JL/JT Dual Battery solutions with the "smart" alternator questions

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
For those of you that know or own these systems, I've been watching quite a few videos from various people about dual battery setups. One main video posted by Andrew St Pierre white got me heavily confused. Now, reading the "how it works" from the genesis website, I clearly understand, and that type of system was all fine and dandy when cars didn't use "smart" alternators that didn't drop the rate of output. Now, we have a system that shuts down the alternator output when it senses the battery (main) is at operating voltage, which creates an issue. Basically, once the cranking battery is charged (and say you just left camp where you heavily drained your aux battery), the rate of charge is significantly reduced, and when the isolator links the 2 batteries together, the aux battery is getting a low and slow rate because the alternator thinks the battery is full or near full, thus feeding it a slower charge. The only solution it seems for modern smart alternators is to have the system have a smart DC-DC converter like one offered by redarc instead of the isolator. How are you guys handling this situation (and have to actually tested that your aux is getting to 100%?
Sponsored

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
The only solution it seems for modern smart alternators is to have the system have a smart DC-DC converter like one offered by redarc instead of the isolator. How are you guys handling this situation (and have to actually tested that your aux is getting to 100%?
I went the opposite direction. I have done loads of research reading articles, product specifications, and video testimonials. I first started with the dc/dc charger (went with CTEK). I now have that set up and charging as an aux system in the back of my rig. This dc/dc has two optional wires for smart alternators and AGM batteries. I have both wire leads installed telling the CTEK which charging profile to use.

Since this is not a daily driver I also purchased the CTEK battery charger multi US 25000. This is an 8-step charger that connects to the starter battery and then begins to charge every battery in the system. My battery monitor shows a charge rate of 14.7 (+/-) when the engine is running or when it is stored in the garage with the multi US 25000 connected.

I just purchased the Genesis DBS yesterday. I will check expo for a good deal on group 25 batteries and install later this summer. For now both front and rear batteries will receive a full charge. I can post up in a few months and report back on the GDBS charge results.

The CTEK in back also charges the system with solar. Once the aux battery is charged it will start sending a pulse to the starter battery in front. I hate being that guy in camp with the engine running to keep the fridge alive!