Sponsored

JL I want to buy has been recalled.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I wouldnt buy any 2018 right now. These recalls arent over.
I totally understand the OP's desire to buy now. Some people don't have cars to drive or have leases expiring. They need cars. Personally I would hold off as long as possible. I was going to order my 2019 last week until I saw the recall. Thankfully my JL is a want not a need. It is a strong want though. Fortunately I have other cars to drive. I am waiting for more details on how severe this problem actually is. I am starting to wonder if FCA really has any idea of how many bad frames are out there? FCA states it's not just 2018 frames. The recall states 2018-2019 frames. How does FCA's inventory control not know when parts were assembled? Then you see examples of frames marked so poorly you can't actually identify or read the numbers on the frames. The numbers look like someone engraved them with a Dremel tool? Another concerning thing is some people with 2018 models have reported questionable welds on frames that were not included in the recall. This does not instill much confidence.
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Either way you'll have to wait until these issues are figured out by the clueless Jeep/FCA people. Until then, your money is better in your pocket than in theirs. Or get a JK... the JL was massively overhyped because of the 11 year life cycle of the JK but it doesn't really deliver as everyone expected. Most JL buyers are either clueless (emperor's new clothes syndrome) or just happy to be in a new vehicle (giddy juice effect) which is why you come across a few who are truly happy with their JLs.
I don't have a horse in the race, don't own a JL yet. I was going to order last week but am waiting since the frame recall just came out. I want more details on it. I have other cars to use so it's not a big deal to wait for more news. I do feel the 2018 JK is unequivocally more reliable then the first year 2018 JL. It is expected since it has had 12 years to work out production problems. I am realistic and I know FCA QC can be improved upon. I believe there are manufacturing quality control issues that still need to be worked out with the JL. That is true for all car companies. I also believe there are a lot of happy JL owners without issues. Aside from quality issues how do you think the JL failed?

Have you actually driven a JL? Did you actually drive a JL back to back with a JK?
Which model engine, transmission? What did the JL not deliver on compared to the JK? I only question you because I owned a 2015 JK and test drove a 2018 JK back to back with a 2018 JL several times. I definitely can say unequivocally, in my opinion, the JL is improved. I think most people would agree after actually driving both. I feel the JL is more refine, noise-vibration-harshness is better, the interior is modern, the technology is greatly improved, the 8-speed automatic is a huge improvement over the old 5-speed, there are more engine choices, the 2.0 Turbo has better low end torque, mpg are up, the 3.6 feels even better in the JL, the soft top is much easier to use, the front windshield is easier to put down, the doors are lighter and easier to remove, improved suspension, larger brakes, drivetrain is improved, more options then ever, more capable, etc. Personally my only gripes with the JL are increased cost, the JL got expensive! And initial quality, FCA need to get on this. I get the concept of inflation. I definitely feel better quality control is expected now Wranglers are priced as much as premium brands. There is no excuse for the quality we are seeing for what FCA is charging. Another gripe is with how FCA is dealing with some of these quality control issues and how they are treating the owners who have issues. I think part of the problem is with certain dealers but FCA definitely needs to have better service for warranty issues.

Last edited:

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
So let's talk logic here... are you saying there are no JL owners who are experiencing the emperor's new clothes syndrome or the giddy juice effect?
No, of course there are... but let’s talk logic. You said “most” ... how can you possibly make such a ridiculous assumption about thousands upon thousands of JL owners. All of what you said is simply your opinion, not factual.

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
My dealership (small) had about a dozen Jeeps within the recall range. They took pictures two days ago and were waiting on a reply yesterday. Check back with the dealership and find out what they are doing relative to the recall on the Jeep you're interested in purchasing. It seems it's not that uncommon to find one on the dealers lot right now that is in the recall range. If FCA passes it and you like the looks of the weld, then buy it ... at the least, you're out of the "I wonder if the track bar welds are okay" crowd!

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
So let's talk logic here... are you saying there are no JL owners who are experiencing the emperor's new clothes syndrome or the giddy juice effect?
As paulr said, I think the fact that you used "most" in your original statement is what caused so many people to cry foul. I really like my JL, and I'm far from mechanically clueless, and new cars are not rare to me. I'm blinded by neither issue and I still like my JL. I think "most" is the trigger word there. Some? Sure. Most? Unlikely, now that they've been on the market for about a year..

If people are going to compare it to the fable of the emperors new clothes, a comparison could also be made to the tale of chicken little. I myself don’t feel that the sky is falling.
Nope, the sky is definitely not falling. I think it's a great vehicle.

To the OP. I wouldn't worry too much about buying one that was on the recall list. They'll do the recall before it's sold, so you'll know it's been checked when you buy it. Heck that may be better than buying one that wasn't on the list because now you know it's been cleared. Personally, I'd still check it out myself, but a second set of eyes looking at it doesn't hurt.
FWIW, yes I did check mine, and my welds look fine. It's very easy to do a visual inspection of them, because they're accessible.

