Sponsored

JL GPS Navigation is a total waste of money!

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
I previously posted a question and comments on the lack of dirt/off road trails appearing on the JL navigation. We've spent the past two months in the Tucson, Yuma, Quartzite and Mesa areas. We went off road in the Buenos Aries NWR, Barry Goldwater Range, Kofa NWR as well as various BLM and NFS areas. I would say that close to 90% of the major off road tracks are not on the 2018 JL navigation. Roads that are on a 2010 paper edition of an Arizona state atlas is more reliable. We had to use that outdated atlas as well as a Garmin 450t hiking GPS loaded with Garmin's Four Corners USGS topo maps. Those USGS maps in many instances haven't been updated in decades. Many old roads long closed show on the Garmin, but nearly every major open off road trail does show up. Meanwhile the Jeep JL navigation just shows us going across the screen without roads.

The problem with the JL GPS is just not off road. The other day I was on US 60 between Apache Junction and Superior, Arizona. A long section of the highway was rerouted which didn't show on the JL navigation. I could see the old road bed a half mile to the south. Now, this isn't a new rerouting. It has been finished for over two years.

We previously owned a 2012 JK with the Jeep navigation, and probably 75% or better of the dirt roads in the above mentioned areas were on the navigation. Just can't figure out how Jeep could put such a piece of crap GPS in a vehicle touted for its off road prowess. I know that any GPS is only as good as the map software loaded on it. There is no excuse for Jeep to sell a navigation system that isn't as good as a 2010 atlas or decades old USGS topo maps.

So, don't waste your money on the JL navigation option unless you only cruise the local mall, but it better not be a new mall. Be prepared to purchase a real off road GPS navigation if you plan to do any real off road driving where there is no cell signal.
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Out of curiosity, because I truly don't know, but how much of this is a crappy GPS from Jeep versus the GPS itself? I'm not sure how to phrase it. But I do know that when I go to Google Earth, my house hadn't changed in 7 years even tho I have done extensive remodeling. So do you think it's Jeep's equipment or is it the GPS service itself? Just curious.

OP
OP
BVGeezer

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
Out of curiosity, because I truly don't know, but how much of this is a crappy GPS from Jeep versus the GPS itself? I'm not sure how to phrase it. But I do know that when I go to Google Earth, my house hadn't changed in 7 years even tho I have done extensive remodeling. So do you think it's Jeep's equipment or is it the GPS service itself? Just curious.
GPS (Global Positioning System) uses a number of satellites to triangulate your position and place you on a map that you can look at. So, the positioning of your location on a map is only as good as the mapping system that was factory downloaded on your GPS navigation system. Hence my Jeep navigation system just places me on a basically blank map. The navigation systems will give me the longitude and latitude of my current position using the satellites but without a map to place it on makes it useless.

Djmatt85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
That’s odd, most of the offroad trails I’ve been on show up fine. And a lot of these trails are way out in the boonies.

One thing I did notice (not sure if this is your case), the smaller trails don’t show automatically. I have to manually zoom in a little bit. That may be worth trying, but it’s not a guarantee.

Sponsored

Medictrode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2017 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
Yup, the NAV unit on all Chrysler products is useless. I wish a company like Garmin would make the GUI because I'd rather just use my phone.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I wish I had the 8.4” vs 7” regardless of maps ... mapping is a small piece of the upgrade to 8.4” and alpine, HD radio, etc ... right?

Maps may be poor but I sure wish I had the 8.4”!

Waze, google maps, etc is a better experience on 8.4”!

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer
Yup, the NAV unit on all Chrysler products is useless. I wish a company like Garmin would make the GUI because I'd rather just use my phone.
Pretty sure Uconnect uses Garmin's GPS software, no?

brewdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram; 2014 T&C
Some of us don't own a phone and depend on our vehicle navigation; I cannot understand peoples' need to be in constant communication with someone else; will the phones navigation work if in an area with no cell tower?

Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Some of us don't own a phone and depend on our vehicle navigation; I cannot understand peoples' need to be in constant communication with someone else; will the phones navigation work if in an area with no cell tower?
LOL..are you from the past and came through a time warp? Who doesn't own a smartphone today????

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I was actually surprised at how many trails in Moab showed up on it. Also, in my neck of the woods, it seems to be perfectly up to date with the newest roads, streets, and highways all there. On the highway, it does a better job of showing the lane I need to be in for an interchange than Google Maps or Waze, too. I still use Waze more often though, since it shows hazards.

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
We have the 8.4” screen, and most of the trails that we go on here in Wyoming are shown on the Jeeps GPS! I haven’t had a problem with it at all. I’m very happy with it.

palmor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude, 2018 JLU Moab
You can either download maps of the area your traveling in or get an app that stores the maps on your phone. The GPS works without cell reception. You can get a cheap gps enabled phone/tablet and never activate the cell service and use it as a stand alone gps unit.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
That’s odd, most of the offroad trails I’ve been on show up fine. And a lot of these trails are way out in the boonies.

One thing I did notice (not sure if this is your case), the smaller trails don’t show automatically. I have to manually zoom in a little bit. That may be worth trying, but it’s not a guarantee.
I think you hit the nail on the head for trails. You have to zoom in closer, then they appear. If they are not there, you can record your track. You have to scroll down on the menu page and it is there. I'll try and take a picture of it today.
Sponsored