Sponsored

JL/JLU Wrangler 2.0L Turbo Gets 368 HP (Source: FCA docs to NHTSA)!

TxTravisty

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 OUTLANDER SPORT, 2008 BUICK ENCLAVE, 1933 CHEVY COUPE, 1968 MUSTANG
I am hoping this is correct, but it is kind of hard to believe.

I had a Mitsubishi 2006 Evolution IV MR, and it was an awd turbo 4 cylinder with a stock rating of 289 HP. That car was pushing 22 Lbs. of boost stock and was super fast!

I did a ton of work on it turning it into a show car/wicked fast daily driver. I added an massive intercooler, 3" intercooler and intake piping, better spark plugs, 550 cc injectors, massive O2 housing w/ waste gate dump, port and polished intake manifold, HKS atmospheric B.O.V, Custom Equal length header, adjustable waste gate, custom 3" inner diameter exhaust, manual boost controller set at 27.5 lbs., professional dyno tuned, NOS Cryo set up on outside of the intercooler... ect., ect., ect. I was still only getting around 370 HP to the wheels.

So for a I4 to hit 368 hp stock... even if that is to the crank, I would be absolutely shocked. That being said I am extremely optimistic, AND would DEFFINATLY be getting the Hurricane over the 3.0 Lt. Turbo Diesel.
Sponsored

TxTravisty

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you think the decline of sales over the last 13 months has a lot to do with the anticipated launch of the new Jeeps? The increased MPG due to transmission and motor expectations we have been lead to believe so far? That is the reason I have not gone out and bought a jeep yet personally... I have been waiting a LOOOOONG time for the JT to finally be made. So I have been in a stale pattern waiting for it to launch!!!

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
That's misleading without looking at the big picture. Vehicle sales in general were predicted to peak this year, and that seems to have happened. After the downturn of 2008, and the crisis of 2009, the auto market had to rebuild. People weren't buying cars. From 2011 to 2016 the auto market recovered and started doing well again as people sought to replace their aging vehicles. But now, it's peaking and the prediction is that sales will decline some for a few years now.

Even the full size truck segment, which is a great indicator of the economy, has had a mediocre year in 2017. GM and Toyota are below 2016 sales, while Nissan and Ford are barely above 2016 sales.

Since Jeeps are niche vehicles and not so much fleet/work/business vehicles, one would expect their sales to be dropping right now considering the overall condition of the U.S. auto market.

To me, this does NOT indicate that Jeeps are less popular. It's just an indicator that most people who want Jeeps have one now, and won't be ready to replace them for a while.

kidney

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Italian
That's misleading without looking at the big picture. Vehicle sales in general were predicted to peak this year, and that seems to have happened. After the downturn of 2008, and the crisis of 2009, the auto market had to rebuild. People weren't buying cars. From 2011 to 2016 the auto market recovered and started doing well again as people sought to replace their aging vehicles. But now, it's peaking and the prediction is that sales will decline some for a few years now.

Even the full size truck segment, which is a great indicator of the economy, has had a mediocre year in 2017. GM and Toyota are below 2016 sales, while Nissan and Ford are barely above 2016 sales.

Since Jeeps are niche vehicles and not so much fleet/work/business vehicles, one would expect their sales to be dropping right now considering the overall condition of the U.S. auto market.

To me, this does NOT indicate that Jeeps are less popular. It's just an indicator that most people who want Jeeps have one now, and won't be ready to replace them for a while.
I would add that fall is also related to Cherokee's move to Belvidere and will be also affected with introduction of facelift. And also Compass and Patriot as fleet queens are discontinued.

I expect a lot from Mexican Compass, both in NAFTA and EU markets. IMO, it will be home run. Also Indian Compass will help a lot in RHD markets.

Sponsored

TxTravisty

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone have any FCA information on whether or not the I4 will have two different HP options? I know these sources are all speculations, as I have not seen the FCA released any definitive answers, but I have been finding that there may be a standard option for the Hurricane's HP, set somewhere between 240-260 HP, and an upgrade option set to make over 300hp. We all know how Jeep likes to tack on those upgrade charges, so I can easily see this happening.

looks like hitting the 300 HP mark is the goal for the I4 Turbo Hurricane:
http://www.autonews.com/article/20160509/OEM06/305099980/source:-fcas-new-2.0-liter-turbo-4-banger-to-make-nearly-300-hp

one of the sources reporting multiple tunes: (and yes I see they said 2.4 instead of 2.0)
http://www.trucktrend.com/news/1705...-i-6-turbo-to-replace-5-7-hemi-in-fca-lineup/

Allpare even originally quotes sources saying multiple HP ratings:
https://www.allpar.com/mopar/fours/hurricane.html

and another stating the same:
http://us.pressfrom.com/autos/news/...-i-6-turbo-to-replace-5-7-hemi-in-fca-lineup/

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase

TxTravisty

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
looking more and more like 268 lol... that would be more believable

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
"NOT RATED"

That's what an updated FCA filing now says for the 2.l0L Turbo I4 engine's power output.

New filing link: https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/home/displayfile/39585

wrangler-turbo-jpg.jpg
I wish we could get 305 out of the 3.6 in the Wrangler. Maybe we don't because the update gives us more useable torque at the sacrifice of a little hp? One can hope...otherwise, I'm curious why the Ram gets more hp. Maybe less restriction and cooler air on intake due to more space to optimize it?

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
Yuuuup.... I heard FCA is tuning a new version of a flux capacitor to make it capable of time travel. You can travel 368 years on one banana peel...

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
FCA needs to take a lesson from GM, their 3.6l makes 310-335 hp (depending on the vehicle) and sounds incredible in the Camaro with the active exhaust option.

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
"NOT RATED"

That's what an updated FCA filing now says for the 2.l0L Turbo I4 engine's power output.

New filing link: https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/home/displayfile/39585

wrangler-turbo-jpg.jpg
Thanks for the update.

Devil's advocate theory: This doesn't necessarily mean the original figure is wrong? Maybe they weren't expecting the number to be found on the filing and announced all over the internet, and now they're trying to put the cat back in the bag so to speak.

foofykid

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Tj
Vehicle Showcase
Knew it was a type-o!! 368hp out of a 2.0l for a Wrangler :cwl:
Sponsored