Sponsored

JL Leather trimmed seat option - what exactly are you buying?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Basically true with one stupid sentence put in. Some high level vehicle trims come with quality leather and some people actually park in garages in which case the leather will last indefinitely with minimal care.
I had the exact same impression: an insightful post ruined by one thoughtless comment. Why do people insist on running down others? For seemingly no value other than cruelty.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
I got the saddle back brown leather option for my '20 JLUR because I hate the red dash and red accents that come with the Rubicon and wanted the heated seats. The brown seats comes without red stuff. With that said, mine sure feels and smells like real leather to me. Even a year later. They still look great and are easy to clean. I just use baby wipes.

Nonskid

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon
Personally I LOVE my red dash and accents. LOVE them! LoL. In all seriousness I do think the red dash and stitching goes well with the red Rubicon accents on the outside. I don't much care for the leather dash but I can see how people might like it. Nice to have choices.
As for the leather seats I did go with the black leather trimmed seats. I'm no expert but it looks like leather to me. That being said I wondered why it was called "leather trimmed". Maybe because the seat back is plastic on the front seats and another material on the back of the back seats? Or maybe like someone else has said some of the bits aren't real leather? I've only had mine for a couple of weeks so time will tell. I expect the outside edges to show wear first as I almost slide out of the seat. It's a bit of a drop. Either way I'm very happy that I went with leather over cloth. That might change the first time I climb in on a hot sunny day with the roof off LoL.

Sponsored

musicforme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X v6, Auto, Step-Assist Rock Rails
Curious if there are any photos of the 2022 models with both the leather trimmed and leather seats floating around.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
2018 Sahara "Leather Trimmed " means just that! Some leather if you can find it?

I punched a hole by accident in a Bolster...Faux leather for sure!! No matter love it anyway and will probably outlast the "leather trim"!!!!

Would order again tough stuff and looks good!

Go Jeep!!!

sardogtella

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR. 2021 JLURXR
Curious if there are any photos of the 2022 models with both the leather trimmed and leather seats floating around.
Mine is a 21, picked up last week. It has the leather trim. Cannot really tell which parts are real leather. The back of the drivers seat has a slight body indentation which does not seem to go away.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Leather trimmed seat option - what exactly are you buying? 20211229_231600

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I choose the leather option for my 18 JLUR and couldn't be happier, almost 4 years and 52k miles later and it's holding up great, I love the red stiching too, I condition it with chemical guys leather conditioner, it keeps the leather soft, smooth and smells great, I rub it in and wipe with a microfiber cloth

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I bought my Sahara in 2019. Used some nice Leather protectant and conditioner. It stayed oily and rubbed off on your pants and shirt. Everywhere you sat you can see where its rubbed off.

Real leather will absorb this product and found out later most of the seat is not real leather.

When I ordered my 2021 Rubicon this year I went with the premium cloth seats. I really like them. My Sahara seats are nice but still went with cloth for my Rubicon.
Yeah, my 14 GMC has leather "trimmed" seats too. Just the center panels. Not even the bolsters are leather. We recently bought a large sectional sofa. Our first leather sofa, so I've been researching care products for it. It turns out there are all kinds of leathers. Most of the contemporary leathers have a coating. This coating can be somewhat porous to almost fully sealed. Older or custom leathers may be anniline tanned leathers and be very porous, like a baseball glove. My GMC leather is coated pretty heavily. This new sofa is coated pretty thinly.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I think a person wanting leather has a better quality and color option by going with Katzkin aftermarket covers.
Sponsored