Sponsored

JL IIHS Crash Test Videos - Marginal Overall Safety Rating, Good Side Impact Rating

AlanD

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nacho Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Sports Bar, Roll cage, Really? It's not a NASCAR built racing machine. Good, call it a sports bar, .I'll have to look if it's tied to frame. But it does go forward behind windshield. It does extend back over rear passengers. It is much safer than a convertible with out a (Sports Cage)... But guess what it works. Yes you roll it at 50 60 or 70 your could be in serious trouble. It slid in to concrete barriers at end of test and IIHS made no issue of intrusion. The point is it flipped on its side, The IIHS makes no mention of the (Sports Bar) in the press release that I saw. I guess once i read it, Article says tipped over not roll over....(my bad). it is not a totally unexpected in an accident in a vehicle with a higher center of gravity. If you look JK nearly had same result. Stiffer JL chassis just tipped it over edge. I feel safer in my Wrangler than I ever did in my Camaro.. Sorry to see it tipped over. But I'll be lots of people will flip out about it...

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/jeep-wrangler-tips-over-during-iihs-crash-test
Sponsored

AlanD

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nacho Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone would like to comment on the performance of the LED headlamps?
Well they got 1 thing right at least. I upgraded mine to SV4 LED Even with LED upgrade bulbs stock reflectors are bad. I don't think IIHS will comment on LED's as they are optional. It's the one thing I need to change but good headlights don't come cheap...

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
It's painful watching slow-motion wrecks, even if they are only tests.

It looks to me like the small overlap barrier sheared the fender and front wheel, then following what I believe would be the taper of the ladder frame. That outward taper lifted the Wrangler onto its side. A lot of energy was used up by that lifting process. I'll surmise that if the Wrangler had been unibody construction, the energy would have continued straight towards the driver, er, dummy. So the roll might have been somewhat beneficial, rather than totally negative.

As far as the Wrangler sliding on its side into the wall, waxed shiny floors are not normal driving surfaces.

That is my lay opinion, I am not an engineer. YMMV.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I am pleasantly surprised at how well it did on side-impact. That is the one safety area that I've been concerned about with the Jeep and kids. Wish it had rear passenger side-impact airbags.
Good point Keith, if you notice the rear dummy left ink on the metal frame of the rear door. That woulda been bad if that was a child back there

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
What do these videos seek to prove, that physics works? An object moving at a high rate of speed meets another object that is full of mass and stationary. The objects collide and an off center impact occurs, causing the moving object to roll sideways and continue moving in the direction it was going while the stationary object doesn’t move at all. Your physics teacher wants to know... what just happened and why? And yes, there are wrong answers.

Sponsored

Taktix1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Altitude, 2012 Audi A6, 2018 Honda Odyssey
What do these videos seek to prove, that physics works? An object moving at a high rate of speed meets another object that is full of mass and stationary. The objects collide and an off center impact occurs, causing the moving object to roll sideways and continue moving in the direction it was going while the stationary object doesn’t move at all. Your physics teacher wants to know... what just happened and why? And yes, there are wrong answers.
I love my JLU and while this might concern me just a slight bit, it's not enough to make me think twice about the purchase. However, there is something to be said for this being the only time in history that a car has done this. That doesn't sound good at all.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Happy it did better than expected.
The rear passenger side impact I expected without curtain airbags. Hence I consider my wrangler a three seater and my kid sits middle back there. Far away from those pillars.
The rollover isn’t great but the dummy had no damage so plus???

The headlights are light years better than my old volvo. I have LEDs that got poor. My wife has an RDX that got Good. I’ll be honest. Hers and mine look the same when we are driving. Hers are a hair better. So not sure why it’s so so low. I can literally drive a top safety pick plus and my wrangler back to back and the difference is small.

Not the death trap I was expecting. Even the crash prevention it aced. Again my volvo failed the 25mph test.

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
The test simulates a vehicle colliding with another of same mass going in opposite direction. This is a very important test as a lot of collisions happen this way on 2 lane roads. The jeep did great it looks like as the passenger area stayed in tact. The issue is the rollover. That should not be happening, but I am assuming it is due to the ride height and high approach angle.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
..it's not enough to make me think twice about the purchase. However, there is something to be said for this being the only time in history that a car has done this...
As it shouldn’t. If you’ve ever come across an accident where high speed was involved and the dynamics are similar to the test, this type of behavior is ugly but normal. All things considered, the Wrangler did very well. Other vehicles may not have fared as well.

...The jeep did great it looks like as the passenger area stayed in tact. The issue is the rollover. That should not be happening, but I am assuming it is due to the ride height and high approach angle.
Agreed, the Jeep did well. Rollovers can happen to any vehicle - I’ve seen low to the ground passenger vehicles roll over and go sideways/upside down. The same with low slung SUVs. My point was that the crash test videos show physics in action and how well the Wrangler measures up to the laws of physics in a controlled test. Real life accidents can be ugly and I’ve seen much worse.

Be safe everybody.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Years ago I saw a low speed T bone accident. A woman went through a red light and hit a SUV on the side but she wasn’t flying. As a matter of fact she had almost stopped in time but that little hit flipped the Jeep/Range Rover I cant remember the make.
Bottom line is, yes we’re more susceptible to flip over but it’s a trade off. If you drive a car low to the ground you’ll have less chance to flip but have you ever seen accidents where those cars go under tractor trailers? I have

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
The side impact video is clearly bogus. A Wrangler struck by a vehicle moving at 38.5 mph and the windshield didn’t even crack? Fake! I farted once and the windshield shattered.

Lets see Zapruder’s film of this crash.
Hmm, I distinctly remember a certain Jeep that ran into a crevice at last year's EJS that didn't crack it's windshield:giggle:

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I noticed in the video that the right front passenger wheel was yanked hard left on impact which created a pivot point for the roll over. Stated another way...the solid front axle/steering design contributed to the rollover.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
And here's how the JK performed in the same test.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Yeah the JL sport bar is significantly better than the Jk. The JK’s does not even go down along the windshield..just crumples.
Sponsored