Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the well reasoned response.
Likely you are correct regarding the correlation between running and guilt.
I actually did a ride a long, but that was a youth ride a long years ago. Other than doing that and about 4 months of being "loaned" to the military MPs in Saudi, I have no direct experience with law enforcement.
I grew up in Simi Valley CA during the 80's where, at that time a very high percentage of the LAPD lived.
In fact 4 of our neighbors were LAPD. That's one reason I always find funny when people act like a policemen is somehow more honest than a typical person and give them the benefit of the doubt.
Those dude broke so many laws! Don't get me wrong, they were not bad guys and never did anything seriously wrong. Just stuff that a normal person would never dream of doing because they'd likely get fined or arrested.
Like filling their swimming pools with a fire hydrant or cutting the fence up to the local mountains (privately owned) because they wanted to off road their power wagon. Of course, we thought it was cool as kids.
As an adult, it's a reminder that cops are just like everyone else. Some bad ones do seriously bad shit, while most are decent enough but will break the rules just like anyone else if they know they can get away with it. If I thought for a second I could save a couple grand on my water bill by using the hydrant and know I could get away with it...

Like you say though, I don't know the situation on the ground. Just a video from a certain perspective. Just like your reply gives another perspective and more to think about before rushing to a conclusion.
I can't argue that a lot of cops don't bend the rules and get away with stuff because they won't be held accountable.

During my career I used to preach to my guys a couple of things (among others).
Never drive in a way that you would give someone else a citation for doing.
Never do something that you would arrest someone else for doing.
Always try to treat the public like you would want your parents to be treated.

ButWhatDoIKnow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Wrangler, 2014 Jeep Cherokee, 2015 Abarth 500C
People run for a reason. Have you ever chased down a suspect that was hell bent on getting away? From your post, that answer is no. Once you corner a suspect, they make bad choices that can have fatal consequences for all involved. If you need to get someone into a better position to see or control their hands, then you do so. If they don’t do it when asked, you do it for them. You and I have no idea what the suspect was saying or what they were giving orders to do.
So, why was he running?

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

People run for a reason. Have you ever chased down a suspect that was hell bent on getting away? From your post, that answer is no. Once you corner a suspect, they make bad choices that can have fatal consequences for all involved. If you need to get someone into a better position to see or control their hands, then you do so. If they don’t do it when asked, you do it for them. You and I have no idea what the suspect was saying or what they were giving orders to do.
His hands were up visible and he was not moving he just suffered a rollover he may have been slightly unconscious it was out of line for the cop Yank on him like he did inexcusable this could have caused permanent injury and it was completely unnecessary 10 cops with guns drawn he was no threat. These cops like many need training and self-control.

Sponsored

Steevr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, 2015 F-150 Platinum

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
His hands were up visible and he was not moving he just suffered a rollover he may have been slightly unconscious it was out of line for the cop Yank on him like he did inexcusable this could have caused permanent injury and it was completely unnecessary 10 cops with guns drawn he was no threat. These cops like many need training and self-control.
We had the luxury of seeing it from a birds eye view. We didn’t have the ability to see in detail if there was anything next to the suspect or hear anything the suspect was saying. . Here’s the thing about suspects getting injured. If he had yielded like 99.9% of people, he wouldn't have rolled. He had the ability to yield and be taken into custody safely during a high risk stop. The suspect made that decision for those officers. Pulling someone out of a car isn’t a lack of self control, it’s controlling the situation. Law enforcement’s response to this was reactive to his actions. I urge you to do a ride along sometime. It will open your eyes and let you into the mind of a law enforcement officer who’s willing to put themselves between you and the criminals who endanger you. You might have a slightly different perspective.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
It’s easy to say when you don’t have all the facts that led up to this event. Anyone quick to judge an officer’s response to stopping a threat shouldn’t turn a blind eye to the facts that led up to the situation.

There are times when some officers are way out of line in response to stopping a threat: this is not one of those times.
Pulling someone out of a car isn’t a lack of self control, it’s controlling the situation.
:clap: Exactly.

Only on the Disney channel would the girls from High School Musical 98 jump in and start singing and dancing about being surrounded and giving up, all the while the perp would get out of the wrecked Jeep and join in the ensemble. And then the officers would move in unison to the musical beat while gracefully, tenderly and gently arresting the perp. And then a good lesson about surrendering to the police would be taught to the audience thru song.

Seriously, who watches that shit? I digress. This ain’t the Disney channel and that old man should count his lucky stars that he wasn’t thrown out by the waist of those forsaken shorts after the freedom top was removed.

Imagine the irony, exiting thru the freedom panels to go to jail. If anyone’s worried about this man’s ass and spine, be worried when he is in prison. Because with those butt cheeks, his ass will learn a new meaning of the penal code :giggle:

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
HAAAAA HA HA Kevin - you watch High School Musical on Disney. Just when I started to respect you.

(Love your analogy btw)
Haven’t seen any of them.

But it was the first thing that came to my mind since I saw one of the cast members on Jimmy Fallon prompting the Disney flavor of the month, sing along. It had something to do with these chicks pretending to be pirates and singing with swords. :facepalm:

Disney is a good place to get away from reality. Disney making billions of dollars across their entire portfolio means that many people like to live in fantasy Disney world. Which is why when they see real life like what the topic of discussion is, it shakes their world.

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
He was driving a Sahara. If he had gone to the mall parking lot, they have never caught him. He would have Blended in with the most natural camouflage known to man.

dignan22

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X5 / GX 460 / 1989 Jeep YJ Laredo / 1986 Grand Wagoneer / Reserved 2021 Bronco 4D F.E.
Hope he didn't have any back injury.........they used a bit of excess force yanking on his arm. Wasn't like he was trying to go anywhere.
I have zero sympathy for the stupid driver. It's obvious that he is a complete idiot and put peoples lives in danger by not stopping and trying to get away from the cops.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
I have zero sympathy for the stupid driver. It's obvious that he is a complete idiot and put peoples lives in danger by not stopping and trying to get away from the cops.
Yes he's an idiot and should and will be charged.........
Sponsored