Sponsored

JL Manual Transmission (Scraping)

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
I know this thread is old, but I have been searching for a solution to the same problem. Have a 2018 JLU and this same issue started after 25K miles. Took the Jeep to the dealer for the clutch recall and they test drove it indicating that it was fixed. It wasn't. Took the tech out for a ride and could reproduce it each time (accelerating in 2nd above 3000 rpm then shift to 3rd; scraping noise occurs). I don't drive this way all the time, but when entering the highway, or when passing a vehicle, this seems to happen. Jeep is at the shop now. If I am told that the clutch/transmission do not have any issues or unusual wear then, I can live with this issue as I know how to avoid it (slight pause when shifting as the rpms come down). But it just doesn't sound "normal". Will report back once I hear back from the shop.
I would be very interested in what you find out.
Sponsored

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is the same sound you get in a manual when you grind your gears while shifting. Only it happens AFTER the shift, when the clutch is released. Again, only when shifting quickly at high RPMs.

Sandtoaster

First Name
Sandtoaster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
It is the same sound you get in a manual when you grind your gears while shifting. Only it happens AFTER the shift, when the clutch is released. Again, only when shifting quickly at high RPMs.
This did happens once without shifting gears. Was in 3rd, 3000 rpm, was going to shift to 4th, engaged clutch, but decided to stay in 3rd as traffic was slowing ahead. The scraping sound occurred without shifting gears.

Sandtoaster

First Name
Sandtoaster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I would be very interested in what you find out.
Just heard back from the shop after having the JLU for a week. They said I need a new clutch and fly-wheel and this is not covered by the warranty. $1200 with only 33K miles. I asked them to send me photos of the parts. They said they did try to work with Chrysler on this matter, but supposedly they did not agree that this was something under warranty. After this fiasco and the dealing with the death wobble I will be seriously considering the Bronco as my next vehicle.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just heard back from the shop after having the JLU for a week. They said I need a new clutch and fly-wheel and this is not covered by the warranty. $1200 with only 33K miles. I asked them to send me photos of the parts. They said they did try to work with Chrysler on this matter, but supposedly they did not agree that this was something under warranty. After this fiasco and the dealing with the death wobble I will be seriously considering the Bronco as my next vehicle.
Wow, that really sucks. Sorry to hear you're having to deal with that on a vehicle with such low miles.

My clutch has been making that noise from day 1. Has yours always done that too?

Sponsored

Sandtoaster

First Name
Sandtoaster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Wow, that really sucks. Sorry to hear you're having to deal with that on a vehicle with such low miles.

My clutch has been making that noise from day 1. Has yours always done that too?
Pretty much, but it was more noticeable when we started doing more highway driving. That is why I did not think this was a clutch wear issue. Appealing to FCA to see if there anyway i can avoid paying for this. Once I test drive it and the sound disappears, then I will know it was the clutch/flywheel, but I am skeptical.

Sandtoaster

First Name
Sandtoaster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Thanks. I can ask the shop to link into it, but they think it’s a clutch and flywheel problem. Disappointed that it happened after only 30K miles.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pretty much, but it was more noticeable when we started doing more highway driving. That is why I did not think this was a clutch wear issue. Appealing to FCA to see if there anyway i can avoid paying for this. Once I test drive it and the sound disappears, then I will know it was the clutch/flywheel, but I am skeptical.
So did you ever have the clutch and flywheel replaced? And did it solve the issue?
Sponsored