Sponsored

JL in Europe

emix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911, Mustang GT, Skoda Octavia.
Hello everyone! Does anybody know if the new 3.0 diesel will be available in Europe? My dealer is absolutely useless in this regard. I'm considering a 2.2 but would much rather have a 3.0 if it becomes available next year.
Sponsored

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
UK rubis also have Adaptive Cruise control as standard. If you look at our build sheets it seem to be missing. Ours will have cruise control (not adaptive) and 1 less button on the right side of the steering wheel :)
Iā€™ve a 2019 JLUR ... UK specification and yes to the hood lock as standard an no to adaptive cruise control, just the regular ā€˜speed controlā€™
Also I have selec Trac 4wd system...so I can use Auto 4wd ... again, this is uk spec.

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
Hello everyone! Does anybody know if the new 3.0 diesel will be available in Europe? My dealer is absolutely useless in this regard. I'm considering a 2.2 but would much rather have a 3.0 if it becomes available next year.
I'd be surprised if so... EU market is due to regulations and local tax regimes moving towards downsized engines, Jeep gave us the 2.2 diesel as a replacement for the "old" 2.8 one, and is working on electrification.

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.2 MultiJet Diesel
Electrical gremlins aside (not related to the 2.2 diesel engine), I have been very pleased with mine so far after circa 7000 miles.

I test drove both the 2.0 Petrol and the 2.2 diesel. In the end I went diesel as I felt as though I wouldn't be driving it hard enough to justify the extra performance from the petrol and I liked the idea of the diesel being more fuel efficient.
The diesel seems to suit the nature of the vehicle. It has plenty of low down torque and never struggles on the hills.

My previous 4x4 was a 2.2 Puma diesel Land Rover Defender with 6 speed manual gearbox. The Jeep diesel matched to the 8 speed auto is far more refined and powerful. It is also completely free from all the transmission slop and clunking that is common in the Defender.

Overall it is now returning 28MPG on mainly short journeys around home, mixed with occasional longer 40 mile round trips. Most of my driving is around the Yorkshire Dales, so quite a few hills and narrow twisty roads. On the motorway, if I stick to below 70, then I have been seeing 35 to 38 MPG.
I always run in 4wd Auto as often the roads around here are greasy or covered in mud from farm vehicles.
Given the weight and aerodynamic nature of the JLU, I don't think the MPG figures are too bad. I am reasonable light footed on the gas pedal, but don't hang around either. I suspect if I was more gentle on accelerating, then the fuel figures could be better.

It's been into various dealers over the past 10 months on several occasions to try and get the alarm, front parking sensors and the ESS system working correctly. Each time they have topped up the Adblue free of charge, so it is hard to say how much it is using.
But between visits to the dealers, the Adblue gauge doesn't move much.
Topping up the Adblue is easy anyway as there is a separate small filler next to the main fuel cap. And the Adblue isn't expensive in the UK.

I don't know how reliable the 2.2 diesel will be in the long term compared to the petrol. Hopefully if there are any early teething troubles with the 2.2 in the JL, then they will surface well within the 5 year warranty period.

I bought my JLU with the intention of it being a long term keeper and the problems I have experienced haven't put me off keeping it.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored

Steve_South

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
isuzu dmx, prado landcruiser
Electrical gremlins aside (not related to the 2.2 diesel engine), I have been very pleased with mine so far after circa 7000 miles.

I test drove both the 2.0 Petrol and the 2.2 diesel. In the end I went diesel as I felt as though I wouldn't be driving it hard enough to justify the extra performance from the petrol and I liked the idea of the diesel being more fuel efficient.
The diesel seems to suit the nature of the vehicle. It has plenty of low down torque and never struggles on the hills.

My previous 4x4 was a 2.2 Puma diesel Land Rover Defender with 6 speed manual gearbox. The Jeep diesel matched to the 8 speed auto is far more refined and powerful. It is also completely free from all the transmission slop and clunking that is common in the Defender.

Overall it is now returning 28MPG on mainly short journeys around home, mixed with occasional longer 40 mile round trips. Most of my driving is around the Yorkshire Dales, so quite a few hills and narrow twisty roads. On the motorway, if I stick to below 70, then I have been seeing 35 to 38 MPG.
I always run in 4wd Auto as often the roads around here are greasy or covered in mud from farm vehicles.
Given the weight and aerodynamic nature of the JLU, I don't think the MPG figures are too bad. I am reasonable light footed on the gas pedal, but don't hang around either. I suspect if I was more gentle on accelerating, then the fuel figures could be better.

