Sponsored

JL/JLU/JT Seat Slammers - Big and Tall Front Seat Drop (Desert Does It)

Steel vs 7075 Aluminum

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
DesertDoesIt

DesertDoesIt

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Raptor, 2015 Lexus GX460, Fiero
Occupation
Owner of Desert Does It
How are the installs going? We shipped out 50 Seat Slammer kits, any more feedback?
Sponsored

Roller65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
I installed mine 2 days ago. It was the type 2 kit. I am 6'4" and ajusted it for the most drop. Install was straight forward. If you have not used a cut off wheel or saw all much just take you time. After driving my jeep for over year with the seat bottomed out it took some time to used to the new angels. I have adjusted seat postion relative to pedal postion, lumber, internal height and recline angle over the last two days and it is now perfect. My head does not touch the sound bar and I do not have to duck down to see some traffic signals. If you are a bigger guy like myself this mod will make you jeep much more comfortable. It might be the best mod I have done so far. Thanks Desert Does It for putting this together.

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
I installed mine 2 days ago. It was the type 2 kit. I am 6'4" and ajusted it for the most drop. Install was straight forward. If you have not used a cut off wheel or saw all much just take you time. After driving my jeep for over year with the seat bottomed out it took some time to used to the new angels. I have adjusted seat postion relative to pedal postion, lumber, internal height and recline angle over the last two days and it is now perfect. My head does not touch the sound bar and I do not have to duck down to see some traffic signals. If you are a bigger guy like myself this mod will make you jeep much more comfortable. It might be the best mod I have done so far. Thanks Desert Does It for putting this together.
Really looking forward to this after your review!!!

Sierra

First Name
Sierra
Threads
Reaction score
Website
link.sierrar.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2015 BMW 328i F30
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
eCommerce Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Share feedback, photos, videos 😅

Sponsored

Sierra

First Name
Sierra
Threads
Reaction score
Website
link.sierrar.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2015 BMW 328i F30
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
eCommerce Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased option 1. but seems like I'll get until August :/

OP
OP
DesertDoesIt

DesertDoesIt

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Owner of Desert Does It
That's great to hear, thanks for the review. Best mod? I'll take it!

I purchased option 1. but seems like I'll get until August :/
You will definitely get it before August 1st. The next batch of 50 are headed to Powder on Monday.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL/JLU/JT Seat Slammers - Big and Tall Front Seat Drop (Desert Does It) Screenshot_20210710-094303

the_webers_inc

First Name
T. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S 6spd, 2011 Subaru Forester X Premium 5spd
How are the installs going? We shipped out 50 Seat Slammer kits, any more feedback?
Hoping to find the time before the end of the month to install the kit.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91MJ,90XJ,91XJ,05,LJ,05JT
Well don't do what I did and order the wrong one... AKA Seat Jackers. If anyone is interested in it send me msg. It will have a few scratches though..... and heard a lot of profanity.😉 😲

Light In Sight sells a 1" high x 6" wide flexible plastic piece that you stick to the top inside of the windshield. The clear plastic's got a fresnel pattern molded into it so you can see overhead traffic signals. I've used these and they work great. Only thing is, if the top 1" of the windshield is what you're looking through to see the road road (and some of us are) this thing blocks that portion of your view. http://lightinsight.com/
Thanks for the link on that, I'll probably be getting a few.... Especially one for my G-ride the seat is as far back and down as possible already in it.

Sponsored

TheMAnderson

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L (sold), 2022 Tundra Limited Hybrid
Okay @DesertDoesIt - I finally got my Option 2 kit installed last night!

TLDR - I'm about 6'3", and I did the full 2" drop. The new position, with the rake, is 1000% better than the factory - it makes the factory seats feel like proper bucket seats, plus I can now see the top of the gauge cluster (like the digital compass) and most traffic lights, without having to duck my head, for the first time. I do have a few issues with the instructions, and, even though I was sent 2 M10 cap screws after the fact, it seems like it is still missing 2 more, and the quality of the powder coat on the Front Seat Jackers is very poor - but, in spite of this, I am incredibly happy that I did this. Also, FWIW, this modification has made the forward angle of the factory headrests more bearable - but I may still try to bend the posts back to straighten them up a bit.

