First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I’ve had as many manuals as autos over the years. My last JK was manual and I loved it with the 3.6. My JL is an auto. I decided to rest drive it as 6 speeds were hard to come by in May. Plus there was the employee pricing sale going on. Well, I really like the 8 speed. It is matched very well to the 3.6. If it wasn’t a ZF designed unit I would have held out for a manual. I never got to drive a manual JL, but from all I’ve read it seems like they should have stuck with the JKs clutch and transmission.

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2.0T eTorque
Like others have said I too am one of the always had a manual Jeep before the 8 Speed. I had a 2013 JKR with the 6 speed and was happy with it for the most part. I always liked the manual in the past due to the extra gear or gears and power but now with the 8 speed that is no longer an incentive for getting a manual. Also I wanted the Turbo with the eTorque and it was only offered in the auto. I will say get what you want and makes you happy and don't worry to much about resale ect, but if you are looking for a straight answer to your question yes it will be harder to sell especially now that most manufacturers are making them extinct.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I think you are going to find that 50% of the time 50% of people are going to say that you will get screwed on the manual for trade in but the other 50% of the people will say you will be fine. The other 50% of the time 50% of the people will say you will be fine but the other 50% of the people will say you will get screwed on the trade in. I'm about 50% sure these are the results you are going to get 100% of the time.
50% of our Jeeps have the manual and the other 50% have the automatic.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
That wasn't the case on the 2018 sport s. Mine came with a d35(m200) rear axle from the factory...I ended up swapping in rubi axles.
Are you sure about that? My '18 Sport S by all appearances and the build sheet appears to have the M220.

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Are you sure about that? My '18 Sport S by all appearances and the build sheet appears to have the M220.
Absolutely sure...I verified with Dana and took both axles out with my friends and sold them to a used parts dealer. In June 2018, the d44 rear axle with limited slip was a $500 option on the sport s with 6 speed.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Absolutely sure...I verified with Dana and took both axles out with my friends and sold them to a used parts dealer. In June 2018, the d44 rear axle with limited slip was a $500 option on the sport s with 6 speed.
Maybe the made a mid-year change? Mine was an August build I think and I'm pretty dang sure mine has the D44 rear (non-LSD) based on photo comparisons. Or maybe I can't visually distinguish between the D35 and D44 rears. Doesn't really matter for me anyway since I'm not going to be doing any crazy off-roading or anything.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I will say the 6th gear is pretty useless. I use 4th and 5th mostly, which surprised me.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
There will be no value difference long term. It might be easier to sell quickly with an auto, but that's about it.

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2001 Wrangler, Kia Optima, possibly 2018 Wrangler unlimited
I think you are going to find that 50% of the time 50% of people are going to say that you will get screwed on the manual for trade in but the other 50% of the people will say you will be fine. The other 50% of the time 50% of the people will say you will be fine but the other 50% of the people will say you will get screwed on the trade in. I'm about 50% sure these are the results you are going to get 100% of the time.
50% of our Jeeps have the manual and the other 50% have the automatic.
If you sell it out-right and don't mind waiting for the right buyer the manual shouldn't hurt the value at all.

Sponsored

Mane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner LTD

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2.0T eTorque
I'll add to what I said earlier. It will prob take more time to sell but as far as hurting the value as others have said I don't think it will. The auto will prob sell for a little bit of a premium but that premium was also paid for at purchase.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Maybe the made a mid-year change? Mine was an August build I think and I'm pretty dang sure mine has the D44 rear (non-LSD) based on photo comparisons. Or maybe I can't visually distinguish between the D35 and D44 rears. Doesn't really matter for me anyway since I'm not going to be doing any crazy off-roading or anything.
If you have a non rubicon d44 rear, then you have the limited slip. The part # is on the axle if you want to look at it and google it.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I’ve had as many manuals as autos over the years. My last JK was manual and I loved it with the 3.6. My JL is an auto. I decided to rest drive it as 6 speeds were hard to come by in May. Plus there was the employee pricing sale going on. Well, I really like the 8 speed. It is matched very well to the 3.6. If it wasn’t a ZF designed unit I would have held out for a manual. I never got to drive a manual JL, but from all I’ve read it seems like they should have stuck with the JKs clutch and transmission.
The new transmission is far superior to the JK version and the clutch is fine. The clutch recall wasn't because the clutch was faulty but because they did a poor job of routing hoses and protecting them. The new 6 speed setup is by far the best ever offered on a Jeep.