It's been into various dealers over the past 10 months on several occasions to try and get the alarm, front parking sensors and the ESS system working correctly. Each time they have topped up the Adblue free of charge, so it is hard to say how much it is using.
But between visits to the dealers, the Adblue gauge doesn't move much.
Topping up the Adblue is easy anyway as there is a separate small filler next to the main fuel cap. And the Adblue isn't expensive in the UK.

I don't know how reliable the 2.2 diesel will be in the long term compared to the petrol. Hopefully if there are any early teething troubles with the 2.2 in the JL, then they will surface well within the 5 year warranty period.

I bought my JLU with the intention of it being a long term keeper and the problems I have experienced haven't put me off keeping it.

Hope this helps.
Yes, yes, it helps, cause i was worried about getting stranded everywhere because of adblue .Thanks

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess if you were going a long way off the beaten track, you could always carry a sealed 5 litre bottle of it in the storage area under the rear cargo mat for peace of mind.

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
My company car has a 16L adblue tank, and the supposed range is 16.000k... You thus should not get easily worried about running out of adblue if you regularly top it up. Wrangler will most likely consume more of the stuff, but with a 19L tank, you still have nothing to worry about.

Steve_South

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
isuzu dmx, prado landcruiser
Lohr and kivo, I hear you.
But another question: noise! have you driven with the roof down? how is that? and putting the windshield down on the hood? any rattling?

UKJeep2018

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Wrangler Sahara
Lohr and kivo, I hear you.
But another question: noise! have you driven with the roof down? how is that? and putting the windshield down on the hood? any rattling?
I replaced my hardtop with a soft top and while the noise is noticeable you can still hold a conversation, even when driving at 70mph. With the roof down you are obviously going to get a lot more noise from the wind and buffeting at high speed but itā€™s still decent.

I believe you need to buy straps to tie down the windshield. I havenā€™t had my windshield down so I canā€™t say if thereā€™s rattling

Sponsored

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
Can't tell for the JL since "mine" is on order, so I can only comment with my old JK in mind. Needless to say if you take the freedom panels off, you'll have more noise, but imo still within reason. Of course, what is OK for one, can be horrible for someone else - I.e. how you feel about a noise/sound can be very different from me, what doesn't bother me, might bother you...

As for the windshield, I have no experience with taking it down (which was way too big a hassle on the JK to begin with).

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I keep thinking about getting a soft top, but finding space for the hard top is an issue. And the soft top kits are still expensive in UK as there aren't many about yet. My old Wrangler TJ was a soft top and I did enjoy using it without the roof, although it was a real pain to drop and refit it.
It seems as though the JL soft top is a bit easier to deal with.

With the freedom panels out I do find the JLU quite noisy at motorway speeds, but around the country lanes it was fine.
In the UK, the hard top versions are supplied with a handy storage bag for the two freedom panels which straps against the back of the rear seats in the cargo area. A neat idea as it protects them from scratches and damage.

kennware

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2.0 Ocean Blue Metallic
Yet to have any part of the roof off yet (only got it in November) due to the chilly weather...! Very tempted to get a soft top for the warmer months ahead, albeit the near Ā£2k price is holding me back and also unsure whether to go with Mopar or Bestop.

Good to hear the noise isn't too bad @UKJeep2018. How well does it cope with weather/temperature? And is it as easy to operate as it seems in all the Youtube videos?!

kennware

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2.0 Ocean Blue Metallic
Been reading this post regarding the painting of grille inserts and saw some US owners painting the fog light surrounds. Really not a fan of the silver surrounds on mine, but they're different from the US spec. Has anyone had a go at painting the silver surrounds or have any ideas regarding this (either how it would look or how to go about it)? Cheers.

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I keep thinking about getting a soft top, but finding space for the hard top is an issue. And the soft top kits are still expensive in UK as there aren't many about yet. My old Wrangler TJ was a soft top and I did enjoy using it without the roof, although it was a real pain to drop and refit it.
It seems as though the JL soft top is a bit easier to deal with.

With the freedom panels out I do find the JLU quite noisy at motorway speeds, but around the country lanes it was fine.
In the UK, the hard top versions are supplied with a handy storage bag for the two freedom panels which straps against the back of the rear seats in the cargo area. A neat idea as it protects them from scratches and damage.
I have the roof panels replaced with the Bestop Sunrider top for hardtops. It was a really easy install....and can be uninstalled as easily ... some great YouTube vids on that. Noisier as motorway speeds, but not bad....you can still chat at 70mph. I didnā€™t get the dual top. I had that on my previous 2013 and 2017 Jkā€™s but I hardly ever bothered to swap the hard top out for the soft top...and I have a harken hoist in my garage roof which made that a doddle to do. Just the uk weather really didnā€™t merit the effort. Opening the sunrider top is dead easy if I fancy some fresh air
Sponsored