JL Jack Big & Tall Build

bkjolly

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 CJ-5
Just a couple of updates on my Build. Overall, it has been excellent in performance. I did have some rubbing issues with the corners of the RockHard front mid width bumper when the tire was stuffed at full turns, but was able to shave the aluminum very cleanly. I also added 3/4” body spacer and 1” more bump stop to lessen stuffing clearance and maintain full spring travel. I also had to trim rear wheel opening several times, but it seems to be fine now.
When trimming the edges off the stock flares, the white fender clips are annoying as they can be seen now, will probably replace them with black ones.
The Red Neck Ram does not have the power of the PSC on my JK, but I think it has enough and I’m not as worried about breaking something else by being able to force steering rather than finessing it.
I bought a new Arb Twin compressor and also mounted my power tank. Shop ran airlines to front bumper corners which is really nice. Last week I had them put in a valve so I could easily select which air source I want to use, but I think the valve is restricting airflow, so I’ll probably remove it.
Do you see yourself swapping out the engine in the future or are you happy with the 5.38 gears and the 3.6? I
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lorenc

Lorenc

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely not doing an engine swap, I have plenty of power and performance on and off road. I’ve wheeled with too many hemi or turbo people that had trail issues, mostly to do with overheating.

Loren

bkjolly

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 CJ-5
Definitely not doing an engine swap, I have plenty of power and performance on and off road. I’ve wheeled with too many hemi or turbo people that had trail issues, mostly to do with overheating.

Loren
Good to know.

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
Just a couple of updates on my Build. Overall, it has been excellent in performance. I did have some rubbing issues with the corners of the RockHard front mid width bumper when the tire was stuffed at full turns, but was able to shave the aluminum very cleanly. I also added 3/4” body spacer and 1” more bump stop to lessen stuffing clearance and maintain full spring travel. I also had to trim rear wheel opening several times, but it seems to be fine now.
When trimming the edges off the stock flares, the white fender clips are annoying as they can be seen now, will probably replace them with black ones.
The Red Neck Ram does not have the power of the PSC on my JK, but I think it has enough and I’m not as worried about breaking something else by being able to force steering rather than finessing it.
I bought a new Arb Twin compressor and also mounted my power tank. Shop ran airlines to front bumper corners which is really nice. Last week I had them put in a valve so I could easily select which air source I want to use, but I think the valve is restricting airflow, so I’ll probably remove it.
I'm preparing a similar build, so it's good to see the road has already been paved. OK, bad analogy.

What do you mean by a 3/4" body spacer? Body lift?

Could some of the tire clearance have been improved with less back space? I was thinking of going with 4", but not sure if I should go all the way to 3.5".

Thank you.

OP
OP
Lorenc

Lorenc

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm preparing a similar build, so it's good to see the road has already been paved. OK, bad analogy.

What do you mean by a 3/4" body spacer? Body lift?

Could some of the tire clearance have been improved with less back space? I was thinking of going with 4", but not sure if I should go all the way to 3.5".

Thank you.
Spring spacers were added to make up for the longer bump stops.
I have a very narrow garage door opening, so a good part of my backspace decision was to limit the max width but I’m really happy with the way it turned out. My door is 94” wide and the overall width is 88”. Wider can also be an issue going through some obstacles. My wheels already tend to collect water and mud, that may make that worse. I would hesitate to go more than you need.

Good luck!

Loren

Sponsored

LA Kimball

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Great looking build. You replaced the front DRL lights with a thinner version on your fenders. Can you share where you purchased those and are they still LED? Thanks in advance.

ManoftheSpring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Fixer
Apologies if you've gone over this already, but what shop did your sweet build and are you happy with their work. I'm a noob with a brand new Rubicon over in Palm Springs and am looking for a trustworthy shop to do some similar mods . . .

Springman_191002_10851085.jpg

Springman_191002_09640964.jpg

303rider

First Name
Soleil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I have heard sorted reviews of the Falcon 3.3 shocks. I have a local friend with them on a JL but with the Teraflex lift and they do not like the ride quality. Stiff, jarring, and no value from adjustment as they cannot get the ride quality they want even at the soft-end of the shocks.

Can you give us your feedback?

OP
OP
Lorenc

Lorenc

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Great looking build. You replaced the front DRL lights with a thinner version on your fenders. Can you share where you purchased those and are they still LED? Thanks in advance.
Yes, they are LEDs through American Adventure Labs, good people to work with. By the way, you might get an error message on the dash that the turn signal lights are out, the Tazer programmer is able to get rid of the error by a setting.

Good luck...
Loren

OP
OP
Lorenc

Lorenc

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Apologies if you've gone over this already, but what shop did your sweet build and are you happy with their work. I'm a noob with a brand new Rubicon over in Palm Springs and am looking for a trustworthy shop to do some similar mods . . .

Springman_191002_10851085.jpg

Springman_191002_09640964.jpg
I used 4 West in Colton, CA. The owner's name is Rick Clay, he's a very good friend of mine. They really do great work, it was a major project, and there were very few adjustments had to be made when they got done and they were all clearance related with the 40" tires. Highly recommend them...909-824-0024. Tell him I sent you...Loren Campbell

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lorenc

Lorenc

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have heard sorted reviews of the Falcon 3.3 shocks. I have a local friend with them on a JL but with the Teraflex lift and they do not like the ride quality. Stiff, jarring, and no value from adjustment as they cannot get the ride quality they want even at the soft-end of the shocks.

Can you give us your feedback?
I have the 3.3 Fast Adjust Shocks (might be different than the 3.3 non adjustable) so I'm able to dial in how firm I want the shocks. Setting it on a 1 gives the softest ride which I use when I'm off road, the 3 setting is the firmest, and I heard it was more for high speed desert use, but haven't used that yet. The 2 setting you can customize anywhere between the softest and the firmest setting, I set it for about halfway between and that's what I use for on the highway. I'm extremely happy with the ride characteristics

Loren

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
I wish I could find a good ground clearance measurement, but it’s nearly impossible to get the same measurement on 2 vehicles
I always like to measure to the bottom of the frame rail right between the front and rear doors. I feel like its going to give you the best comparison point by eliminating as many other differentiating factors as possible (i.e. body differences etc..)

Xtremetj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F350 Platinum, Ignot Silver, 2019 Rubicon Unlimited, Billet Silver
Occupation
Oil & Gas Environmental Rep
Nicely done sir!!!

I want to run 40’s so bad but am going to hold off until I can swing the axles.

OP
OP
Lorenc

Lorenc

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Nicely done sir!!!

I want to run 40’s so bad but am going to hold off until I can swing the axles.
I think that’s wise, each tire and wheel is a little over 120#

Loren

badgundog

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2018, JK 2008
Vehicle Showcase
7C6AF393-D8B9-4EE2-823A-FB6394D02242.jpeg
JL Jack is finally coming home, He’s been eating well and is coming home with big muscles!
A couple of questions. I am curious if you know what the height difference was when you added the MC 3.5" lift (front and back) without the 40" tires? Also, I installed the MC 2.5" on my JK and paired with Fox 2.0 external reservoir adjustable shocks. The ride was very stiff at slow speeds, but very stable at high speeds. How do the Falcon's feel with the MC lift?
Sponsored