Sponsored

JL GPS Navigation is a total waste of money!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@XJrider

iPhone owners can use Google Maps, which is preferred by many/most, iPhone users.

On an iPhone, you'll need to install iOS 12 and then update the Google Maps app.
Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
@XJrider

iPhone owners can use Google Maps, which is preferred by many/most, iPhone users.

On an iPhone, you'll need to install iOS 12 and then update the Google Maps app.
I use Apple Maps for street use because Google is almost literally the devil company from hell.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I use Apple Maps for street use because Google is almost literally the devil company from hell.
Your loss ... LOL at your reasoning for not using Google.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Your loss ... LOL at your reasoning for not using Google.
Well if you want to get technical, it's Googles loss because they don't get any information from me.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Google irritates the hell out of me with their shenanigans and politics, and I really don't trust them. However, they've got me by the balls. Their products and innovation are incredible. I've just resigned to deal with it and enjoy their products and services, because they are pretty amazing. Lucky for them I don't see an alternative that is much different in terms of the BS. If there was one, I'd jump to it. Oh well. At least I own some stock and can get something else out of it, too. Btw, Apple is up to as much BS as Google, you can bet on it.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@fat_head

LOL...

And what in he heck, information wise. are they going to get from you... that will hurt you... that will impact you negatively. Nada/Zip.

YOU have more to gain from them, then they could ever ever gain from you.

You think Apple is different then Google... think again.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
The issue I have with the Jeep gps is when the destination is offroad and won’t navigate even when you can see the trails in the map.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Google irritates the hell out of me with their shenanigans and politics, and I really don't trust them. However, they've got me by the balls. Their products and innovation are incredible. I've just resigned to deal with it and enjoy their products and services, because they are pretty amazing. Lucky for them I don't see an alternative that is much different in terms of the BS. If there was one, I'd jump to it. Oh well. At least I own some stock and can get something else out of it, too. Btw, Apple is up to as much BS as Google, you can bet on it.
Does Apple censor searches? Does Apple censor speech? Does Apple collect and sell your information to anyone and everyone? Is Google proactively protecting its devices from illegal searches?

With Google, the user is the product. With Apple the device is. I am 100% Google free in my life. There are alternatives, and they might not all be as good, but that's the price I'm willing to pay for heightened (notice I didn't say "complete") privacy and security.

Ravager

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon Granite Crystal Metallic Station Wagon
Vehicle Showcase
Anyway...back to topic. I had to turn GPS off on a trip to Dallas last month. The nav had me going in an endless loop. I had to use the old fashioned method of looking at street signs and stuff.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
@fat_head I love your keto pizza recipe and I love Google products, software, and services. I was certainly impressed when Apple wouldn't help the FBI defeat their security. But I just like Google products better (generally).

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Does Apple censor searches? Does Apple censor speech? Does Apple collect and sell your information to anyone and everyone? Is Google proactively protecting its devices from illegal searches?

With Google, the user is the product. With Apple the device is. I am 100% Google free in my life. There are alternatives, and they might not all be as good, but that's the price I'm willing to pay for heightened (notice I didn't say "complete") privacy and security.
I don't trust either of them, but I'd bet the farm Apple is doing a lot more than anybody thinks. When the ability is there, it is too tempting not to do it, especially for some of the politically charged people in powerful positions within the company.

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
I didn't read through all of this so it might be covered. But in the settings for the NAV system you have to turn on "unpaved roads" for them to show up on the screen. This might account for some of the roads not showing up

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
It must vary by area the second day i had my jeep i went up mazourka canyon to an area where 40 years ago i had done my summern field work in geology this area is remote enough that that idiotb cranston and fienstein got it listed as wilderness the trails were on the gps actually there were trails on the maps that had grown over they were forest service roads but really some were bareky even two track. I do think that jeep really could have knocked it iut if the park had they installed a second layer of maps the entire usa on topo on your dash instead we are left trying to use gaia or bcn or?
Which brings uo a question are any of the moab trails colorado trails like cinnamon or black bear or ca trails likre the rubicon on it?

Prozac

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Some of us don't own a phone and depend on our vehicle navigation; I cannot understand peoples' need to be in constant communication with someone else; will the phones navigation work if in an area with no cell tower?
Yes, With Carplay and Google Maps, or others I'm sure, you can download the map in sections for offline use. Its good for 30 days or so. The GPS in the phone works without service, but its faster with it.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Car makers can stop installing map systems if they include Apple or Android play. The map on my phone updates continually.
The heck with that. When we bought my wife's Renegade, we told the salesman we wanted navigation, and those two stupid apps were his recommended solution. He even said, manufacturers aren't installing navigators anymore because people just use their phones. He then goes on to brag about how great Carplay and AndroidAuto were. They're rubbish
I don't always have my phone on me, and even if I did, I don't want to have to rely on having a cell signal. Instead, we found a Limited with the larger radio AND a navigation system. On my JL, I got the 8.4 with Nav and love it. Much easier to see routes, notifications, traffic alerts, etc on a large screen, which also pop up on the gauge cluster.

Pretty sure Uconnect uses Garmin's GPS software, no?
That's what I thought too. My Jeeps GPS functions the same as my Gamin Nuvi that I have for work. It almost has to be the same software, but I don't know for sure. I suspect you're correct.

I think you hit the nail on the head for trails. You have to zoom in closer, then they appear. ....
I think you can also set it to auto zoom when your speed changes. It gets closer when you slow down, wider as you speed up. This should help show the trails without having to manually zoom in.

Lol, the nav unit in my JK was great. All it needed was an update. It had a breadcrumb off road feature that was especially good, and you could save the trails......
The JL has it too. So even if you're on an uncharted trail, you can leave breadcrumbs and get back out.

Anyone who ventures off road without a map and compass and the knowledge to use them, GPS notwithstanding, is a potential Darwin Award candidate.
Agreed. Basic navigation skills are something that should be learned, especially if you plan to go into the "wilderness". Technology fails, you should know how to get back to civilization without it. Nav is great, but take a map/compass too.
Two is one, one is none.

You don’t own a phone? How do you read and post on this forum?;)
I read and post from my computer (desktop) on a 21" monitor. How do you see anything on this forum with such a small screen as a phone?
Sponsored