JL manual trans clutch?

WillIeB

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Colorado
For those with the 6 speed handshaker, how long has your clutch lasted? Im still leaning towards a 6 speed, probably used.

Thanks.
Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
If you search, there’s been reported clutch failures. Some have been warrantied and some not. There’s a few related recalls to the clutch. I personally am not a fan of the clutch and reverse gear in my Jeep. But I don’t regret my decision and would buy it again, purely out of passion for the manual.

I have driven the auto several time; parents have a 2.0 JLU. I will admit the auto is superior and the 2.0 is damn good motor.

Clackalack

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
I have a 2011 with 12k miles. No problems with the clutch. I didn't love it at first, there isn't a whole lot of feel and it was pretty stiff at first, but after a year it's grown on me. The shifter is great, I really like the way it feels.

Gearing is ok, but it's pretty tall. I wish I could add a lower gear for first and get rid of 6th, bump everything up one gear. Reverse is way too fast if the engine isn't warm. Backing out of the driveway is an adventure in the morning.

But those are minor gripes. All in all I really like it.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
It's lasted the whole time I've owned it, never replaced.

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
If you search, there’s been reported clutch failures. Some have been warrantied and some not. There’s a few related recalls to the clutch. I personally am not a fan of the clutch and reverse gear in my Jeep. But I don’t regret my decision and would buy it again, purely out of passion for the manual.

I have driven the auto several time; parents have a 2.0 JLU. I will admit the auto is superior and the 2.0 is damn good motor.

I'm the same way, not a huge fan of the clutch and reverse is not great but I would buy it again in a heartbeat. I really love rowing my own gears and have been doing it for 29 years. I wish the clutch had a bit of a bite to it like all of my other manuals so I could get a little tactile feedback.

EDIT: I have 11K on mine and ripped it through sand in Central Florida and Forest Roads in NC. I really beat mine up pretty good in sand and it doesn't miss a beat except when I'm lost and frustrated. :) I'm sure my technique with the clutch will improve with time.

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
32K and going strong. Never slipped or any issues and it's so much fun to drive, even on 35s. Reverse is shite, but besides that đź‘Ť

Sponsored

MrTimberwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2016 JKU
43K on mine no issues. I'm the only one that drives it. This will really blow you mind, truck driver here after 905,000 miles my original clutch just went out in my semi. Wish passenger vehicles was built like that.

BoiledDogs

First Name
Tex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Gun Bunny
Plenty of life left on my manual '18 JL Sport on 33s with 56k miles. Lots of in town driving and wheelin' at off road parks.

99DD416B-A57A-420A-BDBA-77CBA52B1A73.jpeg