Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Definitely research before going w 1st lease offer:
1. Negotiate 5-12% off Msrp
2. RV is set by Chrysler Capitol
3. MF should be <.002
4. Donā€™t let them add other fees.
5 from thereā€™s itā€™s just an equation.

$378 is likely not a good deal for a stripper sport at 36/10

Hereā€™s my math on a $35k sport ...
35k Msrp
31.5k buy price (cap)
36/10
RV 74% (73% for 36/12 so adding 1%)
MF .002 (this is high?)
... $270/mo without TTL or lease acq cost
... $325/miwith $1200 additional estimate(TTL + fees)

So $378 is 20% too high.
$60/mo may not seem like a lot but an extra 20% is BIG. $60/mo * 36 = $2160. Warren Buffett says thatā€™ll be $20M in 50 years if invested in sp500

(I use Leasematic app ... $2 well spent as you will want real time #s at dealership)

Thanks for your reply. I forgot To mention i have 3 remaining payments on my civic of $225 apiece. I guess I ahould Have negotiated msrp first But i didnt Sign anything for the car so i can Always back out and restart
Sponsored

Francois_Pipes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Thanks for your reply. I forgot To mention i have 3 remaining payments on my civic of $225 apiece. I guess I ahould Have negotiated msrp first But i didnt Sign anything for the car so i can Always back out and restart
I have Gotten quotes at 5 dealerships and that $378 was the cheapest by far. Everyone else was pushing JKs or wanting $415 plus for sport JLs

Jlb1177

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
My latest quote for a JLUR MSRP of 52k, with a trade holding roughly 1700 negative equity for 48 months is 480 with 480 total down. They are also letting me keep my 35x20 wheels which are brand new.

jmill012

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392XR, 22 Model 3 Performance, 22 Wagoneer
My latest quote for a JLUR MSRP of 52k, with a trade holding roughly 1700 negative equity for 48 months is 480 with 480 total down. They are also letting me keep my 35x20 wheels which are brand new.
Sounds like you got a great deal. Congrats!

alterna75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Ok. Here is a quote I got and I am working on figuring out good deals from the BS. So here are the numbers I have been given.

SportS
msrp. 43000
price paid. Dealer playing monthly payment game, but I believe it is about 42000.
State. TX (My understanding is that ALL tax is rolled into payment)
terms. 42 months/15000 yr
drive offs: 1000 (all in)
monthly payment: 458

Residual is: 74 - 75%
MF: ? however, if I am getting this figured out I THINK it is around .00270

Now I am rounding numbers just to get a sense of the numbers, and it seems like a Mediocre-bad deal. But considering I have less than stellar credit I might lean more toward mediocre.

Only bolded numbers are known, all other numbers are based on educated assumptions. Again trying to learn the leasing game.

Sponsored

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Ok. Here is a quote I got and I am working on figuring out good deals from the BS. So here are the numbers I have been given.

SportS
msrp. 43000
price paid. Dealer playing monthly payment game, but I believe it is about 42000.
State. TX (My understanding is that ALL tax is rolled into payment)
terms. 42 months/15000 yr
drive offs: 1000 (all in)
monthly payment: 458

Residual is: 74 - 75%
MF: ? however, if I am getting this figured out I THINK it is around .00270

Now I am rounding numbers just to get a sense of the numbers, and it seems like a Mediocre-bad deal. But considering I have less than stellar credit I might lean more toward mediocre.

Only bolded numbers are known, all other numbers are based on educated assumptions. Again trying to learn the leasing game.
I have a spreadsheet somewhere on the forum that I posted where you can plug in numbers to see details on your lease.

Off the top of my head, what sticks out is the $1k difference in MSRP and what youā€™re paying.

For reference, my numbers are:
MSRP - 53,075
Invoice - 49,838
Price Paid - 47,346

alterna75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
I have a spreadsheet somewhere on the forum that I posted where you can plug in numbers to see details on your lease.

Off the top of my head, what sticks out is the $1k difference in MSRP and what youā€™re paying.

For reference, my numbers are:
MSRP - 53,075
Invoice - 49,838
Price Paid - 47,346
Thanks - well I should have said cap cost not price paid. I believe it is around 42000, which in texas would include tax on the ENTIRE COST of vehicle.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Check out ā€œCULAā€ - google CULA lease. Residuals can be found there for most banks/CUs.
Took me a while to find it, but here is the site Aug0211 is referring to: http://residuals.cula.com/vehicleresidualcalculator/consumer-lease.aspx

The JLU Sport and Sport S residuals are insane. A Sport S on a third-party lease through a credit union could be very sweet. Like $330/month (nothing down) pre-tax on a $45k MSRP vehicle (for 36/10k). That's a Leasehackr score of about 11 years, which is about as good as I've seen for any vehicle (I leased a BMW with a score around 10 years, and was pretty proud of myself). Here is the Leasehackr calculator if you aren't familiar with what I am talking.

