Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Yea maybe if we ask these criminals real nice to obey the law that would work? Or maybe give them a time out?

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
Yeah, running makes you stupid, but it doesnt make you guilty. Someones people just lose their shit and run.
I can’t speak for everyone, but can say with 100% certainty that in all my time in law enforcement prior to joining the USG, I never. Ever. Had an innocent person run. Every one made a conscious decision to do so. Every one also explained exactly why they ran once they were caught.

There are too many unknowns in situations like these for anyone to know the full story based on a few minutes of tape. As such it is completely improper for anyone to judge whether the use of force was appropriate. Was this one of those “you’ll never take me alive” guys? Was he waving a weapon around inside the Jeep on the way down the road? Was he hollering “I’ll kill everyone if you stop me” into the phone as he was driving? What were the other mechanisms utilized to try and stop him before application of the PIT.... rolling roadblock? Stop sticks? In my former department you couldn’t initiate contact with a fleeing vehicle unless deadly force was justified. Is it that way in this department?

Way more questions than answers in this and many other situations. The rush to judgement in the social media age is amazing. That doesn’t help anyone... the public or the police. Let the investigation occur, the facts come out, and then decide.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
BTW. Yes, no sense risking another life over one already lost. Not gonna bring them back.
So the police aren’t supposed to apprehend a murderer because the person they killed is already dead? “Oh well, missed that one. Let’s go get lunch...” Seriously? And what about trying to catch the guy before he kills another one unnecessarily?

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Pablo, rather than dismiss your comments I want to try and give you a perspective from the other side. I am just talking about this incident.

That subject was wanted for a violent felony crime. You don't get chased by all those cops for a simple traffic violation. He had already shown he would not cooperate and was trying to get away. Very rarely do folks, "lose their shit and run" for a simple violation. They are usually hiding something.

"Clearly not necessary". How do you know? Cops don't have the luxury of reading minds. They didn't know if he was armed and what he was planning on doing. Had they just stood back and let him crawl out he could have easily pulled a gun from his person and started shooting. It happens. You want to get him controlled, handcuffed and searched as soon as possible. You can't relax too soon. One of the #1 reasons cop killers give during an interview for what they've done is. "because he let me".

"being accused or wanted in connection for a crime/s does not automatically make one guilty of the crime and subject to any manor of abuse people may find deserved of one who committed such crimes." You're right. Innocent until proven guilty. But it was the cop's jobs to take him into custody, not determine if he was guilty. They did that. Nobody got hurt and he went to jail. As a side note I can guarantee virtually all cops go through rougher treatment than that every year during DT training and re-certification.

I'd like to suggest that if possible, you do a ride-along with your local law enforcement agency. Preferably during a weekend late shift. It would likely be eye opening for you.
Thanks for the well reasoned response.
Likely you are correct regarding the correlation between running and guilt.
I actually did a ride a long, but that was a youth ride a long years ago. Other than doing that and about 4 months of being "loaned" to the military MPs in Saudi, I have no direct experience with law enforcement.
I grew up in Simi Valley CA during the 80's where, at that time a very high percentage of the LAPD lived.
In fact 4 of our neighbors were LAPD. That's one reason I always find funny when people act like a policemen is somehow more honest than a typical person and give them the benefit of the doubt.
Those dude broke so many laws! Don't get me wrong, they were not bad guys and never did anything seriously wrong. Just stuff that a normal person would never dream of doing because they'd likely get fined or arrested.
Like filling their swimming pools with a fire hydrant or cutting the fence up to the local mountains (privately owned) because they wanted to off road their power wagon. Of course, we thought it was cool as kids.
As an adult, it's a reminder that cops are just like everyone else. Some bad ones do seriously bad shit, while most are decent enough but will break the rules just like anyone else if they know they can get away with it. If I thought for a second I could save a couple grand on my water bill by using the hydrant and know I could get away with it...

Like you say though, I don't know the situation on the ground. Just a video from a certain perspective. Just like your reply gives another perspective and more to think about before rushing to a conclusion.

McCoys

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Alright fess up. Which one of y’all did this?

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Alright fess up. Which one of y’all did this?
New York Post said:
The driver, later identified as Daniel Dovi, 63, has been charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon without intent to kill, two counts of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, two counts of criminal mischief over $1,000, one count of fleeing law enforcement and one count of battery, the Miami Herald reported.

The charges against Dovi, a resident of Sellersville, Pa., came in connection with the incident in the lot and the high-speed chase that followed. He has not been charged in connection with the homicides — but authorities are investigating whether Dovi is connected with the killings given that the lot is located only about a half-mile from where the bodies were found.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL leads Florida cops on car chase and flips over after pit maneuver 773D0D3D-2242-49DE-8A55-6447A18E88B7

Source: https://nypost.com/2020/06/11/bloody-corpses-found-on-florida-beach-may-be-linked-to-dramatic-chase/

Sponsored

Steevr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, 2015 F-150 Platinum