First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
Great pic sdynak! Funny thing...when I first got my JL, I thought the center piece of the FOB was removable...so you could leave the actual key part behind, and leave the small remote control part in your pocket. Man...I am so glad I didn't pry this apart. :)

Christmas would be great this year if someone found an alternate to this FOB.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
55836EE8-252E-4BA8-A870-3B22A7C6B139.jpeg
Until they do something about it, I’ve decided to make it blend in, the wife found this for me
That looks like a Gibson holster that I mentioned earlier. He makes several great styles.:like:

Sponsored

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
I'd like to hear what 2-door Wrangler owners do. Their storage space isn't sufficient to store the key fob behind the back seat? Does Jeep automatically add the Tow Trailer package on 2-doors, so they can use a small trailer to transport the key fob?

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
I live in Texas, seems average size to me.

Holster just makes it bigger, no?

Just eat a bigger breakfast, you'll be able to carry it around, trust me.
I still carry mine in my pocket, even in the holster. I like the size. Holster keeps key from deploying in my pocket, and keeps me from accidentally setting off the alarm, both of which happened numerous times before the holster.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I'd like to hear what 2-door Wrangler owners do. Their storage space isn't sufficient to store the key fob behind the back seat? Does Jeep automatically add the Tow Trailer package on 2-doors, so they can use a small trailer to transport the key fob?
I keep it in my pocket. I don’t understand all the angst over the key size. Benchmade EDC and key fobs (Jeep and GMC) in right pocket, key ring of old fashioned keys in left. Room left over for gum, change, whatever else.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Hey guys. New to the group as I recently bought an 18 ruby and I’m curious about replacing the key fob. It’s the biggest key fob I’ve ever come across and really don’t need to carry the metal key around all the time especially since it’s a push button start. Has anyone found an alternative to the Jeep key fob that is completely outdated? I know it’s a stretch but looking for ideas so I don’t have to carry this monstrous key around. Thanks!
Usually Lance I'm the first one to crack the jokes--as long as the OP's question has basically been answered. But since the humor's been covered, and I think I have "a" solution--by no means an ideal one--I'll take the serious route this time.

The aforementioned key fob holders are universally liked here but they don't obviate the need to carry the fob, just make it easier. I have one, and still carry it and my key in my pocket, so I guess this presents less issue for me than you: but to each their own.

My motivation to get a Gibson one, which is excellent, with no hook and exposed access to the fob buttons was, given its hard leather, to prevent compression within my pants from pressing any of the fob buttons accidentally.

Anyway....

Watch this video .

It involves the purchase of the JL's basic key fob as a workaround for a spare key--even if that's not your intention. It's approach is predicated on a fact that you may or may not be aware of, that a battery dead fob can still start the rig as long as the key fob is the device pressing up against the start button, rather than your finger.

You can take the facts of this video and go several ways with them, including ignoring them. If you incorporate some of these ideas, or follow them literally, should be based on how much you are willing to trade off the rig's security for your convenience at any given parking location: a decision that can change each time you park.

For example, let's assume you buy the low end key fob as the video describes, complete with a key cut by the dealer to match your rig. You put this key only, detaching it from the fob, on your person, and take out the fob's battery and hide it/lock it.

Scenario one, you want full protection: you use your regular key fob, using it to arm and lock your rig, taking it with you.

Scenario two. You want more convenience. You leave the full function key fob in a Farraday bag (fancy speak for one of those bags that blocks fob signals) hidden/locked away (the center console has a lock too on the front on the passenger's side, just like the glove box has a lock as per the video, or hide it somewhere else in the vehicle in the Farraday bag.) You lock your rig manually with the key only. You open it with the key and then either take the full function fob out of the Farraday bag and press the start button with your finger or this fob, or start your rig with the hidden battery-less basic fob pressing the starter key with the fob, not your finger.

I haven't tried this. There may be aspects I'm missing. But at least this provides you with alternatives.

Good luck.

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Im amazed thinking back when tj and lj forums and when jk was released how off-road, technical and engineering oriented the threads were on the forums. Talk about welding and shimming dana carriers and custom fabrication. Now this is what cats are posting now...
No doubt ... culture shock for me ...

OP
OP

LT03

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Usually Lance I'm the first one to crack the jokes--as long as the OP's question has basically been answered. But since the humor's been covered, and I think I have "a" solution--by no means an ideal one--I'll take the serious route this time.

The aforementioned key fob holders are universally liked here but they don't obviate the need to carry the fob, just make it easier. I have one, and still carry it and my key in my pocket, so I guess this presents less issue for me than you: but to each their own.

My motivation to get a Gibson one, which is excellent, with no hook and exposed access to the fob buttons was, given its hard leather, to prevent compression within my pants from pressing any of the fob buttons accidentally.

Anyway....

Watch this video .

It involves the purchase of the JL's basic key fob as a workaround for a spare key--even if that's not your intention. It's approach is predicated on a fact that you may or may not be aware of, that a battery dead fob can still start the rig as long as the key fob is the device pressing up against the start button, rather than your finger.

You can take the facts of this video and go several ways with them, including ignoring them. If you incorporate some of these ideas, or follow them literally, should be based on how much you are willing to trade off the rig's security for your convenience at any given parking location: a decision that can change each time you park.

For example, let's assume you buy the low end key fob as the video describes, complete with a key cut by the dealer to match your rig. You put this key only, detaching it from the fob, on your person, and take out the fob's battery and hide it/lock it.

Scenario one, you want full protection: you use your regular key fob, using it to arm and lock your rig, taking it with you.

Scenario two. You want more convenience. You leave the full function key fob in a Farraday bag (fancy speak for one of those bags that blocks fob signals) hidden/locked away (the center console has a lock too on the front on the passenger's side, just like the glove box has a lock as per the video, or hide it somewhere else in the vehicle in the Farraday bag.) You lock your rig manually with the key only. You open it with the key and then either take the full function fob out of the Farraday bag and press the start button with your finger or this fob, or start your rig with the hidden battery-less basic fob pressing the starter key with the fob, not your finger.

I haven't tried this. There may be aspects I'm missing. But at least this provides you with alternatives.

Good luck.
Appreciate the info. That’s exactly what I was looking for and I’ve found my answer. Thank you for the helpful detailed response.

Riversslivers

First Name
Rivers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr rubicon, Pontiac firebird
Occupation
Lineman/handyman
Mother Nature did provided everyone with a FREE key fob holder.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL key fob alternative kf2
Years later I know...but I had to say that I almost spit out my drink when I read this post.:CWL:
Sponsored