Sponsored

JL/JLU wrangler length / size

MockBarbecue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps
Updated:

Here are the official dimension (length, width, wheelbase) for the JL Wrangler and JLU Wrangler:

http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...ck-water-fording-of-wrangler-jl-and-jlu.1722/

Original post:

Whats the consensus on the length of the JL? Has the wheelbase gotten longer? Or is the front end longer? I really cant tell. I haven't heard any discussion about this since way back when the first spy shots were taken and the mules appeared to have some length added to the front quarters.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Jelly Belly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4
Whats the consensus on the length of the JL? Has the wheelbase gotten longer? Or is the front end longer? I really cant tell. I haven't heard any discussion about this since way back when the first spy shots were taken and the mules appeared to have some length added to the front quarters.
It looks a little longer to me but hard to tell from photos unless a JKU is parked right next to it. I know that 'leaked' hood was longer but obviously doesn't mean the wheelbase necessarily increased. The camo also makes it appear larger than it really is.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Length of JL, JLU or Both?

The transmission being longer and the Pentastar already having the engine bay space pretty cramped in the current Wrangler, it's almost guaranted that the engine bay needs to be longer to account for transmission length.

Now they really can't migrate the transfer-case into the tub without major changes, so can't account for transmission length that way.

The rear can't afford to be shrunk just from storage and seating perspective, so would likely remain the same length, which would lead one to believe/guess that the length of the JL's will be increased, and likely the wheelbase too, but different length shafts would be able to alter wheelbase length should a specific target be desired.

So it's highly likely that the veicle length will be greater, and if they wish to maintain approach/departure angles, then likely the wheelbase must also follow that increase, at the cost of break-over angle.

Anywhoo, that's just my logical guess.
I'm sure at some point more concrete numbers will come out, or even just a simple confirmed 'longer/same/shorter' from an insider.

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
So it's highly likely that the veicle length will be greater, and if they wish to maintain approach/departure angles, then likely the wheelbase must also follow that increase, at the cost of break-over angle.
To compensate they could raise the car and/or fit bigger tires to help maintain the break over angle.

Not sure I've noticed the prototypes riding significantly higher but this site confirmed bigger Rubicon tires (almost 33's).

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To compensate they could raise the car and/or fit bigger tires to help maintain the break over angle.
What car? We're talking Jeeps here !! :facepalm:
LOL!

Not sure I've noticed the prototypes riding significantly higher but this site confirmed bigger Rubicon tires (almost 33's).
Yeah, saw that earlier, and was actually happy about the 285/70/17, not because of improved clearance (0.3") or possible break-over improvememt , but because they are a far more common size than the Rubi's 255/75/17 and also more commonky come as more durable LT versions in that size. The Duratracs in stock Rubi size didn't appear until about 2 years ago, and they're only C rated without as much Steel & Kevlar. Sure most people who mod don't care, but for most people looking for compatible winter tyres etc it makes life easier without worrying about needing a flash tool calibration just so they can buy their favourite winter tyres.

Don't think an increase of 0.3" height increase will make up for a 7+ inch franken-tub lengthening we saw in early mules, but better than nothing. Now, if the increase is significantly shorter than those early testers once everything's rearrange as a 'by design' fit instead of shoe-horned in, then maybe they don't give up much.

With current design setup the 0.3" ride height improvement from the tyres alone only compensates for about 1 to 2.5" increases in the JK/JKU, still better than nothing.

Sponsored

F1Mark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ
I cant see them and hope they don't increase the JLU wheelbase and length any more than it already is if they want it to be a serious off roader and have even worse break over angles. Yes a lift and bigger tires will help and both seems like it may be improved in stock form but there are already some trails that are very difficult to do in a JKU in terms of terrain and maneuverability. Whatever benefits to hill climbing in a 4dr will be maintained with the current JKU wheelbase if they keep it the same.

That said I can see them increasing the 2dr wheelbase to make it a more compliant ride on roads and for increased interior space. Not that I think they should but I think they will if you look at the dominance of JKU sales.

Sport11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I cant see them and hope they don't increase the JLU wheelbase and length any more than it already is if they want it to be a serious off roader and have even worse break over angles. Yes a lift and bigger tires will help and both seems like it may be improved in stock form but there are already some trails that are very difficult to do in a JKU in terms of terrain and maneuverability. Whatever benefits to hill climbing in a 4dr will be maintained with the current JKU wheelbase if they keep it the same.

That said I can see them increasing the 2dr wheelbase to make it a more compliant ride on roads and for increased interior space. Not that I think they should but I think they will if you look at the dominance of JKU sales.
I think the dominance of the JKU is because it has extra set of doors, making it family friendly for the soft-crawlers and mall-crawlers (no offense to those types of owners they help keep Wrangler and Jeep brand alive and healthy). Hopefully if they increase the wheelbase on the 2 door don't go overboard and somehow alienate the 2 door buyers who are more hardcore on average.

Jelly Belly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4
The JK has really good visibility right now. I'd hate to have a harder time seeing over the front end due to increased length and more raked windshield / flatter roofline.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I think the dominance of the JKU is because it has extra set of doors, making it family friendly for the soft-crawlers and mall-crawlers (no offense to those types of owners they help keep Wrangler and Jeep brand alive and healthy). Hopefully if they increase the wheelbase on the 2 door don't go overboard and somehow alienate the 2 door buyers who are more hardcore on average.
I think the JKU is popular among the overland and adventurous crowd easily as much as the mall-crawlers. I've owned a TJ for 20 years, and it just doesn't have room for my gear.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The JK has really good visibility right now. I'd hate to have a harder time seeing over the front end due to increased length and more raked windshield / flatter roofline.
It's the opposite problem for me. Many of those tall enough find the top of the windshield in the way of traffic lights at intersections. Usually I either look for lower mounted light or I have to duck in order to see the change of lights. If I see it will be an issue on short intersection I come to a stop a few extra feet back from the intersection line. Sometimes in summer I look out the open top.

Hopefully the change in rake improves this problem.

Jelly Belly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4
It's the opposite problem for me. Many of those tall enough find the top of the windshield in the way of traffic lights at intersections. Usually I either look for lower mounted light or I have to duck in order to see the change of lights. If I see it will be an issue on short intersection I come to a stop a few extra feet back from the intersection line. Sometimes in summer I look out the open top.

Hopefully the change in rake improves this problem.
I think the rake and the taller windshield should help. Based on the window height it seems like taller glass all around and maybe more headroom as a result.
Sponsored