For me, the first step was removing seats from the Jeep and, then, the Misch Big Boy Seat Brackets from the seats.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL/JLU/JT Seat Slammers - Big and Tall Front Seat Drop (Desert Does It) IMG_3825

While they did certainly fix the JL leg room issue, they made it even harder to see traffic lights because they raised the seat about 1/4" and put me that much farther back from the top of the windshield when in a comfortable driving position - and the top of my head brushed the roll bar in that position.

I got the cutting/drilling templates bolted in one side, my 20 year old DeWalt Sawzall made pretty quick work of things. Unfortunately, I only have one battery for it, and overheated/died about 90% of the way through the second side, so had to take about a 4 hour break while I, first, cooled the battery off in the refrigerator and, then, recharged it. Once that was done, and cutting and drilling was complete, I use a file to smooth the edges and then covered the cut sections with a little gloss black Rustoleum.

Here's where my first issue with the instructions comes up - they specifically state that you should, at this point, place the seat back in the jeep without attaching anything to it first. I did that, and it seemed like it made it a bigger pain in the ass to get the Seat Slammers attached to the back of the seat bracket than it would have been to get them loosely attached with the M8 Allen screws outside of the Jeep.

Second, the instructions mention attaching the Seat Jackers (for the front of the seat) to the floor of the Jeep with M10 cap screws - so, first, I used the ones sent after the fact. Unfortunately, I then remembered that they were necessary to mount the seat to the Seat Jackers because the M10 flange bolts that were originally included wouldn't fit between the rails on the front right side of the factory seat bracket. So, even though there is a cavity in the Seat Jackers for the heads of the cap screws, I had to use flange bolts. They do seem to be secure, but (maybe I'm being picky here), it seems like the cap screws would look cleaner (as it looks like it was designed for them). Did I get that right, @DesertDoesIt ? Or should I have used the cap screws in the Seat Jackers and reused the factory bolts to secure the seat bracket to the Seat Jackers (they seem too long for that)? Here is how it looks now:
Jeep Wrangler JL JL/JLU/JT Seat Slammers - Big and Tall Front Seat Drop (Desert Does It) IMG_3830

Also, with just moving the seat around to get it into place, the powder coating on the Seat Jackers, especially the one on the right side, got extremely scratched up and started flaking off a bit.

Anyway, once I got both seat rails lined up and loosely attached at all 4 corners, I tested the position - and it seemed great - and torqued everything down. Switching to the Seat Slammers from the Misch Big Boy brackets also allowed me to put my factory all weather floor mats back in - I'm glad I never cut them up to fit around the Misch brackets! If I ever do decide to add any spacers into the back of the seats, the floor mats may need be modified slightly - but much less so that would have been necessary for the Misch brackets.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL/JLU/JT Seat Slammers - Big and Tall Front Seat Drop (Desert Does It) IMG_3829

All that done - and, now at 1am, thanks to my 4 hour Sawzall delay, I went for a test drive and thoroughly enjoyed the new position. I could actually see most traffic lights without dropping my head, and I could see the top row of the instrument cluster, which I previously couldn't see without moving my head down, both in the factory seating position and with the Misch brackets. Besides feeling like I fit in the Jeep much better (except for my left shoulder being firmly planted in the B-pillar), I feel much more secure in the driver's seat - and I'm looking forward to testing it off-road, where the factory position sometimes made me feel like I was going to slide off of the seat. Jeep should absolutely have enabled this adjustability from the factory, rather than having to resort to cutting and modifying seat brackets!

As an added bonus, driving around in the heat today was much more comfortable than with the Misch brackets - as they placed the top of my head that much closer to my black Sunrider, which, on a hot day in the Southern California sun, radiated heat - right into my head. Now, thanks to the Seat Slammers & Jackers, my head is a comfortable distance away.

Overall, two thumbs way up on this mod!!

OP
OP
DesertDoesIt

DesertDoesIt

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Owner of Desert Does It
@TheMAnderson thank you for the review, pics and feedback.

I will be updating the instructions with your feedback.

A couple quick notes.

Use your factory seat bolts to bolt the front Seat Jackers to the floor and the cap head bolts to bolt the seat rails to the Seat Jackers.

