I just answered this for you in the other thread https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-aux-battery-bypass.17293/Can a jumper like yours be purchased? If not...what materials like guage of wire do you use? You are a ROCK STAR!
I think what’s sad here is that there is so much to learn and there really shouldn’t be. Car batteries have worked the same way for almost 100 years and suddenly we need to reverse engineer the ignition system just to teach ourselves how to jump start a dead battery.@Rahneld
The link in your post takes you to a post I made in July 2018. Can tell you that since then, I and other's here, have learned so much more about the Main and Aux batteries and how they play together lets say.
As for me, I think at this point in time / now .... I have a pretty good or at least a much better understanding of the aforementioned. I know I am lets say up to speed on jump starting the JL and more.
I encourage you and other's interested in learning more on this talking point, to do a forum search in regard to all posts made by forum member @Jebiruph . You read all of the posts he has made over the last say 6 months..... and you will have a better understanding to say the least of the two batteries in a 3.6L JL. @Jebiruph has posted pics, diagrams, explanations and more.... much more. DO take the time to to do lots of research.
@Jebiruph, also provided me with / sent me, one of his jumpers, which I have been testing with over the last few months. I know @WranglerMan was also sent a jumper and he too has been testing.
In closing, there is so much I have learned and I'm still learning more each day. There are so many unknowns with this battery(s) thing.
I know I am better prepared now then I was when I had my battery depletion and no start situation. For sure I am much better prepared now then I was.
No regeneration on the 3.6L ESS.I Came across this thread and thought this may help, my car is a Merc so could be different from Wrangler. On the Merc the small aux battery is for stop/start only, everything else is driven by the main starter battery, I believe your battery problems are caused by the computer controlled smart alternator which looks at the SOC of the battery via a sensor attached to the negative rail of the main starter battery under the Hood. If the ECU sees the main battery is low ( may not crank the engine ) stop start will not be engaged. The ECU will not allow the main battery to be charged beyond 80% by the engine, the other 20% can only be filled by regeneration, if there is little regen on the journey the main starter battery will remain near to 80% full which is not too far off flat.
To test this buy this from Ebay ( https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vehicle-...r-Checker-2-8-1-6-1-2inch-Black/223104900451? ), test the charge rate with sensor connected then disconnect sensor drive car for a few days and see if the battery problems have been resolved, if they have this proves it`s the smart charge system which can only be resolved by plenty of regen or disconnection, if disconnected you loose stop/start but will always have a fully charged battery, regards.
Because if you have the answer, or can provide it, you should. Otherwise, why bother posting? Open the thread, start to read, see what it's about, and then leave. Otherwise it's just a useless post.
Amen.I think what’s sad here is that there is so much to learn and there really shouldn’t be. Car batteries have worked the same way for almost 100 years and suddenly we need to reverse engineer the ignition system just to teach ourselves how to jump start a dead battery.
@midwestmaob I'm sorry not only for your bad automotive results but the surgery that may have taken your mind off the rig while you drove yourself to the appointment.Not here to stir the pot or start a debate, just report my experience jumping my JL that I accidentally drained to shit over a few days, (long story by drove myself to a surgery and must have left it in drive, allowing ess to run both batteries down....