Sponsored

terrytnt

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB and BMW
All of this is getting a bit exciting; Owners Manual, Weight Ratios, Moved Up Production Schedule, etc. I'm new to the Jeep Wrangler and decided to wait for the new JL (soon to be launched).

Question for those of you who may be able to answer. I'm interested in a JL 2 Door; When do you think I'll be able to submit a custom order (dealership are quite ill-informed)? And equally important, do any of you feel that being one of first 'off the production line' models will have risks? In other words, should I wait a few months before placing an order to account of production line changes?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
It’s not about HP, it’s about the early-on torque delivery for most of the crawlers who’ve been wanting one in the Jeep forums, and they would’ve take a less powerful CRD to get that significant bump in low-end torque. For some of them it is also the better water characteristics and mod options off-roading with a diesel.

For many of the Overlanders it’s not about penny savings in the fuel economy but the extended range that the diesel will offer where they can trade fuel cans for an extra 80-100 miles range. Now they also likely would’ve liked to have seen an increase in payload for gear and tents, etc. put as has been said many time before that limitation was never the engine, they just hoped adding a diesel might improve that if towing was also focused on.

So there was logic behind their desires.

Personally for both of those interests I would still prefer a 5.7L stock Hemi option with an added 10-20Gal extended fuel tank for the same or less money out of pocket.

Oakwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JLUR Mojito
Something odd is the 8UX build at the bottom with 5 500 lbs of towing capacity with a 2.2L engine (?)

I must admit i am not too impressed, i really hoped for 4000 lbs. The 4runner, while ugly as hell to me, seems an intresting vehicle for what i'll need.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Comparing it to another JLU they will be just as happy, and 5litres of gasoline will not make up for the fuel efficiency of the diesel.

And no diesel JLU will get 100 miles of extra range overloading. Diesel fuel economy is only significantly better on constant load - e.g. highway, pulling a trailer.
No it’s not, diesel starts with more energy in the fuel, before even using the more efficient combustion method, so even when not stressed it will get significantly better fuel economy when just lumbering along off boost. City numbers are not Overlanding numbers, and if you’d ever done it you’d know that. 80-100 miles of additonal range from 20gallons is quite easy to achieve. And calling it an illegal emissions system is just being obtuse.

Sponsored

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
Proves that the engine has nothing to do with the towing capacity on the JLU.
Perhaps it has more to do with the strength capacity of the Wrangler towing hitch and/or that section of the frame/chassis. The Wrangler is not specifically built for towing but the JT on the other hand...

I also find it amusing how people complain about the Wrangler's tow ratings. If you frequently find yourself needing to tow over 3500lbs should you really get a Wrangler? Sure having the ability to pull more is nice but how often do you need to tow? If often then perhaps you should get a truck....JT! But there will be those that will complain about the JT's tow rating too...so...

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Perhaps it has more to do with the strength capacity of the Wrangler towing hitch and/or that section of the frame/chassis. The Wrangler is not specifically built for towing but the JT on the other hand...

I also find it amusing how people complain about the Wrangler's tow ratings. If you frequently find yourself needing to tow over 3500lbs should you really get a Wrangler? Sure having the ability to pull more is nice but how often do you need to tow? If often then perhaps you should get a truck....JT! But there will be those that will complain about the JT's tow rating too...so...
Towing vehicles have a more rigid chassis/frame and stiffer suspension. Those things work against a vehicle designed like a Jeep for more articulation and flex. Ram Power Wagon is a good example. It's a 2500 HD truck but doesnt have the towing/hauling abilities of a true Ram HD 2500 because of its suspension design.
But i'm like most people here, I was hoping for a 500+ lbs boost in tow ratings.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Offroad suspension that articulates well is not going to tow well, it will rock and weave all over the road towing a heavy load.
Ed Zachary

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Nice theory, but I don't see how it explains why a North American Grand Cherokee or Pathfinder can tow 6,500 lbs, yet the Wrangler can only do 3,500.

Also, Europeans drive faster.

I don't see how the laws of physics are different in Europe or Australia.
Physics are the same, but did you read the article about how they LOAD the trailer? Of course the article wont say why a pathfinder can tow more than a jeep. They arent pitting different vehicles against each other. What they are saying is that based upon how much tongue load you put on a tow vehicle (percentage of trailer) will affect the handling (sway) of the trailer. Speed then becomes a huge factor in controlling the sway. in this article, the Wrangler would have a higher tow rating in Europe than the US, but so would the Cherokee because the way we load our trailers here in the US is different than how they load them in the UK.
Sponsored