https://leasehackr.com/calculator/

yongming

First Name
yong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Took me a while to find it, but here is the site Aug0211 is referring to: http://residuals.cula.com/vehicleresidualcalculator/consumer-lease.aspx

The JLU Sport and Sport S residuals are insane. A Sport S on a third-party lease through a credit union could be very sweet. Like $330/month (nothing down) pre-tax on a $45k MSRP vehicle (for 36/10k). That's a Leasehackr score of about 11 years, which is about as good as I've seen for any vehicle (I leased a BMW with a score around 10 years, and was pretty proud of myself). Here is the Leasehackr calculator if you aren't familiar with what I am talking.

https://leasehackr.com/calculator/
you are awesome!

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Just leased yesterday through my local credit union with the following numbers:

JLU Sahara
$44,710 MSRP (I hunted for a pre-price hike sticker, so it would have been $45,460 if after price hike)
$40,701 Negotiated Price
$299 dealer doc fee
$41,000 out-the-door price
12K miles/year lease
63 month lease term
10 cents/mile overage
$195 lease disposition fee at lease-end
$0 down payment
$0 sales tax (NH - Live Free or Die!)
$341/month payment

Other notes: Credit score is around 800. No trade-in involved. I donā€™t have the paperwork in front of me, so I donā€™t have the residual. I think it was $26K and change. My goal here was to simply get into a fairly well-optioned JL Sahara with no money down and a fairly low monthly payment, and lock that payment in for as long as possible. So, the residual was not of concern. If the residual doesnā€™t match up with current value at lease-end, Iā€™ll just turn it in.

I havenā€™t had a chance to read through this entire thread yet. How do these numbers compare?

Last edited:

Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

JLU Sahara
$44,710 MSRP (I hunted for a pre-price hike sticker, so it would have been $45,460 if after price hike)
$40,701 Negotiated Price
$299 dealer doc fee
12K miles/year lease
63 month lease term
10 cents/mile overage
$0 down payment
$341/month payment

Other notes: Credit score is around 800. No trade-in involved. I donā€™t have the paperwork in front of me, so I donā€™t have the residual. I think it was $26K and change. My goal here was to simply get into a fairly well-optioned JL Sahara with no money down and a fairly low monthly payment, and lock that payment in for as long as possible. So, the residual was not of concern. If the residual doesnā€™t match up with current value at lease-end, Iā€™ll just turn it in.

I havenā€™t had a chance to read through this entire thread yet. How do these numbers compare?
Did I read that right ... 63mo lease? If that was a typo and itā€™s really 36mo, thatā€™s a great deal and I wish I could find that in chicago!

kacper244

First Name
Kacper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2016 VW Jetta, 1993 Wrangler YJ (Sold)

JLU Sahara
$40,701 Negotiated Price
$299 dealer doc fee
12K miles/year lease
63 month lease term
10 cents/mile overage
$0 down payment
$341/month payment

63 month lease term??? :surprised: Did you mean 36?

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Not a typo. It is indeed 63 months. My goal was to lock in a low payment for as long as I could.
I donā€™t want to have a lease that is out of warranty ... repairs and maintenance will drive your effective lease payment up. Potentially quite a bit? Thatā€™s ok when you own as you have an ā€œassetā€ and you trade a monthly payment for monthly maintenance.

Tires=$1k. Brakes=$1k. Etc. I think you are effectively postponing a higher payment? $1k of maintenance / repairs is $16/mo payment equivalent. You could easily drive your effective payment up quite a bit? Iā€™d personally acknowledge that up front and take the higher 36/12 if lease is your path.

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I hear you on the long lease, and youā€™re right about cost of consumables and repairs pushing up my total costs later. Two factors help mitigate the risks though:

1. Iā€™m only driving about 10K miles per year (12K miles is lowest option at this credit union), Iā€™ll still be under the power train warranty for first 60 months of the 63. So, Iā€™d be insulated from the really big $$$$ stuff. Still plenty to go wrong though - especially on a Jeep, and even more so, a new model year!

2. The lease is actually balloon financing that looks like a lease. Itā€™s 62 months of equal payments, then the residual due in month 63. But at lease-end, you can turn in the vehicle and pay the $195 disposition fee, or buy it out, or refinance it. Since it is technically a traditional loan, the title is in my name (with lien holder listed), so I can choose to sell it or trade it in at 36 months (which I might be inclined to do) or at any other point during the 63 months. And with Wranglers having good resale value, I shouldnā€™t get hurt too badly if I want out.
Sponsored