Sponsored

Euro JEEP

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Looks like FCA delivered on their promise to lighten the Wrangler at least. Assuming these weight figures are for automatic models it looks like about 50-150 pounds weight savings over the JK. Not a ton but every little bit helps with MPG.
Ridiculous weight savings... Though disappointed here, i still love it !
Sponsored

Euro JEEP

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Different gear ratio's are up here! 3.45, 3.73 & 4.10.
Don't believe we ever seen 3.45 before in Wranglers? I remember 3.21 on a TJ.
3.45 for Sport and Sahara
3.73 & 4.10 for Rubicon.
3.73 for 3.0L &2.2L Diesel, Sport Sahara and Rubicon

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Remember that the JL and JKU got slightly bigger (so add extra frame & body weight) to accomodate the bigger transmission, bigger brakes, bigger battery and stronger starter for the ESS (BSG for 2T), plus wider axles, and all the other little things that add up to struggling hard and scrimping to remove a pound here and then having to add two more there.

And I also wonder if the previous base JK weight wasnā€™t also with the significantly lighter 16ā€ steelies with tiny tires which are no longer offered as the base JL. That likely totals 50lbs or more right there for all 5 tires. :idea:

However it is ironic when the weight of the ā€˜fuel saving ESSā€™ components is also negatively impacting the fuel saving weight loses. ;)

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Dan250378

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 530d
Hi all, it is my first post here but following already quite long.

the towing capacity is really strange, we can get the JKU here in Germany with the 3.6l Pentastar and gear ratio 3.73 and then the towing capacity is 2.000 KG mean in lbs abt 4.400 and ok we have here already the diesel not the nice 3.0l V6 but the 2.8l that has a towing capacity of 2.200 kgs - which is 4.850 lbs. do not know why there is such a difference for the European models, but hope for me it will be here more again as well when i read this

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the towing capacity is really strange, we can get the JKU here in Germany with the 3.6l Pentastar and gear ratio 3.73 and then the towing capacity is 2.000 KG mean in lbs abt 4.400 and ok we have here already the diesel not the nice 3.0l V6 but the 2.8l that has a towing capacity of 2.200 kgs - which is 4.850 lbs. do not know why there is such a difference for the European models, but hope for me it will be here more again as well when i read this
Yeah, we were discussing this in the axle thread, and it has come up before in these towing discussions.
The export JKU in Australia was rated for 2,300KG / 5,060 lbs which is why that seemed like a reasonable target for the JLU if they added the Bigger Brakes of the export JKU and whatever else might make a difference.
However it appears that there is something else at play.

We already knew it wasnā€™t the engine due to itā€™s capabilities elsewhere, but the fact that the EcoDiesel is way WAY more powerful than the 2.2L export diesel, yet still get less towing capacity is the shining example that the limits are to be found elsewhere, either in some N.Am.-specific components or N.Am.-specific regulations/requirements... or... the limits may possibly be found in a PR / marketing playbook.

The only regulatory limit I know of that could be a limiter here not based on the shared platform is the class-II trailer hitch limit of 3,500lbs. But then why not just put on a class-III ? I know the typical mopar hitch attaches on the rear framcross member, but I would think thatā€™s still considered a frame-mount, and for a class three they would just need to add weight-distributing mounting points. Itā€™s the only thing I can think of as to why it didnā€™t bump even to 4K considering everything else.

Hereā€™s the specs from the Austrlian Wrangler brochure/guide :

05746C5C-B55E-4603-B581-5D33654D8F70.jpeg

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Difference with European is not specs. Read an article about it but can't find the link.

Basically they measure differently because they assume a lower top safe speed than we do in the US.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting, did not know that.

Only knew of the Big Brake Kit difference in the past. Something FCA offers in their Mopar performance section and mentions is the Export Wrangler fitment.

Dan250378

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 530d
might be with normal trailer we are allowed to go only with abt 50mph, if they have special break etc we are allowed to drive abt 62mph (100kmh) on the other hand on the normal highway we are allowed to go as fast as the car permits, thus guess that is why we need the bigger brakes ;)

like with my BMW i do quite often between 125 and 155mph in case the traffic permits same of course. ok the JKL is doing only a bit over 105mph

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel
if the jku can tow more here maybe the jt will rate better here also i hope so coz 3 tonne towing isnt enough

Sponsored

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor, 1997 Lexus LX450
I'm curious why/how the diesel Scrambler Premium weighs 100 lbs more but has 300 lbs less payload, yet has the same tow rating as the diesel Base. The gas base and premium are the same.

There is special diesel Premium content?

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I donā€™t know if brake-assist is discounted for N.Am. ratings under 10,000 lbs (or whatever), but you are correct for the European market (even UK) it is clearly stated unbraked load which is usually tiny and 1,000lbs or less, and then braked load which is the maximum number. I assume Australia just posts the braked number too.

on the other hand on the normal highway we are allowed to go as fast as the car permits...

like with my BMW i do quite often between 125 and 155mph in case the traffic permits same of course. ok the JKL is doing only a bit over 105mph
Oh-ho, Yeah, I know all about the no-limit zones (limits primarily through town edges and the eingang und ausfahrt ;)), thatā€™s one of the things I miss most about living in Germany, the higher standard of driving considerations, that and.. MĆ¼llermilch.

Ahhh.. truly heavenly for anyone who loves driving! No rusty decrepit cars on the roads held together by duct tape and a prayer, people knew the rules and obeyed most of them, so you could anticipate what to expect a smart driver to do instead of guessing what the idiot in front of you is going to do now, AND... the cars were Made for Driving, unlike most others at the time.

I still remember often tooling around in my little company VW Golf Synchro at about 220-240Kph driving between Sindenfingen and Heidelberg where my girlfrend was in University, and being passed like I was standing still by Huge V12 6-series Mercedes. Often when sheā€™d drive on the next leg of the trip I often had to remind her, uh.. babe.. you might want to get out off the passing lane... moments before someone would have been ready to flash their lights before they zoomed by.
We tried to not be the ignorant foreign Canucks, but every once in a while weā€™d just relax too much for German standards. :blush: ...Especially walkng across empty streets when the light was red, that used to drive the other pedestrians nuts, like.. ā€œOh mein Gott did you see them crossing...ā€, it was even worse in Austria, cause man are they every uptight. :giggle:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
750kg max unbraked in aus
:like:

Guess I shoulda noticed that in the pic I posted above, but I had forgotten it since I cut it out so long ago. :blush:
Sponsored