mod

MILT

First Name
Milt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Honda technician
Question for those who have done this mod: is there enough space on the side of the center panel (above the cup holder) to add 12v plugs?
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Non-Rubicon Cupholder A146D889-7152-48DF-96B9-B1CDD663867F
Sponsored