We are working on the powder coat deficiencies and they are getting better with each batch.

edit: We suggest putting the seat back in the Jeep before installing the Seat Slammers because it's easier to squeeze it through the door opening without the added length of the Seat Slammers. I'll update the instructions because it might come down to a preference thing... struggle to get the seat with slammers through the door opening or struggle to get the Seat Slammers bolted in a tight space.

I wanted to get this response out asap. I will review your feedback again and might have some clarifying questions.

Thanks again!
Steve
DDI

Last edited:

smarshall

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Option 1 installed on my 2 door today. My head doesn't hit the sound bar now. :clap:

Not sure if it is a 2 door thing but the driver side rear slammer bolt on the aluminum template wound up being too close to the round rail end stop to allow the button head bolt to seat. I clearanced it with a carbide burr and a die grinder. Other than that everything went as expected. The instructions were good but I relied more on the video. Overall a well engineered solution to a problem that shouldn't exist.

I found it easier to install the slammers after the seat is back in the Jeep. After loosely bolting in the slammers I shimmed the back on a 2x4 to get the front bolts started. I then picked the shims that felt best and bolted everything up.

TheMAnderson

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L (sold), 2022 Tundra Limited Hybrid
@TheMAnderson thank you for the review, pics and feedback.

I will be updating the instructions with your feedback.

A couple quick notes.

Use your factory seat bolts to bolt the front Seat Jackers to the floor and the cap head bolts to bolt the seat rails to the Seat Jackers.

We are working on the powder coat deficiencies and they are getting better with each batch.

edit: We suggest putting the seat back in the Jeep before installing the Seat Slammers because it's easier to squeeze it through the door opening without the added length of the Seat Slammers. I'll update the instructions because it might come down to a preference thing... struggle to get the seat with slammers through the door opening or struggle to get the Seat Slammers bolted in a tight space.

I wanted to get this response out asap. I will review your feedback again and might have some clarifying questions.

Thanks again!
Steve
DDI
Thanks for the quick response, Steve @DesertDoesIt ! I swapped the hardware out, and, now, I think I have all of the bolts where they are supposed to be (the middle-length flange bolt I had holding the Seat Jackers down actually belonged in the back of the seats), and I threw in a 1/4" shim in the back, while I was at it. I may need to switch around a few times between no shim, 1/4, and 1/2 a few times to really see what I like best while driving.

Also, FWIW, I, personally, don't think it's much of an issue getting the seat in and out with the Seat Slammers attached, as they really don't protrude any more than the stock uncut seat bracket does.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL/JLU/JT Seat Slammers - Big and Tall Front Seat Drop (Desert Does It) IMG_3833

BTW, this image shows much more clearly the deficiency of the powder coat.

Cheers,

Mark

rdsii

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I want thank DesertDoesIt for engineering a great solution for the seating being too high. I am happy with the results as other have said I can see the top of the gage cluster as well as the pitch make the seat more conferrable for me.

I had installed a set of extend my seat brackets in the past. It made the seat go back way more but the roll bar would bash my head. So, my install is a bit different.

I went with option 2 but I did not use the front raisers. I used the one thick washer in the back and nothing up front.

I started my removing the head rest and taking the seats out with the extendmyseat brackets attached. I pumped the seat up to give me more working room.

I provided a picture below:

Jeep Wrangler JL JL/JLU/JT Seat Slammers - Big and Tall Front Seat Drop (Desert Does It) 1626106938914

Jeep Wrangler JL JL/JLU/JT Seat Slammers - Big and Tall Front Seat Drop (Desert Does It) 1626106955023

I used a right-angle grinder with the thinnest cutoff wheel I could find at the HD. It worked great and one wheel lasted for the whole job. My finished product looked like this:

Jeep Wrangler JL JL/JLU/JT Seat Slammers - Big and Tall Front Seat Drop (Desert Does It) 1626106994948

Jeep Wrangler JL JL/JLU/JT Seat Slammers - Big and Tall Front Seat Drop (Desert Does It) 1626107017088

Jeep Wrangler JL JL/JLU/JT Seat Slammers - Big and Tall Front Seat Drop (Desert Does It) 1626107036711

Jeep Wrangler JL JL/JLU/JT Seat Slammers - Big and Tall Front Seat Drop (Desert Does It) 1626107064287

Jeep Wrangler JL JL/JLU/JT Seat Slammers - Big and Tall Front Seat Drop (Desert Does It) 1626107084326
Sponsored