JL Hi-Lift Hood Mount

Punk’nJL812

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
Has anyone mounted dual Pods on their A Pillar and ran a Hi Lift mount on the hood as well? Any interference with the lights from the hi lift? Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone mounted dual Pods on their A Pillar and ran a Hi Lift mount on the hood as well? Any interference with the lights from the hi lift? Thanks in advance!!
Another member was recently commenting about the hood mounted hi lift blocking the windshield sprayers.

From my readings, the consensus on hi lift mounting is that it's best if mounted inside the Jeep because they tend to not weather that well and can be rendered useless.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
They’re pieces of rust outside even though initially they look cool on the hood. Tied down and secured inside the Jeep really is the best place for one of the Hi-Lift.
I can't remember the specific company, but they make a hi lift bracket that mounts to the rearmost crossbar and also has provisions for an ax and shovel. And it doesn't hang below the sports bar, so it won't impede the rearview mirror.

Some have argued against interior storage, because a used jack is often times left dirty. But for someone who's looking to be ready, you'd think on board air and a blow gun would also be part of their arsenal.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I mount my Hi-Lift in the bed of my brother's Gladiator. It adds no weight to my Jeep and it doesn't take up any space. It also doesn't interfere with my windshield washers :CWL:

In all seriousness, I bought a storage bag from Hi Lift, so when I take a trip where I think I need it (and my brother isn't going) then I just put it in the cargo area. The bag keeps it from banging anything up and if it gets nasty, keeps the dirt/mud out of my Jeep. Otherwise, when my brother or a friend with one is along, I rely on theirs and leave mine at home. (I really am that picky about weight and space.)

Sponsored

DarkAardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2021 JLR
I would mount it somewhere not over your body
I had one on the hood of my TJ for years. The jack started rusting, the metal jack mounts started rusting, etc. Rusty water dripped on the hood and shit. I'd personally not do it.

For my JL I mounted it to the front of the hoop on my bumper. Maybe it won't be bad?

And for the comment about them weathering, bring a can of WD40 and spray it before you use it. They'll seize up, but WD40 will break it loose. They also make boots you can put over the mechanical bits

I'm also experimenting with fluid filming it (mechanical parts and all), but we'll see how that goes

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hood is a bad place IMO. I carry mine on the frt. bumper hoop also. Inside is best place if you have a JLU. My JL isn't a DD'R and I store my Hi-lift in the shed. Thumb screws have it on/off quick without body dmage worries. The bumpers are a good location (2dr/4 dr.) just don't leave it there. It's a trail recover tool. Not needed in town.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Hi-Lift Hood Mount Hi-Lift Jack mounted

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Another minus for the hood mount is that if you drop it, you damage your expensive hood. Sometimes it will be muddy or wet, making the odds greater for a slip or drop that can damage your hood.

OP
OP

Punk’nJL812

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
Another minus for the hood mount is that if you drop it, you damage your expensive hood. Sometimes it will be muddy or wet, making the odds greater for a slip or drop that can damage your hood.

thanks to all that replied! I will not be mounting it on the hood now😂
Sponsored