Sponsored

JL IIHS Crash Test Videos - Marginal Overall Safety Rating, Good Side Impact Rating

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Also see previous results from NHTSA:
NHTSA crash test rating of 4 stars for 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU 4-door!!

Via Road & Track:

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety released two videos on its YouTube channel today showing crash tests performed on the current JL-generation Jeep Wrangler. In the driver-side small overlap test shown above, the SUV rolled over onto its side upon impact, prompting the IIHS to hand it a Marginal overall safety rating.

The IIHS says it conducted two drive-side small overlap crash tests using 2019 model-year Wrangler four-doors, and both yielded unfavorable results. From the Institute's website:

In both the Institute's tests, the vehicle tipped onto its passenger side after striking the barrier. The partial rollover presents an additional injury risk beyond what the standard criteria are intended to measure in small overlap frontal crash tests. A vehicle tipping onto its side is not an acceptable outcome for a frontal crash and, as a result, the Wrangler's overall rating was downgraded to marginal.
While the 2018-2020 Wrangler scored an overall Marginal rating (one ranking above Poor), it scored well in driver safety measures. The IIHS says the crash test dummy's "survival space" was maintained well, and risk of injuries to to the legs and feet area was low. The testing organization didn't speculate on what caused the rollover, but judging by the video, we suspect the Wrangler's high center of gravity had a hand in the result.

The IIHS also released a video of the JL Wrangler's 31-mph side impact crash test, where it earned a Good overall evaluation:

Also see previous results from NHTSA:
NHTSA crash test rating of 4 stars for 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU 4-door!!
Sponsored

KeithM

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 06 Duramax, e39 Touring
Occupation
Software
I am pleasantly surprised at how well it did on side-impact. That is the one safety area that I've been concerned about with the Jeep and kids. Wish it had rear passenger side-impact airbags.

AlanD

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nacho Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Guess what? It's a jeep, it's not Camaro or a family sedan. I traded in a Camaro.Very obvious they don't handle the same. I can see and avoid far better from up here. I have a full frame and body to absorb energy. If god forbids the worse happens I have a FULL ROLL CAGE! to protect me. If you throw out the roll over it did well the driver was well protected. Would be interested in an engineer looking at there testing methodology. Remember turns out The Samurai failed due to outriggers being bolted above center of gravity. Al in all not surprised. Correct me if I am wrong this is not an official government testing agency. It is run by Insurance companies?

Sponsored

setaonaes

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Manufacturing Manager
How bout they do the same testing with one with a 3" lift, 35s or 37s and rock armor. Let's see the results then.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Guess what? It's a jeep, it's not Camaro or a family sedan. I traded in a Camaro.Very obvious they don't handle the same. I can see and avoid far better from up here. I have a full frame and body to absorb energy. If god forbids the worse happens I have a FULL ROLL CAGE! to protect me. If you throw out the roll over it did well the driver was well protected. Would be interested in an engineer looking at there testing methodology. Remember turns out The Samurai failed due to outriggers being bolted above center of gravity. Al in all not surprised. Correct me if I am wrong this is not an official government testing agency. It is run by Insurance companies?
You put a roll cage in your Wrangler? :)

In seriousness, it's obviously safer if the thing didn't roll onto its side during the test. Also, there doesn't seem to be any set crash tests that the Wrangler aced. In the real world, however, I imagine that there are certain scenarios where it would quite well.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Let's be clear. No factory Wrangler has a full roll cage. It has a sports bar that's only rated for low-speed rollovers. If I see one more person arguing that the Wrangler has a full roll cage today I'm going to lose my mind.

nunziotocci

First Name
Annunziato
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Husqvarna Svartpilen 701
Let's be clear. No factory Wrangler has a full roll cage. It has a sports bar that's only rated for low-speed rollovers. If I see one more person arguing that the Wrangler has a full roll cage today I'm going to lose my mind.
This is something I genuinely didn't know. Thanks for pointing out the distinction. Really cool videos! That rollover didn't look fun, but it seems like I would've survived.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
I am pleasantly surprised at how well it did on side-impact. That is the one safety area that I've been concerned about with the Jeep and kids. Wish it had rear passenger side-impact airbags.
Same here, side impacts are worrying. The rollover during small offset front collision is worrying, but seems the structure protected occupants regardless.

Sponsored

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
At least the removable doors didn’t fly open during the impact

Reactions: VNT

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
The side impact video is clearly bogus. A Wrangler struck by a vehicle moving at 38.5 mph and the windshield didn’t even crack? Fake! I farted once and the windshield shattered.

Lets see Zapruder’s film of this crash.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
The side impact video is clearly bogus. A Wrangler struck by a vehicle moving at 38.5 mph and the windshield didn’t even crack? Fake! I farted once and the windshield shattered.
What did you eat? Not all farts are created equal.
Sponsored