Beartooth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unl Rubicon; 2018 JK Unl Sport; 1976 CJ-7 V8
First of all, the JK interior is WAY more comfortable and roomy. But, the JL design is better, and, the JL powertrain is WAY better. The 850RFE trans. and the PUG version of the V6 mated to the standard 3.45 gear ratio is light years ahead of anything ever offered on JK. So, while there are certainly good reasons to buy the JK instead, there is no way you can make the claim that people who are happy with their JLs are simply feeling "emperor's new clothes syndrome". The JL is a big step forward. Remember, JK had lots of serious issues too including engine failures, HVAC failures, water leaks, etc.

Secondly, it's true that this recall doesn't cover nearly as much as it should because mine was built 2-1-18 and the welds look awful. Tons of porosity, splatter, and a couple of places that aren't even welded at all that I think should be. It's terrible. But since my VIN isn't recalled, I can't do anything but show it to my dealer and see what they say, which will likely be "we can't help you".
What is your frame date? My frame date is 06518 (06-MAR-2018) and a vin build date of 18-MAR-2018.

My frame welds look as good as my son’s 2018 JKUS; Minor porosity, minimal splatter & minor misalignment in a few places. Neither have welds as good as my 2019 F250, but both JL and JK frames are good enough for the next 50 years. I should up load pics of the imperfect factory welds on my ‘76 CJ-7; 42 years old and still holding with significant abuse.

PEABUDY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR GRANITE CRYSTAL
Vehicle Showcase
Let the dealer know you want to purchase it. All the dealer has to do is take a few pictures and email it to FCA. They should get a response within 24 hours whether the weld passes or fails. If it passes, purchase it. If it fails, move on unless you want to wait for it to get rewelded. Personally, if it fails, I would move on.
Why would you move on-A simple reweld will fix it and probably be better than factory!

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
Is that money burning a hole in your pocket? I would certainly wait for a build that I can trust.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
What is your frame date? My frame date is 06518 (06-MAR-2018) and a vin build date of 18-MAR-2018.

My frame welds look as good as my son’s 2018 JKUS; Minor porosity, minimal splatter & minor misalignment in a few places. Neither have welds as good as my 2019 F250, but both JL and JK frames are good enough for the next 50 years. I should up load pics of the imperfect factory welds on my ‘76 CJ-7; 42 years old and still holding with significant abuse.
Mine is 025. Pretty early in the run. I think they'd been building JL for around 60 days at that point.

Sponsored

TXRobD

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Toyota Tacoma, 2018 JLUR Sting Gray
Either way you'll have to wait until these issues are figured out by the clueless Jeep/FCA people. Until then, your money is better in your pocket than in theirs. Or get a JK... the JL was massively overhyped because of the 11 year life cycle of the JK but it doesn't really deliver as everyone expected. Most JL buyers are either clueless (emperor's new clothes syndrome) or just happy to be in a new vehicle (giddy juice effect) which is why you come across a few who are truly happy with their JLs.
JK guy trolling in the JL forum. There is a JK forum for you.

Beartooth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unl Rubicon; 2018 JK Unl Sport; 1976 CJ-7 V8
JK guy trolling in the JL forum. There is a JK forum for you.
I am using the Ignore feature on this forum. They should rename it Troll Block for how well it works.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
That is correct.

I found the exact package I was looking for in a JLUR in Indianapolis. Drove up there to deal on it and and found it was pulled from the lot for the recall . Dealer told me it won’t be available to sell til sometime in December .

I think it’s too early for dealers to truly know what is needed to be done with this recall. I had told them more info regarding the recall from this forum than they had seen to date from fca.

It was a white Rubicon. Glad I kept searching and found another one in Mojito up in northern Illinois .
I don’t understand this. All the dealer has to do is take a couple pics of the weld and email to FCA for inspection. If the weld passes, then it can be removed from the recall and sold. Now if the weld fails inspection then it will require repair before being sold. Maybe the white Rubi had a defective weld which required a repair.

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Depends...they say 18000 are to be inspected, but only about 800 need the fix. Inspections shouldn’t take that long.... if it’s actually one of the 800, who knows how long that will take.
This^ I own one of the recalled Jeeps I saw the thread about the weld issues and I went under mine and looked at the welds. Mine looked ok. I'm still going to take it in but our Jeep is getting prepped for the SEMA show and I don't get it back until sometime after 2 November. Bottom line, not all the Jeeps being recalled are bad.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
The funny thing about all this is that people all of a sudden are Welding experts. I can guarantee before all this, none of you gave any thought to welds on your vehicles. I bet there were plenty of vehicles we all have driven that had welds that weren't the best. I just checked a few JK's and even those aren't that great.
Sponsored