Sponsored

JL is Pretty Awesome

jacob66999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ Wrangler
Hi Everyone. Been here on and off for a while obviously I don't post much. Just got a new JL today. Nothing special a Unlimited Sport S, but it suits my needs just fine. I'm coming from a 97 TJ straight 4 with 197K miles. Having driven the TJ for the last 20 years I have to say these new JL's are pretty amazing. There's a lot of gripping on here about this rattle, how it handles, getting wet when opening the doors, noise etc... If your complaining about any of these things my guess is you have not spent much time in an older Jeep. The JL is like driving a space ship compared to my TJ. Was absolutely blown away on the ride home about how great these new JLs are and put 80 miles on the Jeep already; quite a few those being on the beach which is my main use for the Jeep. Anyway just thought I would give the JL a well deserved shout out.
Sponsored

dj3513

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Unlimited / Granite Crystal Metallic / Sky One–Touch Power Top
Hi Everyone. Been here on and off for a while obviously I don't post much. Just got a new JL today. Nothing special a Unlimited Sport S, but it suits my needs just fine. I'm coming from a 97 TJ straight 4 with 197K miles. Having driven the TJ for the last 20 years I have to say these new JL's are pretty amazing. There's a lot of gripping on here about this rattle, how it handles, getting wet when opening the doors, noise etc... If your complaining about any of these things my guess is you have not spent much time in an older Jeep. The JL is like driving a space ship compared to my TJ. Was absolutely blown away on the ride home about how great these new JLs are and put 80 miles on the Jeep already; quite a few those being on the beach which is my main use for the Jeep. Anyway just thought I would give the JL a well deserved shout out.
Welcome to the club!!! Enjoy the ride!!!

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
getting wet when opening the doors,
Yes this is my first Jeep lol so I have to say that bothers me :CWL:

Point of the Jeep is that the JEEP gets muddy and wet... I stay dry Haha!

Still I couldn't be happier myself, welcome!

EdSoCal81

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model 3
Congrats and good to hear. I will be ordering a JLU sport s this week. I’m coming from a Tesla model 3. I wanted the open air convertible of the wrangler and also manual transmission. I can’t wait for those long 6-8 weeks

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Occasionally, when I stop at traffic lights, as a bus passes by I catch a glimpse of my reflection in its windows, and I’m reminded of how sexy I look in my JL.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I had a 2003 TJ 5-speed with 175,000 miles on it. Loved that thing, although wasn't my DD. The JL is so much nicer though, as you have found out. It's also my DD now so I appreciate the extra power, comfort and quietness compared to the TJ.

The TJ was cool in its own way though, much more primitive and I enjoyed wrenching on it and fixing it up.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Congratulations on your new Jeep.

JackA

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon; Nacho
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats and good to hear. I will be ordering a JLU sport s this week. I’m coming from a Tesla model 3. I wanted the open air convertible of the wrangler and also manual transmission. I can’t wait for those long 6-8 weeks
It will be interesting to get your comparison of the electronics between the Tesla and Wrangler. We are on our second Model S and the 2021 Wrangler JL is better thought out in display and functions than our 2021 Model S. The navigation system is superior and the flexibility of customization is excellent. (comments based on the 8.4 radio)

Ingram

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Agree 100%. My last Jeep was a TJ also and it’s amazing to me how much quieter my JL is. And I’ve quickly gotten used to having the 4 doors. It’s nice to actually be able to fit people in the back.

Sponsored

Jazzman65

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Congrats! Just got my Unlimited Sport Altitude about two months ago, my first Jeep, and absolutely love it!

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
The JL is like driving a space ship compared to my TJ.
Absolutely. I am very much enjoying my JL. Only got it off road the week I got it, but excited now that warmer temps are hitting.

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
What I love, despite all the recalls, is how capable Jeeps are with the ground clearance and just 4Hi. Knowing you can put the top down, pop a curb and go your own way is peace of mind you just don’t get from most other pavement pounding vehicles.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
I came from a 2 door JK. The JL is definitely the “JK improved”. IMO better looking, less cartoonish, much better quality, and far more comfortable/ well equipped interior. People still think it’s rough riding, darty, hoppy, and loose.....because compared to a crossover or a modern pickup....it is. It still drives like an old truck, because underneath it still is. It’s just the nature of two live axles. People who are used to unibodies and independent suspension and have never driven a body on frame solid axle vehicle will always think it’s of poor ride quality. Not to mention it’s also a convertible, which in and of itself is something alien to most people in regards to noise and rigidity.
Though.....it’s still a marvel of engineering. Sans the Bronco which isn’t in the wild yet, what other coupe/ wagon/ pickup convertible 4x4 is out there? There have been a few in the past, but almost none with the factory capability the wrangler has,, and none with the level of comfort the modern wrangler provides. For a stock vehicle the wrangler is astounding off road right out of the box, a bit of axle hop and wind noise is an acceptable compromise.

I didn’t get a second wrangler....and then a JT....just because I “wanted” one. I have property in northern MI within the national forest, where narrow and sometimes treacherous forestry trails are the easiest way to get from point to point. 4x4 is mandatory, high ground clearance even more so, and a full size pickup is too wide to fit and too long to turn in most places. A narrow tracked high riding 4x4 with good approach/ departure angles is required. The JLU not only fits the bill with a good amount of enclosed cargo space, and luxury features, but for a factory unmodified vehicle....it’s the only option available (until the Bronco comes out).