JL Manual Transmission Values Down the Road

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Anyone have insights into the values of Manual Trans. JL Wranglers a few years from now?

On one hand they will be harder to find, but on the other hand it’s a smaller audience (and probably getting smaller every year) that will be looking for one.
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
When I traded mine in when my truck came in I was hit hard on trade in. They were worried about having to sit on it. I ordered mine out of concern for the 8 speed but it’s proven itself excellent over and over again.

brett

MountiesNGamecocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUS, 22 Ram, 14 Must GT, 94 Cobra
Anyone have insights into the values of Manual Trans. JL Wranglers a few years from now?

On one hand they will be harder to find, but on the other hand it’s a smaller audience (and probably getting smaller every year) that will be looking for one.
I'm on my 6th manual Wrangler since 2007, and I don't feel it has ever been an issue for me. I have always received what I believe are really good trade in values, and never received a negative comment about the third pedal.

When I traded in my last JL, the dealership seemed happy to take the manual in on trade. They could put a stick on the lot for less cost than a new one.

PA JLUR

First Name
Cos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
IMO a manual JL in great condition will demand a premium over auto in the future in the used car market. Especially cause it’s mated to the Pentastar. Dealer trade-in is a different story. Stealerships are going to tell you a bunch of stories about how they can’t move it and how they are just going to wholesale it at the auction. Manuals are at the brink of extinction. Get it while you can!

Forestdawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6 Speed
I don't think they'll hold a premium. I wanted a manual and actually got a good discount because it did sit for so long. Market for these things are fairly small. Shame too because its a good driving manual transmission.

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
IMO a manual JL in great condition will demand a premium over auto in the future in the used car market. Especially cause it’s mated to the Pentastar. Dealer trade-in is a different story. Stealerships are going to tell you a bunch of stories about how they can’t move it and how they are just going to wholesale it at the auction. Manuals are at the brink of extinction. Get it while you can!
On the flip side, drivers that prefer a manual are also on the brink of extinction. I have read numerous accounts of previous manual lovers claim "they've always driven manual jeeps and preferred them UNTIL they drove the JL's 8 speed auto". They claim the new 8 speed is a gamechanger and has converted them. FYI...I'm a die hard manual guy with a 6 speed JLU...even I'll admit the 8 speed is prob superior both on and offroad. :lipssealed:

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Manuals used to be associated with reliability but that's moot with these electronic rat nests we get even in manual JLs. Plus there's the stigma around the bad round of manual JLs.

A modern manual would hold value due to rarity if it came as an option in a high performance model like a V8 and many would like that.

People already know that for off-roading the autos are preffered.

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
I’m not great at math, but if someone can figure out the 2.5K difference at delivery times financing... minus resale and whatnot...

I can’t put a price on how much I love my MT and 3.6. it’s so much fun to drive.

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Manual transmissions used to be more durable and reliable than the slushboxes of yesteryear. But today's auto trannies are worlds ahead of the past, and that is no longer the case They last many hundreds of thousands of miles if serviced and cared for, also offering more speeds and better performance.

I am somebody who has owned many manual transmission vehicles, which include a 1973 Jeep CJ5 with a 304 V8 and 3 speed manual, as well as Dodge Ram 3500 diesel duallies with manual trannies. I will no longer buy a manual. I prefer to be able to grab a sip of some coffee or whatever, never worrying about grabbing a gear. They are the past, for me and many others.

I do not see manuals holding a premium in the future. I see them bringing less money than an 8 speed auto.

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I don't see them bringing less money. They will hold their value as much as any Jeep. I literally drove 8 hours one way to buy mine, I know there are more people like me.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have a manual and do prefer to drive them, but honestly, I bought a manual because I don’t know how to drive offroad in an automatic.

That may sound crazy to some. Anyone remember the ‘quit smoking’ PSA commercials where they showed people having to relearn how to do everything without holding a cigarette? Like the lady trying to back her car out of the driveway without a cigarette and she ran into the garbage cans to the side? She climbed in through the window because she couldn’t figure out how to open the door

Or the documentary where the guy rigged up his bicycle so that turning right actually turned left and vice versa? After training himself he could no longer ride a normal bike.

That’s how I feel about it. Start an obstacle on a crazy incline and suddenly things feel too tippy? Push the clutch in and roll back to save it. Stuff like that. I’d have to rewire my brain.

I think a manual is both safer and easier offroad. Not to mention faster. I can put it in third and cruise along on the easy stuff
(not touching the gas) while my buddies in auto’s refuse to touch the gas pedal and putt along.

Yes, I realize manuals are dying and I’ll have to buy an auto at some point, but seriously, off-roading will take some practice.

To the OP’s question, I didn’t take a hit on my JK. Might have to take one on the JL but I don’t care. I bought this Jeep for me, not for the next owner.

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
I guess it’s a 220 rear axle. I’m not a gear head, but I’m sure some one here can explain the difference. everyone have a good night.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
I think in the very long term - 8-10+ years down the road - they could hold a premium over the autos, but with fewer manual enthusiasts they may take more effort to sell.

However, given that the auto drivetrains are SO much more expensive to buy new it probably comes out as a wash in the nearer term if you sell privately.

But I would not spend a second worrying about resale value. Buy the transmission and engine you want and don't worry about how much it will be worth later. If you're really that worried about resale, don't spend the bucks on paint matched fenders and hard tops and keep your options list very, very short.
Sponsored