Sponsored

JL GPS Navigation is a total waste of money!

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I also think the 8.4 navigation is good. The turn-by-turn is actually better than google IMO. Especially the lane and sign indications.
I think the 8.4 in Europe uses TomTom though. At least when I install the uconnect app there are some related TomTom branded functions. Not sure how to find out for sure though.

The GPS system (the one in space) is not particularly accurate for non-military systems. I don't think consumer goods can use PPP or RTK, which can return a 10cm accuracy. The EU units are not only GPS. It also uses GLONAS and Galileo.
Sponsored

Trojan_Actual

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Occupation
Retired Military
So random tech question....during an update or during battery disconnect, would you lose all your saved destinations? Thanks!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
So random tech question....during an update or during battery disconnect, would you lose all your saved destinations? Thanks!
I'll have to look, but I don't think I lost mine after a major update at the dealer. I have some Moab trails and Rimrocker in Colorado saved. I'll see if they are still in there.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
If you are a serious off-roader you should look into GAIA Maps. None of the stock GPS mapping works well. If you are off grid (no cell service) you can download the area in advance so you have navigation/GPS. Highly recommend - can use on your iPhone or iPad.
Does the GAIA app display on the Jeep screen when connected from the phone? I don’t have my Yeep yet.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have been using gps sinc 1995 i had a sony unit it was pretty cool . The first time i had it on a camping trip for indian guides in anza borrega dese. Some friends found our a location on a dirt trail in Blair valley. Keep inmind this was 1995 long before google earth . I think sony was using air photos to create base maps.. as there wer many other trails alo on there. Since then i have had pioneer lowrance garmin magellan and several factory .

The best were the lowrance the baja series pre loaded topo and using their 11 inch chart plotter i had it hard mounted into the dash it was an really nice set up basically i t had all the maps that the baja did. but lowrnace quit making those and foucuses on Chartplotters and fish finders.

When it comes down to it for me. A dedicated gps does what I want.

1 it must have topo for the entire usa
2. it must not need to spend hours and hours of down loading time only to find that some of it didn't down load correctly when you plans change form moab to colorado on the spur of the moment it mus be durable and able to with stand a ahock.

I haven't had much sucess with a tablet. I don't want to pay a subscription. so that hasn't worked out for me
I have bemoaned and cried ( yes I am a 65 year baby going on 5 as my wife says) the failures of downloading gps to tablets. The ontly thing about tablets that i reall like is the large screen size. Thye keep luring me back to try and get the maps i want on to a single high gig sd card. Battery life sucks. Durablility is questionable.

so I bought a magellan trx, at 299 its not bad consideringthe old lowrance was $550.

In my jeep I carry
1.paper maps scale compass for CA NeV, AZ Or wA Utah and colorado.
2 the magellan trx
3 the factory GPs in my view so far is pretty good. but you do have to check the dirt trail box in set up.
4 garmin in reach for emergencies
What I've been wanting is a screen mirroring ability for the built-in to show what a $200 Garmin GPS has. Nobody seems to value the user friendly standalone Garmins as much as cellphones with apps and hacks and long downloads.....

Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Does the GAIA app display on the Jeep screen when connected from the phone? I don’t have my Yeep yet.
IPhone just recently, Android not yet.

Later,
Johnny

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
Yes and it makes the factory GPS even more obsolete

Techbrute

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I tried to input my home address into the factory GPS system the day after I got it, and my address isn’t even there. My address has existed since 2015, my house was built during 2016, and we closed on Jan 31 of 2017. Google maps had my address and directional mapping sometime during early 2018, although it was close in 2017.

I updated my 2015 GMC Yukon maps in 2019, and it had my address. I don’t know if it had it prior to the 2019 update or not.

So since my 2020 Jeep doesn’t have my address, I’m not real impressed

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Funny story... I bought a new car about 15 years ago with factory SATNAV. Someone at the factory set the Home location as a strip bar down the street from the factory.
Sponsored