MotoOverland

First Name
Moto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Golf TDI
2019 JL Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Diesel Build

I will thank everyone in advance for their insights but I have searched online and not been successful.

Background: We have a diesel RV that we use as a basecamp when we stay in the Lake Tahoe and Blue Ridge Mountain areas for 2-3 weeks at a time. We like to hike and camp and it usually requires a trail-rated vehicle to that last 1-3 miles on unpaved roads. We leave the RV at a local campground and will spend 2-3 days at a time in a remote area.

Question: If we are not rock crawling, fording through streams, or traversing through mud bogs where a wench is not mandatory (but optional), what would be the appropriate starting point in the JLU lineup? We want diesel because it is preferable to stay with one vehicle fuel source and the Jeep will be used primarily for highway driving as we tour the cities adjacent to our RV base camp. The diesel price surcharge will be offset by the convenience of managing diesel-only maintenance for the RV and Jeep.

The Jeep will be configured with a roof tent, frig, and storage (like the one in the video below) BUT I don't understand why a Rubicon trim level is needed and the lift kits unless you are rock crawling or navigating extreme crossings. Please educate.

Sponsored

DieselPower

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Duramax
Probably a Sport with a rear LSD and a set of All Terrain tires. Assuming that Jeep offers the diesel in the Sport.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
You don't need a Rubi, but you'll (we'll) have to wait and see what level you can spec the diesel.

That's a hellova nice overlander in the vid!

OP
OP
MotoOverland

MotoOverland

First Name
Moto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Golf TDI
You don't need a Rubi, but you'll (we'll) have to wait and see what level you can spec the diesel.

That's a hellova nice overlander in the vid!
Marco Hernandez is an excellent ambassador for the Jeep Wrangler who actually takes his Wrangler on some pretty rough trails. Not a show vehicle.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
As much as I'd appreciate having a wench with me all the time, a winch is probably more useful if I get stuck. No barmaid (or barman) is likely to have the strength to push me out.

I would advise you consider adding a winch. If you're alone in the wilderness, regardless of the terrain, not having a way to pull yourself off a high-center situation or out of a mud hole is risky.

OP
OP
MotoOverland

MotoOverland

First Name
Moto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Golf TDI
As much as I'd appreciate having a wench with me all the time, a winch is probably more useful if I get stuck. No barmaid (or barman) is likely to have the strength to push me out.

I would advise you consider adding a winch. If you're alone in the wilderness, regardless of the terrain, not having a way to pull yourself off a high-center situation or out of a mud hole is risky.

Thanks for the suggestion. There are many excellent Wrangler JK builds that help one decide what would be nice or a must have. My favorite below:

European JK CRD Diesel Drive - In America
Sponsored

Last edited: