Jmos4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Challenger Scat Pack M6/2007 Ram 2500 G56
Hi,

I am researching getting a new JL with a manual transmission. I recently got a newer Challenger with a 6mt trans and wondering if the Jeep transmission has the same bad devices such as a clutch delay valve (CDV) or a Skip Shift, and if they are on the Jeeps are they easy to disable?

Regards,
Jim
Sponsored

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

I am researching getting a new JL with a manual transmission. I recently got a newer Challenger with a 6mt trans and wondering if the Jeep transmission has the same bad devices such as a clutch delay valve (CDV) or a Skip Shift, and if they are on the Jeeps are they easy to disable?

Regards,
Jim
No and no.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I have a 2019 JLUR w/ 3.6L V6 and the 6spd MT. I like the MT. I think it's a good transmission, as long as you make sure you get the clutch and firmware recalls taken care of; That said- the 8spd Auto is really nice as well. It's probably the only Auto trans I ever enjoyed driving. The only reason I mention this is because it has more drivetrain options on Wrangler than the MT, which is sad... but it is what it is.

toothirtyj

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Hellayella JL Willys, 3.6L/6MT, 4.10's
Occupation
LE
Just researched the clutch delay valve since I'd not heard of that before. I cannot imagine having to deal with that especially in a sporty car like a Challenger or Camaro.

As previously stated, there are no nanny features like that on the Wrangler at this time. My '21 6MT is a blast to drive and I would not trade it for anything. Shifts are crisp, and gears are easy to find. My only issue with it is the reverse lockout "bowl" on the shifter. I'm not a fan of how it looks and have considered trying to make the diameter smaller.

I also have a set of Speed Dawg shift knobs in place of the stock knobs. Their adapters are nice and installation is fairly simple. Stock knobs have a nice feel though.

If you get the manual, I have no doubt you'll enjoy it!

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
My '21 6MT is a blast to drive and I would not trade it for anything.
That's by far the most glowing review I've seen of it. I test-drove a demo 2020 and hated the clutch (feathering it seemed almost impossible), but I ordered one anyway in hopes I can either improve it or learn to live with it.

Do you ever take yours to Redbird? Once I have my JL I'd like to take it there to play.

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
That's by far the most glowing review I've seen of it. I test-drove a demo 2020 and hated the clutch (feathering it seemed almost impossible)
It's hard to feel the "bite" of the clutch, you basically have to learn where it is. Not sure if that is because of the dual friction clutch. I think the transmission itself is great, but the clutch and choice of gearing on the non-Rubicons leave a bit to be desired.

toothirtyj

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Hellayella JL Willys, 3.6L/6MT, 4.10's
Occupation
LE
That's by far the most glowing review I've seen of it. I test-drove a demo 2020 and hated the clutch (feathering it seemed almost impossible), but I ordered one anyway in hopes I can either improve it or learn to live with it.

Do you ever take yours to Redbird? Once I have my JL I'd like to take it there to play.

I admit that I stalled my Willy's out of the lot, in front of the sales rep on delivery day, and many more times after that. It took me a while to learn the clutch but I got there. At 5500 miles in, it fits me like a glove and I look forward to driving it as often as I can. I agree that the clutch could be better but as someone who appreciates, and has a long history with, manual transmissions, I stand by my review... Especially since it seems they'll likely be unavailable to order in the not so distant future.

I have not been to Redbird and actually had not heard of it but after a quick look, it looks like a good time. I've not been able to get on any trails yet but am planning to drive it to Colorado for a week this summer to bounce around in the Rockies. Planning on Ophir Pass, Imogene Pass, and some others yet to be decided.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
I have not been to Redbird and actually had not heard of it but after a quick look, it looks like a good time. I've not been able to get on any trails yet but am planning to drive it to Colorado for a week this summer to bounce around in the Rockies. Planning on Ophir Pass, Imogene Pass, and some others yet to be decided.
In general, Badlands is harder than Redbird, which is harder than Interlake. Redbird is a nice happy medium for me, not interested in destroying my Jeep in the mud.

Colorado is definitely on my list, but I'm not sure I'll ever make it out there. I enjoy state highways/back roads too much to drive the interstate all the way there...and it's too far to comfortably make it without the interstate.

OP
OP
Jmos4

Jmos4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi again,

Thanks all for the insight, rather have 3 pedals, started off looking at a Ram 2500 but with a Hemi you get a dial shifter, If it were available with 3 pedals I'd be all over it, hence the eyeing a Jeep as 3 pedals are a dieing bread, wife has a 15 Rubicon with a Auto, no complaints so another reason for looking at a new Jeep.

Regards,
Jim

Bob_N_AZ

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Ford Excape Hybrid
Hi again,

Thanks all for the insight, rather have 3 pedals, started off looking at a Ram 2500 but with a Hemi you get a dial shifter, If it were available with 3 pedals I'd be all over it, hence the eyeing a Jeep as 3 pedals are a dieing bread, wife has a 15 Rubicon with a Auto, no complaints so another reason for looking at a new Jeep.

Regards,
Jim
I have seen one of those dial shifters on a Dodge truck, not sure if I like it. I ordered a manual Rubi with a 4.88 rear end. That should give it a little spunk

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jmos4

Jmos4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have seen one of those dial shifters on a Dodge truck, not sure if I like it. I ordered a manual Rubi with a 4.88 rear end. That should give it a little spunk
Yeah, not a fan of dials, eyeballing either a JLR or JLUR and also like the idea of 4.88's as eventually 35's might be in order.

Thanks all again,
Jim

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Hi,

Regards,
Jim
I love the M/T on my JT.
You will however need three to four hundred miles to get used to it.
The clutch biting point is too early which is further compounded by the Pentastar's low torque in low RPM. Expect to stall it on traffic stops a couple of times as you get used to it. It took me a week to to drive it like a pro and rebuild my muscle memory.

aville65

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Bug, 09 Jetta, 24 Tiguan R-Line, 21 JL Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Hi,

Regards,
Jim
From the old school of thought it’s not a Jeep if it doesn’t have a clutch pedal. That being said my new Sport S 3.6 was a tough drive till I figured out to turn off the hill holder. And yes it’s initially tough to find that friction zone but it comes with time. I’m two weeks in and haven’t stalled it since day two. They call it a light clutch, I call it smooth, getting to like it. 42 years driving standards, Truimphs, MGs, many VWs and 3 Jeeps, this took a few days to figure out but I love it!

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
No CDV or a Skip Shift on my 2018 JLUS. I really enjoy the 6 speed manual

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
+1 for the 6-speed manual. The clutch does take a little getting use to, but once you do - it's glorious. There is nothing like having another element of control over your vehicle, a deeper connection to it (if you want get all fruity about it) in the sense that the clutch pedal provides additional feedback as to what the vehicle is doing. I also downshift regularly to slow the vehicle down, rather than stomping the breaks. One added benefit is it's easy to disable ESS by keeping your foot on the clutch, if you're too lazy to push the button in the center stack. Often times if I'm pulling up to a light and see it's going to be a short one, I'll just leave my foot on the clutch allowing the motor to continue purring. Something else not mentioned often is, look underneath a Manual Transmission Jeep, then look underneath the Auto. There are far more wires, harness and hardware accompanying the Auto... more to get hung up on. The Manual is 'clean' by comparison. I appreciate the ease of the Auto for sure, but the 'feel' of driving a clutch is all Jeep and I wouldn't have it any other way. Just my 2¢
Sponsored