Sponsored

JL negotiating better than invoice price?

jpb

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Soon 2019 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Hey guys,

I was at the dealership last week and ended up buying a 4 door JL rubicon. What I noticed was I was able to get a better price doing good old fashioned negotiating than using the 1 percent under invoice discount.

I got a 4 door rubicon stick shift with premium audio, LED lighting, and 3 piece freedom top. MSRP price for this is $44,975. Invoice price for this is $41471 and 1 percent under invoice is $41056. I was able to get it at about 4 percent under invoice at $40,208 with just your average negotiating.

Point of the post is, if you’re getting a new JL from the lot, I would try old fashioned negotiating first before bringing up tread lightly or any other companies that offer 1 percent under. Hope this helps

F383CA88-6511-477A-B276-61FDF8695FB5.jpeg
Sponsored

Driggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Hey guys,

I was at the dealership last week and ended up buying a 4 door JL rubicon. What I noticed was I was able to get a better price doing good old fashioned negotiating than using the 1 percent under invoice discount.

I got a 4 door rubicon stick shift with premium audio, LED lighting, and 3 piece freedom top. MSRP price for this is $44,975. Invoice price for this is $41471 and 1 percent under invoice is $41056. I was able to get it at about 4 percent under invoice at $40,208 with just your average negotiating.

Point of the post is, if you’re getting a new JL from the lot, I would try old fashioned negotiating first before bringing up tread lightly or any other companies that offer 1 percent under. Hope this helps

F383CA88-6511-477A-B276-61FDF8695FB5.jpeg
I almost made that mistake and thinking 1% below invoice was a great deal. I knew something was up when they agreed to it right away and wanted me to order right then. Good thing I couldn’t decide on a color and did more research and looked around. With negotiating and all my numbers and prices together I got 4.7% under invoice for a loaded rubicon at that original dealer. I hate negotiating but you’re right it definitely works. I also learned that the dealer gets a 3% kick back for the cost of the vehicle from Chrysler just for selling a vehicle, great to bring up during negotiating when they try to say they are losing money on you.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
It's not an either or. Having an affiliate code can help you get a better deal. It is a locked in ceiling to help with the negotiation and it brings factory money into the deal. It is a starting point. The group buys can work the same way.

Frankly just telling someone they can get X% off just negotiate isn't very helpful. It mostly just stresses them out. They go to a their dealer, the dealer just says there is no way they can do it they would lose money, and now they don't know what to do.

If you want to give them a step-by-step that would be helpful. Otherwise the no-haggle prices are more helpful.

OP
OP

jpb

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Soon 2019 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
I had trouble with the affiliate program. I only had one dealership in Phoenix say that they would honor it. And that one dealership said for only vehicles on the lot. Wouldn’t budge at all.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Just for clarification fellow threaders: are we all talking a "drive off the lot" order as I think the OP might have, or a factory order?

Clearly, driving a new JL off the lot, to the dealer, runs the potential risk of losing a sale from an extremely well financed and motivated seller willing to pay for convenience and buy a that VIN at MSRP (plus?).

Factory orders don't, of course, deprive the dealer of such opportunities. Worse case scenario, if a buyer reneges on a factory order they not only lose their deposit but the dealer finds themselves in possession of another lot JL to sell--likely at higher price than the factory order unless it's really unusually configured.

Yo Sam

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Altitude
Yep I always shop for the best price or I don't buy. I hardly ever buy locally but always start there. I am always amazed at how many pieces pf paper get trotted out expressing the bottom line that really isn't. Heck its all fun and a part of the hunting process as far as I am concerned. This time it's a different story as I ordered what I want instead of what is available. My skills will be tested...LOL!

Malve

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU, 2012 QX56
Occupation
CEO
My window sticker (Granite Crystal JLU Sahara) was $47,400 with a couple options and we got the price down to $42K but I ended up leasing.

I was in the dealership for about 10 minutes, negotiated a price and left a deposit 10 minutes later. Came back a couple of hours later and picked it up.

First Jeep. Saw it at the auto show in L A in December and was very impressed. Never owned a Jeep nor was I in the market for one.
Auto show:
picture.jpg

Mine:
picture.jpg

Last edited:

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter
I almost made that mistake and thinking 1% below invoice was a great deal. I knew something was up when they agreed to it right away and wanted me to order right then. Good thing I couldn’t decide on a color and did more research and looked around. With negotiating and all my numbers and prices together I got 4.7% under invoice for a loaded rubicon at that original dealer. I hate negotiating but you’re right it definitely works. I also learned that the dealer gets a 3% kick back for the cost of the vehicle from Chrysler just for selling a vehicle, great to bring up during negotiating when they try to say they are losing money on you.
I got 6% below invoice on my Rubicon but I ordered it , I know they will go lower on a order

905ED6BF-3A8D-440E-A80A-490C698891EB.png

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pipefitter
I got 6% below invoice on my Rubicon but I ordered it , I know they will go lower on a order

905ED6BF-3A8D-440E-A80A-490C698891EB.png
I wound up adding my more options after he went 6% below invoice

E122444B-DD87-4017-8293-ADA62BCF9460.jpeg

Sponsored

Larsf

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn vue
Most people are pulling 5% below invoice across the country.

Well, at least those that are educated.

I got 6% below myself out in California.
Where in California did you get this?

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pipefitter
I financed thru my credit union 1.5% no trade in 175 for Doc and 145 for plate transfer

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pipefitter