Sponsored

JL LEDs

shepherd82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Previously posted in only the lighting thread to no avail... wondering if broadening the search will help..

2020 JL sport S owner here.
I’m curious about the operation of the headlights. I have the factory LED package. The headlights and halos are always on. In all switch settings, day or night, park or drive. Always on. The only thing I seem to have any control over are the park lights and fog lights. I have read the manual, and there are no settings to alter in this particular uconnect with regards to this.
is this normal ?? I see other jeeps frequently with only the halos lit during the day.. is this not an option for me ?
Sponsored

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler, 1964 Land Rover SIIA 88
Huh, that does seem weird. I have a 2020 JL with the LED pkg and the halo’s are on by themselves whenever the switch is in auto. When the car decides it’s dark enough for headlights it turns those on.

I wish the halo’s were also DRL’s. :-/

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
@shepherd82 , Canada eh? That’s why your DRL’s are always on. Canadian law regarding lighting is different than the US and DRL lights are required to illuminate at all times. They are at a reduced light level during the day.

Anyway, you may be able to use the JScan app to change the DRL region to Optional and this will change how they behave, or change the location of them to fog lights or turn signals.

Keep in mind you “may” be in violation of law to do so.

Gregj

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@shepherd82 , Canada eh? That’s why your DRL’s are always on. Canadian law regarding lighting is different than the US and DRL lights are required to illuminate at all times. They are at a reduced light level during the day.

Anyway, you may be able to use the JScan app to change the DRL region to Optional and this will change how they behave, or change the location of them to fog lights or turn signals.

Gregj
@Gregj

BINGO! You get the prize... and your info on using programming to defeat is spot on.. and also your caveat about the law...

OP
OP
shepherd82

shepherd82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Thanks for the replies.
yes Canadian haha. I haven’t actually looked up the rules for my specific area, but as I am currently driving home from work, I see HUNDREDS of vehicles without DRLs sooooo I wonder what the hell thats all about.
the explanation for why my headlights are always on dose seem legit though. So that’s appreciated.
definitely going to have to look into this Jscan app you mentioned..

Sponsored

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Gregj
I live in Canada and Myself and anyone I know with a JL does NOT have constant running full illuminated lights. If left on auto halo during the day and full LED’s at night.

My wife’s car the same (different brand) ....every car I’ve ever owned the same as well.
Also never heard of this law about us Canadians needing to have full on illuminated lights as used during night.
:movember:

OP
OP
shepherd82

shepherd82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I live in Canada and Myself and anyone I know with a JL does NOT have constant running full illuminated lights. If left on auto halo during the day and full LED’s at night.

My wife’s car the same (different brand) ....every car I’ve ever owned the same as well.
Also never heard of this law about us Canadians needing to have full on illuminated lights as used during night.
:movember:
So is my Jeep possibly programmed differently than most ??
the majority of JLs I see around have only halos during daytime as well.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
@Jay 13 lives in Toronto, which seems to have gone rouge on the national light laws, lol.
Gregj

OP
OP
shepherd82

shepherd82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
@Jay 13 lives in Toronto, which seems to have gone rouge on the national light laws, lol.
Gregj
Haha. Yeah- reading the links, it appears Ontario is exempt from the rules for some reason. Not surprising to say the least lol.
with all that said... wouldn’t halos themselves suffice as a DRL ??

Sponsored

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
So is my Jeep possibly programmed differently than most ??
the majority of JLs I see around have only halos during daytime as well.
I can’t say for sure. Only speaking on mine and friends JL’s how they operate. Also as @Gregj alluded to it may be a law from the part in Canada where you’re from. Although you also stated you see other JL’s with the halos

What exactly do you have the lights set too?
i just always leave mine on auto

OP
OP
shepherd82

shepherd82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I can’t say for sure. Only speaking on mine and friends JL’s how they operate.

What exactly do you have the lights set too?
i just always leave mine on auto
Fair enough. I expected that there would be a few responses base on specific laws / regions etc.
My headlights are FULL ON regardless of switch setting. As soon as the engine is running, the headlights are on. No change of intensity with outside light change. Just full on. always.

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Haha. Yeah- reading the links, it appears Ontario is exempt from the rules for some reason. Not surprising to say the least lol.
with all that said... wouldn’t halos themselves suffice as a DRL ??
“Not surprising to say the least lol.”

hey!!! what’s that supposed to mean? :CWL:

OP
OP
shepherd82

shepherd82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
“Not surprising to say the least lol.”

hey!!! what’s that supposed to mean? :CWL:
Haha. No offence intended. One word should clear it up for ya...
Ottawa. LOL
Sponsored