Sponsored

JL Jeep Tops and Seats- Real World Performance from Members

scgmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 GMC 2500HD Duramax, 72 Formula 400, Yamaha WR250R, Dozens of Kayaks and Canoes, Future Jeep Wrangler JL Owner
This past Saturday I test drove eight 2020 JLU's and JL's of every model and different top variety. The only Jeep I wasn't able to drive was one with a diesel. (None were on the lot) I went into this comparison with the intention of liking and wanting to buy a JLU hardtop version. In the end, I found the hardtop on the JLU... followed by the hardtop JL... to be the noisiest two Jeeps of the bunch. Closely behind those were the soft top versions of each model with the quietest of all of them being the JLU Sky One-Touch. I couldn't believe it. Wind noise and reverberations in the hardtops (without factory headliners) were concerning. Granted, I am completely new to the Jeep world having not test driven one in 15+ years, but I was sure the hardtop would be the easy choice for me. Now, especially after reading the whole "noisy hardtop" thread, I'm unclear of my direction. Possibly the Sky One-Touch. It was pretty amazing. And yes, I realize they may have issues too. I read the "rattling quarter window" thread. The one vehicle I test drove did not rattle. I was impressed with the fit and finish and the convenience was awesome. I do think they are weird looking with the doors removed, but I don't think I will be doing that very often, if ever.

My overall take on Wrangler JLs: WOW! Wranglers drive great now. The 2dr drove and rode nearly as good as the 4dr and the 3.6 and 2.0 had nearly identical performance in my 15 minute 3500 ft. elevation test loops. All the 8 speeds worked perfectly. I also found the Sahara with it's higher gear ratio and smaller tires to perform pretty much the same as the Rubicon and it's 4.10s. I would be content with a Sahara if I was sure I wouldn't get bigger tires down the road. I'm not though! 35's look great on these JLU's and I may just have to go there eventually.

So for the moment I'm thinking Sahara for the Select-Trac, JLU just for the space behind the seat, Sky One-Touch for convenience, painted fenders, 3.6 for the lack of complexity, 8.4" for my weakening eyes, steel bumpers, and towing package.
The one thing I would like to ask members here is: cloth or leather? Specifically- how hot do you find your seats getting with the top open or panels removed? Does one material clean up better than the other? How durable is Jeep leather? Is one more comfortable on long hauls?
Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

leather seats are always easier to clean than cloth. just wipe and go. but, they will eventually crack (if real leather) and get hot in the summer time if youre driving around with the top down.

@minutemen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '20 JLUR
I went with cloth for that very reason. I keep my top off as much as possible and black leather seats after a few hours in the sun are just not comfortable to say the least :whew: I don't know how others do it lol

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
8CC12257-A1B5-4FD6-B9C5-506A3B304D36.jpeg

I have the ‘20 Sahara with 2.0 and Hardtop. It is my DD. We added 2” Mopar lift and 35’s. Rides great!!!! Most enjoyable vehicle I have ever owned!!! Heading to the mountains of Eastern TN this weekend. CANNOT WAIT!!!!

OP
OP

scgmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 GMC 2500HD Duramax, 72 Formula 400, Yamaha WR250R, Dozens of Kayaks and Canoes, Future Jeep Wrangler JL Owner
JLUin818: Thanks for the feedback. I figured the leather would be the hotter especially in black and I was also concerned if they would have durability. I was hoping maybe Jeep had come up with something special to help them against sun and the occasional rain shower.

cOtter: Great looking Jeep. Ocean Blue is my favorite, too. Good to hear you have no rattling issues!

@minutemen: Thanks for the feedback. That's what I was thinking and it gets pretty scaldy here in the Carolinas. If the seats were cooled, that's one thing...but if not, it can be pretty hard even in my (roofed) GMC on the ol' backside of your legs when in shorts on my leather seats in the Summer.

Sponsored

OP
OP

scgmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For long hauls, is there a noticeable difference with how comfortable leather seats are to cloth ? Or vice versa??
Are the seats themselves identical, or are they upgraded in some way when you order leather?

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
For long hauls, is there a noticeable difference with how comfortable leather seats are to cloth ? Or vice versa??
Are the seats themselves identical, or are they upgraded in some way when you order leather?
I don’t know leather to cloth difference for the Wrangler, but my previous DD is a Toyota Highlander with leather seats. We still have it.

I have had both vehicles on lengthy drives, 9 hours plus one way, and in my opinion, there is not much difference. Both are comfortable.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

The seats are exactly the same. There is an option for perforated or stitched leather seats, which some say have a softer more luxurious feel to them compared to the standard leather option. I cannot confirm, as I have cloth seats. I prefer cloth and had it in my '15 Sahara and now in my '20 Sport Altitude. I added seat covers to both to help keep them clean and prevent wear and tear. Leather, in my opinion, gets hot in the summer and causes me to sweat on long hauls (regardless of whether the AC is on or not). That being said, my wife loves leather and has had it in her last 3 Grand Cherokees.

OP
OP

scgmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The seats are exactly the same. There is an option for perforated or stitched leather seats, which some say have a softer more luxurious feel to them compared to the standard leather option. I cannot confirm, as I have cloth seats. I prefer cloth and had it in my '15 Sahara and now in my '20 Sport Altitude. I added seat covers to both to help keep them clean and prevent wear and tear. Leather, in my opinion, gets hot in the summer and causes me to sweat on long hauls (regardless of whether the AC is on or not). That being said, my wife loves leather and has had it in her last 3 Grand Cherokees.
Thanks for the information. I didn't even know perorated was an option. Ventilated leather would be a nice compromise between cloth and leather hot weather comfort. But my understanding is this is not available, probably due to "blower under the seat" water inclusion concerns.

I like the idea of leather for cleaning off the inevitable Great Pyrenees dog hairs that are going to accumulate, but know leather would be smoking hot in the Carolina sun. It's a tough decision.

TBULL52

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
My wife finds the cloth seats in my daughter 2014 JKU to be more comfortable than the leather seats in my 18 JLUR. I know that is not apples to apples but thought I would share it with you. The one other difference is that the back seat in the JL's are different in that the center of the backseat folds down and provides cup holders if you have leather. The cloth seats come with cupholders on the floor attached to the center console

Sponsored

chrizow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, VW Passat
I am curious about how hot the black leather will get with the top down. I have black leather in my current car and it does not bother me at all--with that in mind, should I be concerned about black leather with the top down? I test drove 2 JLs this week, one with leather and one without, and I strongly preferred the leather...

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I am curious about how hot the black leather will get with the top down. I have black leather in my current car and it does not bother me at all--with that in mind, should I be concerned about black leather with the top down? I test drove 2 JLs this week, one with leather and one without, and I strongly preferred the leather...
Black leather gets hot - top down or not. Leather that is exposed to the elements, direct sun in particular, needs to be treated regularly with a conditioner to keep the leather from drying out and cracking. Leather is porous and needs to breathe. Use a quality leather conditioner that will not clog the pores and cause premature wear.
Sponsored