jl manual tranny gas mileage

Donw

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rubicon jl unlimited
O K so I have not been real thrilled about my gas mileage till today. I got my ordered wrangler jl with manual tranny in feb. The best mpg I could get till today was about 18 in fifth gear running 60 to 65 mph. I only have about 350 miles on it so have baybying it till I gat more miles on it. Took it and washed it today and decided to drive it to keep it from spotting. Between 60 to 70 mph it will actually get better mileage in 5th gear than 6th gear. Decided to see how it would run at 75 mph. Holy shit, Damn thing gets 23-24 miles per gallon at 75 in 6th gear. Of course it goes up going down hill and goes down to around 17-18 going up hill or when speeding up. I love my jl rubicon now!!

IMG_1402.JPG
Sponsored

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
A good car wash will do that!

:cwl:

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
Wow, the new JL can defy the laws of physics! Were you hand calculating or going off the Jeep screen? If you spread Crisco all over the Jeep your mileage will go up to 30! Slick!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Donw

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rubicon jl unlimited
Wow, the new JL can defy the laws of physics! Were you hand calculating or going off the Jeep screen? If you spread Crisco all over the Jeep your mileage will go up to 30! Slick!
I was going by the guage showing mpg. I was hoping to get replies from others with a manual tranny to see if they had tried it. I am going to try it again when I get a chance to drive a little farther on freeway. Would like to hear from anyone else with manual transmission. Do either of you have a jl with manual transmission?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I've found the guage to be pretty close. Much closer than the JK, which reads 1mpg higher than it really is.

As far as the highway mileage, it is as much about finding the engine's sweet spot as the speed. There are times that being at slightly higher rpms at the same speed will result in higher gas mileage. The 6th gear is extremely tall. In fact, both 5th and 6th are considered overdrives, with 5th gear in the JL being about the same as 6th in my JK, given the same speed.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
I was going by the guage showing mpg. I was hoping to get replies from others with a manual tranny to see if they had tried it. I am going to try it again when I get a chance to drive a little farther on freeway. Would like to hear from anyone else with manual transmission. Do either of you have a jl with manual transmission?
Nope I had a manual JKU on 35s that got 14-16 MPG. But most of the time you will get lower gas mileage until the engine's fully broken in about 1-2k miles. The dash gauges are usually a mile or so optimistic. Hand calculation is the best way to judge mileage.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I've found the guage to be pretty close. Much closer than the JK, which reads 1mpg higher than it really is.

As far as the highway mileage, it is as much about finding the engine's sweet spot as the speed. There are times that being at slightly higher rpms at the same speed will result in higher gas mileage. The 6th gear is extremely tall. In fact, both 5th and 6th are considered overdrives, with 5th gear in the JL being about the same as 6th in my JK, given the same speed.
I'm wondering if 6th is gonna be worthless with the 3.55 or whatever stock Sport axle ratio below like 75mph. Having double overdrive isn't uncommon in 6 speed manuals at all, but cars like my 6 speed Honda easily cruise 60 to infinity in sixth.

I guess the JL will drive a bit differently. Currently I only downshift for the world's biggest hills or excessive passing power.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm wondering if 6th is gonna be worthless with the 3.55 or whatever stock Sport axle ratio below like 75mph. Having double overdrive isn't uncommon in 6 speed manuals at all, but cars like my 6 speed Honda easily cruise 60 to infinity in sixth.

I guess the JL will drive a bit differently. Currently I only downshift for the world's biggest hills or excessive passing power.
I'd say 60 is the lowest speed at which I go to 6th gear.

Sponsored

Jolonghorn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I just have 300 miles on mine so I’m trying to take it easy. Overall I’m averaging about 17mpg in mostly short trips and city driving. I did reset it for a trip on the highway for about 20 miles and it was hitting about 23.5 for that stretch, and I was in 5th most of the time. As @DanW says, 6th gear is tall and I haven’t found too many instances where I needed it at anything less than 65mph.

OP
OP

Donw

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rubicon jl unlimited
my best avg. mpg so far by tripo is 14.7. I rarely drive over 65 so 6th gear is not much use to me. However if I can get better mpg I may have to start setting cruise at 75. It is my first jeep and drove much better than I thought it would at that speed. Is it safe to drive a jeep unlimited at that speed?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
my best avg. mpg so far by tripo is 14.7. I rarely drive over 65 so 6th gear is not much use to me. However if I can get better mpg I may have to start setting cruise at 75. It is my first jeep and drove much better than I thought it would at that speed. Is it safe to drive a jeep unlimited at that speed?
I had mine up to 85 briefly on 35's with the 2" lift and it was as stable and smooth as my living room sofa. It pulls 6th gear just fine at that speed, too, and could have easily gone faster. Kinda nice for a rolling barn door.

Newbiejeeperjl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unlimited JL
I don’t have a manual but I just passed 1000 miles after 4 weeks of driving. At 850 miles I decided it was time for a road trip. I never drove over 70 mph but my gas mileage was amazing! Week 1 17.2, week 2 17.9, week 3 18.3 all in town driving. My road trip 22.5 with the top off half the trip! The drive was smooth and the gears awesome! Now fix The uconnect and I’ll be really happy!

I forgot to mention. I’m on stock 31s and no lift kit.

Last edited:

FUBAR

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I do everyday going to work on the hwy, cruising speed at about 120km/h and have been for years.

I don’t have a manual but I just passed 1000 miles after 4 weeks of driving. At 850 miles I decided it was time for a road trip. I never drove over 70 mph but my gas mileage was amazing! Week 1 17.2, week 2 17.9, week 3 18.3 all in town driving. My road trip 22.5 with the top off half the trip! The drive was smooth and the gears awesome! Now fix The uconnect and I’ll be really happy!
What's wrong with your uconnect?
Sponsored