4-door JLU Wrangler Rubicon (3.6L): 3.73, 4.10
4-door JLU Wrangler Sport (3.0L diesel): 3.73
4-door JLU Wrangler Sahara (3.0L diesel): 3.73
4-door JLU Wrangler Rubicon (3.0L diesel): 3.73

JT Scrambler Pickup Base (3.6L): 3.45
JT Scrambler Pickups Premium (3.6L): 4.10
JT Scrambler Pickup Base (3.0L Diesel): 3.73
JT Scrambler Pickup Premium (3.0L Diesel): 3.73

For axle info see: http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...r-2018-jl-wrangler-sport-sahara-rubicon.1377/

jl-jlu-wrangler-jt-scrambler-weight-tow-capacity.jpg
jt-scrambler-tow-capacity-max-payload.jpg
Sponsored

Farmdawg

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
No Diesel engine for the 2 doors???

NewApexJT

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Ranger, 2018 Nissan Frontier
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
So with this information I guess they brought back the 2-door Sahara? I’m glad to see that if it is true; it bugged me too much that they would axe a part of the model that really wasn’t that much of a manufacturing challenge. As for the JT I’m wondering what if the premium section listed is going to include, the Sahara and rubicon or is their just going to be two different trim packages. Maybe it’s too early to say on that matter. Super happy though with this information and all the rest that’s come the last few days!

Last edited:

Uscolt45

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Renegade
What would the reason be for no 4.10 gear option on the diesels.?

Sponsored

eric.frederich

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURubicon
So I was planning on getting a Sport and getting 35" tires. On the JK I was told I'd want the 3.73 to do that especially if I ever tow something. Now it seems on this JL there is no option for a different gearing. I'm not going to get a Rubicon when 99% of my driving will be on the road.

So, are the axles on the Sport and Sahara the same as the Rubicon except for the gears inside of them? Meaning, if I re-gear to 4.10 in a Sport is there any difference between that and the axles that come on a rubicon? They're both Dana 44's right... just that the Rubicon axles can lock or something?
What is the price range you'd expect to pay out the door to re-gear to a 4.10?

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Is this the first we are seeing axle gear ratios?

So the base ratio is up to 3.45 from 3.10? Will 3.73 be optional on sport and sahara? The chart lists N/A.

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
Is this the first we are seeing axle gear ratios?

So the base ratio is up to 3.45 from 3.10? Will 3.73 be optional on sport and sahara? The chart lists N/A.
Yea looks like the base axle ratio is now 3.45.

And I would think N/A means not available as option.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
So I was planning on getting a Sport and getting 35" tires. On the JK I was told I'd want the 3.73 to do that especially if I ever tow something. Now it seems on this JL there is no option for a different gearing. I'm not going to get a Rubicon when 99% of my driving will be on the road.

So, are the axles on the Sport and Sahara the same as the Rubicon except for the gears inside of them? Meaning, if I re-gear to 4.10 in a Sport is there any difference between that and the axles that come on a rubicon? They're both Dana 44's right... just that the Rubicon axles can lock or something?
Lol. 35s for 99% road driving?

Carlton_Banks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU

Sport and Rubicon have different axles. You can regear a sport to 4.10. Depending on where you live it can range from $1,200-2,500.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Sport and Rubicon have different axles. You can regear a sport to 4.10. Depending on where you live it can range from $1,200-2,500.
Yeah definitely not something you want to cheap out on. I'd actually be surprised if different ratios don't end up being offered.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Yea looks like the base axle ratio is now 3.45.

And I would think N/A means not available as option.
Bummer. Well maybe 3.45 will be adequate for most of us with the new 10 speed auto?

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
How do these numbers compare to the JK? Is the JL lighter?

The 2.2L Euro (Diesel?) has 5,500 lbs towing, but the other Euros have actually gone *down* to 3,500? WTF? How can the 2.2 Euro have more towing than the 3.0 NAFTA?

Why does the Scrambler have so much more towing? Or better questions, why does the Wrangler have so little? What the heck is going on?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
So they’re trying to make the Sport more fuel efficient.. and then they cut its legs out from under it by upping the axle ratio from 3.21 to 3.45? :whatsgoingon:

Would make more sense ifmit was required for the diesels, but both domestic and export get the 3.73, so that’s not it.

First gear ratio and overall spread will increase dramatically in the Automatic, so much so that in an auto the old axle ratio 3.21 on the ZF would’ve had a much better crawl ratio and better final drive than the current JK auto with a 4.10 axle.

My concern is that the reason they picked this ratio is to accomodate the manual transmission which they might not have been able to get as high a first gear ratio as the ZF’s 5.0:1 and as good an OD 6th gear or as full a ratio spread. 3.45 axle in the sport makes sense if the manual transmission’s first gear is 3.x-4.0:1 like in some Tremec 3160s and the gasoline version of the ZF S6, where 3.45 axle on a 4:1 first gear would still be a lesser crawl ratio than old NSG 6-speed and a 3.21 axle, you would need a 3.55 axle to almost match the old 3.21 if they weren’t able to get a better 1st gear.

Not reassuring from either a CAFE or manual transmission perspective.

For my daily driver it doesn’t have much of an impact as 3.73 was still the target even with the new automatic 1st gear and OD & Spread boosts, and for the cottage won’t make much of a difference, and a lower 1st gear than the current NSG would make a more relaxed 1st gear for puttering around town and leisurely country drives. But the implications are interesting. :movember:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
How do these numbers compare to the JK? Is the JL lighter?

The 2.2L Euro (Diesel?) has 5,500 lbs towing, but the other Euros have actually gone *down* to 3,500? WTF? How can the 2.2 Euro have more towing than the 3.0 NAFTA?
Yeah, I was going to mention that after commenting on the axle’s implications on the transmission, I found that enlightening also.

It’s likely another artificial limit on the North American Wrangler’s again, similar to the current higher 4,400 lbs Export limit on the JKU Pentastar and 5,000 lbs limit on the export 2.8L CRD JKUs.

Why does the Scrambler have so much more towing? Or better questions, why does the Wrangler have so little? What the heck is going on?
The Scrambler has a different rear suspension similar to the RAMs’ design, is built on a different frame and likely has slightly larger axles too, although the suspension design would be the biggest change to the JT to improve towing and payload IMO.
Sponsored