Sponsored

mark thieda

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The nonfunctional hood vents really bugged me. The 3.6 engine compartment gets very hot and needs a working hood vent. Here’s a DIY project that I did at $ 0 cost. I cut open the insulation hood cover around the vents to discover Jeep engineering had a drain hole just dumping onto the back side of hood insulation and going nowhere. I cut the three vent area’s open with a vibrating trim saw. Glued and taped insulation cover to give it a trimmed out look. To solve the future water intrusion problem into engine compartment made clear plexiglass covers for the exterior. Hope this tip helps with your overheating JL. I tow a 3,500 lbs. trailer and can’t wait to try this out this summer.

D80D16A7-67D7-46EF-9CCA-C867C8260CA0.jpeg

3E46C513-9A9C-4E74-BE0C-67ED85D068DF.jpeg
Sponsored

Caliguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLU
I thought about this mod. Then I realized the insulation panel underneath actually has water forging properties to move water to the edges.

this nod slows water straight into the engine compartment

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
The engine compartment isn't watertight. Water gets splashed up from the tires and also comes right into the grille, through the radiator and gets sent everywhere by the fans. I wouldn't worry much about the vents letting in water.

But FYI, this has been tested by another user. I can't seem to find it right now but the TL;DR is that It doesn't help at all while driving. However it helps tremendously once you park.

I had a big heat soak problem when I parked in a sunny lot in 108F desert heat for 15-20 minutes and got back on the road. Codes thrown left & right, went into limp mode. Everything under the hood was hot to the touch, even things that don't generate heat. The windshield washer fluid tank was almost too hot to touch. Had to find shade and sit with the hood open for 20 minutes to let everything cool off. Then all was well again.

That hasn't happened again since I opened up the hood vents and gave engine heat an easy way to escape while parked. That's the primary function of opening the vents.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
I live in the desert where the asphalt melts in the Summer and it stays 100F at midnight.

My JKU doesn’t have engine compartment side vents like the JLUR has. We have hundreds of wranglers in Vegas and in 19 years of living here haven’t seen any overheated Wranglers on the side of the road with the hood up.

And the Arizona guys are always a couple degrees hotter than us.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL hood vent correction DIY -- vents now open & functional 30BBD747-FFD7-47F1-B2ED-00D9B378A391
Jeep Wrangler JL JL hood vent correction DIY -- vents now open & functional FEB94A08-BA6F-4759-A1BC-66745EA27E28
Jeep Wrangler JL JL hood vent correction DIY -- vents now open & functional E03A8C30-A91F-445B-AB41-E57A2B70DD53
Sponsored