He was just trying to get to the beach.
Sponsored

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
He wasn't moving, both hands visible, hands empty. Yea he's a dirt bag but Excess force is not needed to arrest him.........there goes Florida's citizen's tax money, wasted on a law suit because they failed to assess his injuries and damaged his injured spine. If he has ongoing health issues and goes to jail, he'll get tax payer funded free medical care by the prison doctor if he doesn't sue.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
You and I have no idea what the suspect was saying or what they were giving orders to do.
The dude just flipped his vehicle. He was likely in shock and potentially injured. What they did was potentially life threatening if he had a spinal injury (which even he wouldnā€™t be able to tell).
Just because he ran doesnā€™t mean the cops have a blank check to do whatever they want.

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
People run for a reason. Have you ever chased down a suspect that was hell bent on getting away? From your post, that answer is no. Once you corner a suspect, they make bad choices that can have fatal consequences for all involved. If you need to get someone into a better position to see or control their hands, then you do so. If they donā€™t do it when asked, you do it for them. You and I have no idea what the suspect was saying or what they were giving orders to do.
Bingo.

something like 100 police are killed in the line of duty each year keep the rest of us safe from tjose who would do harm. 100% of this situation could have been avoided if this man With a bad taste in shorts would have simply STOPPED. Good for the cops....... Iā€™m happy to serve on any jury about ā€œinjuriesā€ to Ugly Shorts Man.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Story: https://www.fox13news.com/news/jeep...-south-florida-highway-ends-in-rollover-crash

Sounds like a real winner.

Looks very different from how removing the victim of a rollover accident that wasn't a police chase. I can see both sides, in this case, and at least the other officers told him to chill. I don't know that I'd be rushing in seconds after the vehicle rolled to yank the hard top panels off and pull the guy out unless the Jeep started on fire, or something. What if UglyShorts FloridaMan had a loaded gun? They had at least 10 cops with weapons drawn, waiting for Uglyshorts FloridaMan to show some sign of response.

Curious of Police Protocol from those with actual experience- Mostly because I have no idea and this scenario is one of those that are so crazy, I'm really not sure what best practices would be.

Last edited:

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation
Public Safety & Legal Consultant
Law enforcement is a dangerous occupation because officers are dealing with the absolute unknown. Why was he running (which is a form of resisting arrest)? Who knows, but itā€™s not the officerā€™s place to lose his life because the suspect is a wanted felon (shorts or no shorts), or a pissed off husband who just caught his wife with another guy, or someone just having a really bad day. I understand pulling the suspect out may look bad to the unfamiliar and untrained, but as long as he is in that vehicle he is not secure and he has access to everything contained therein. Out on the pavement, he has access only to what the officer allows him, which isnā€™t much because he is quickly secured.

More officers are killed every year for not taking action than for taking action. Spend some time watching police officer deaths at the hands of bad guys and you would be amazed how fast an officer can get killed. I will never make apologies for officers who gain immediate control of a situation by the book. The Supreme Court of the United States has essentially allowed officers to use deadly force to end vehicle chases; this guy was able to stand up and walk to the squad car. He should be thanking the officer.

At the end of the day, this officer and every officer with him gets to go home and no innocent bystanders are injured or killed by this suspectā€™s foolishness. In my book, thatā€™s a good outcome.

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
He wasn't moving, both hands visible, hands empty. Yea he's a dirt bag but Excess force is not needed to arrest him.........there goes Florida's citizen's tax money, wasted on a law suit because they failed to assess his injuries and damaged his injured spine. If he has ongoing health issues and goes to jail, he'll get tax payer funded free medical care by the prison doctor if he doesn't sue.
Was there a weapon in the car right next to him which caused them to move him away from it before he had a chance to grab it? Was he threatening to shoot? Was there another critically injured person inside the car that was not able to be treated because the suspect was in the way?

We donā€™t know. Even if we did at this point after the investigation is over, you have to judge the scenario with the information that was available to the officers at the time.

Sponsored

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Story: https://www.fox13news.com/news/jeep...-south-florida-highway-ends-in-rollover-crash

Sounds like a real winner.

Looks very different from how removing the victim of a rollover accident that wasn't a police chase. I can see both sides, in this case, and at least the other officers told him to chill. I don't know that I'd be rushing in seconds after the vehicle rolled to yank the hard top panels off and pull the guy out unless the Jeep started on fire, or something. What if UglyShorts FloridaMan had a loaded gun? They had at least 10 cops with weapons drawn, waiting for Uglyshorts FloridaMan to show some sign of response.

Curious of Police Protocol from those with actual experience- Mostly because I have no idea and this scenario is one of those that are so crazy, I'm really not sure what best practices would be.
Tactics were poor to say the least.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Was this recent? If it was, amazing a cop would kneel on a suspects neck.

20200609_204732.jpg

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
The dude just flipped his vehicle. He was likely in shock and potentially injured. What they did was potentially life threatening if he had a spinal injury (which even he wouldnā€™t be able to tell).
Just because he ran doesnā€™t mean the cops have a blank check to do whatever they want.
Anytime you run from capture the cop must assume the worst. When they pulled that top off the Jeep it was unknown if the guy had a gun. Police work is dirty, hard, and dangerous...I saw nothing the least bit excessive. Being an arm chair quarterback from afar is a luxury the cop does not have. Go for a ride along with a cop some evening...itā€™s very enlightening about what they deal with.

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
Excessive force was not utilized to arrest him. Pulling him out by the arms is not considered a use of force. Officers have to move fast because of the ā€œunknownā€ which is how we refer to the rest of the vehicle, before itā€™s been cleared and deemed safe. They then utilized the prone cuffing technique which places no stress or weight on the body.