Sponsored

JL I want to buy has been recalled.

ERIXJLUR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Crystal Rubicon 2.0L (ordered on 2/12 received on 9/26)
I had two JKs, Now I have the new JLURT. They weren't kidding when they said they made EVERYTHING better. Enjoy!
I love the JK but I won't be missing it, oddly.
Agree 100%.

It’s finally super capable off road and comfortable enough to be a true daily driver.
Sponsored

JlURT

First Name
WILLY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlURT18'
Agree 100%.

It’s finally super capable off road and comfortable enough to be a true daily driver.
Looks like you ordered your 2.0T right when the books open for them like I did, lol.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Let the dealer know you want to purchase it. All the dealer has to do is take a few pictures and email it to FCA. They should get a response within 24 hours whether the weld passes or fails. If it passes, purchase it. If it fails, move on unless you want to wait for it to get rewelded. Personally, if it fails, I would move on.

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
1. Good to know they are not letting dealer service centers inspect and decide.

2. Might be good to buy a fixed one. At least you know it’s been inspected and re-welded.

RavenJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito 2016 Granite Backcountry 2007 Camp Jeep
Either way you'll have to wait until these issues are figured out by the clueless Jeep/FCA people. Until then, your money is better in your pocket than in theirs. Or get a JK... the JL was massively overhyped because of the 11 year life cycle of the JK but it doesn't really deliver as everyone expected. Most JL buyers are either clueless (emperor's new clothes syndrome) or just happy to be in a new vehicle (giddy juice effect) which is why you come across a few who are truly happy with their JLs.
I really loved my JKU and still have a JK but my JL is way better. Your statement are ridiculous. As to the question, personally I would pass on this vehicle, why chance it when there are so many not included in the recall .

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I finally found a JL in stock that I like and its recalled for the welding issues. Will this recall take a long time to fix? It a while to find my JL ....this sux.
The recall states 18,000 2018-2019 frames are possibly under recall. The problem is there are reports of frames with bad welds that are not within the range FCA specified. Meaning the issue is more widespread or FCA has no real idea of how many frames are actually defective. Personally I would not buy a JL that is definitely included in the recall. Why take the chance? This is not a simple recall like replacing a defective part with a improved part. The frame is the back bone of the Wrangler. They need to send out a "qualified" welder to make repairs on site. One forum member had this done and it did not go well. He had several welding experts inspect repaired welds after the repairs. I think his certified welding inspectors said making this type of repair on a galvanized steel is more complex. I believe FCA is replacing his JL with a new one. At the very least I'd order a new 2019. Hopefully the chances of a bad frame would be reduced. You would also get exactly what you want.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
I love my JL. I have had no issues at all with the JLUR. Good welds, great steering, amazing off-road.
Great for now but not all issues are discoverable by the end user and not all recalls/issues have been identified/admitted by Jeep. There's a new recall almost every week... better not count your money cos the deal ain't done yet.

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
Some of your statements about JL owners are honestly ridiculous. My JL is light years better than my JK.
So let's talk logic here... are you saying there are no JL owners who are experiencing the emperor's new clothes syndrome or the giddy juice effect?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
If a vehicle involved in this recall is on a dealer lot, there is a stop sale order on it until recall is addressed. They can’t sell it to you even if they wanted to.

Smokie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Mojito!
Occupation
Retired, part-time bartender
If a vehicle involved in this recall is on a dealer lot, there is a stop sale order on it until recall is addressed. They can’t sell it to you even if they wanted to.
That is correct.

I found the exact package I was looking for in a JLUR in Indianapolis. Drove up there to deal on it and and found it was pulled from the lot for the recall . Dealer told me it won’t be available to sell til sometime in December .

I think it’s too early for dealers to truly know what is needed to be done with this recall. I had told them more info regarding the recall from this forum than they had seen to date from fca.

It was a white Rubicon. Glad I kept searching and found another one in Mojito up in northern Illinois .

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
First of all, the JK interior is WAY more comfortable and roomy. But, the JL design is better, and, the JL powertrain is WAY better. The 850RFE trans. and the PUG version of the V6 mated to the standard 3.45 gear ratio is light years ahead of anything ever offered on JK. So, while there are certainly good reasons to buy the JK instead, there is no way you can make the claim that people who are happy with their JLs are simply feeling "emperor's new clothes syndrome". The JL is a big step forward. Remember, JK had lots of serious issues too including engine failures, HVAC failures, water leaks, etc.

Secondly, it's true that this recall doesn't cover nearly as much as it should because mine was built 2-1-18 and the welds look awful. Tons of porosity, splatter, and a couple of places that aren't even welded at all that I think should be. It's terrible. But since my VIN isn't recalled, I can't do anything but show it to my dealer and see what they say, which will likely be "we can't help you".
Sponsored