Sponsored

JL High Altitude Suspension vs Rubicon Suspension

djherdez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU - High Altitude
Can someone tell me the difference in suspension height between the JL Sport, High Altitude & Rubicon? More specifically where the high altitude fits between the 2.

I have a 22 JLU-HA and want to bump the height up a bit but not too much. Would a Rubicon suspension raise mine up higher? (You can sometimes find those 2nd hand after people upgrade) Would I only need the shocks & springs?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Arachnids

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Xe High Altitude
Not a whole lot if you're going to be putting the labor for a swap you might as well go for an aftermarket suspension because it will be barely noticeable.

OP
OP
djherdez

djherdez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU - High Altitude
How much though? I’m asking about the inches in difference not the cost justification.
what I’m asking is what is the difference in height in the High Altitude and Rubicon. I thought the HA was higher than a Sport but I could be wrong.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
High Altitude is a Sahara underneath with wider JT axles, which means suspension height is going to be similar to a Sahara or Sport, or about 1 inch less than Rubicon.

What I’m not clear about is if Rubicon springs are actually any different from Sport and Sahara, or if it is the 32.7-inch tires that account for Rubicon’s greater height.

Also keep in mind High Altitude has those low-profile street tires, which I believe measure around 30 inches. Sahara, Willys and most Sport come with 32s.

OP
OP
djherdez

djherdez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU - High Altitude
High Altitude is a Sahara underneath with wider JT axles, which means suspension height is going to be similar to a Sahara or Sport, or about 1 inch less than Rubicon.

What I’m not clear about is if Rubicon springs are actually any different from Sport and Sahara, or if it is the 32.7-inch tires that account for Rubicon’s greater height.

Also keep in mind High Altitude has those low-profile street tires, which I believe measure around 30 inches. Sahara, Willys and most Sport come with 32s.
Yeah I got rid of those Bridgestone Duelers pretty quick and got some 33” Toyo AT3’s. They are great for what I want to do.

Sponsored

OP
OP
djherdez

djherdez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU - High Altitude

Yeah I just thought the Rubicons either had longer shocks / springs or both as compared to the sports and I can’t seem to find how that compares to the HA.

Beretta67

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 2D OM, 20 Mojave, 21 JLU, 22 Willys

The Rubicon springs are around an inch longer than the stock springs.

OP
OP
djherdez

djherdez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU - High Altitude
Thank you

Sponsored

OP
OP
djherdez

djherdez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU - High Altitude
You would want both the Rubicon shocks & springs. The suspension will sit about 1" higher.
Can I paint them black to match my murdered out JL? Hahaha

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Can I paint them black to match my murdered out JL? Hahaha
Absolutely! I spray painted my Old Man Emu Nitrocharger shocks because they were yellow and my accent color is red. The red & yellow looked way too "hot dog stand".

Clean them really well and sand the existing paint a bit for best adhesion.

OP
OP
djherdez

djherdez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU - High Altitude
Haha awesome.

Arachnids

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Xe High Altitude
You would want both the Rubicon shocks & springs. The suspension will sit about 1" higher.

It won't sit an inch higher.
The larger tires (33 vs 32) on the rubicon already account for .5 inch of the ground clearance difference so realisticaly with your stock tire size you're looking at most at a 0.5 inch lift.
IMO not worth it.

As an alternative Putting 35 inch tires on your stock 20' wheels will give you higher ground clearance than a stock rubicon and will also cost you less

OP
OP
djherdez

djherdez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU - High Altitude
It won't sit an inch higher.
The larger tires (33 vs 32) on the rubicon already account for .5 inch of the ground clearance difference so realisticaly with your stock tire size you're looking at most at a 0.5 inch lift.
IMO not worth it.

As an alternative Putting 35 inch tires on your stock 20' wheels will give you higher ground clearance than a stock rubicon and will also cost you less
Thanks for the response. I plan to put 35’s on as well eventually. Sounds like I might just want to get some Mopar shocks and springs that bump it up an inch.
I’m just trying to keep the ride quality the same and bump it up a couple inches.
Sponsored