First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
What’s the big deal with locking gas caps? Do people actually steal gas at alarming rate that these are critical to have?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@RubenZ

I myself don't bother with them. The JL has the anti-rollover valve like all vehicles these days..... these valves also act as a siphon prevention device, so it is pretty difficult for the average nitwit to steal the gas via siphoning. It can be accomplished but very difficult and time consuming.

So, locking cap is not necessary / nor useful, in regard to gasoline theft. Yes, it is a deterrent of sorts that will keep nitwits from pouring who knows what into your gas tank, but that is pretty much it.

Most gas thieves today just drill a hole in the gas tank, take what they want, and let the rest run out on the ground.

I lost over 100+ gallons of gas in 2004 when nitwits drilled a hole in my Class A, RV's gas tank. Oh, I had a locking gas cap on that RV.

Fastmover

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2.0L Billet JLR: Ordered 1/9. Delivered 2/13. Picked up 3/5.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
@Rhinebeck01 My gas cap tether is super short. It cannot hang down and touch the paint. Nor is it long enough to hang on the gas door hook mod. Any ideas on how to lengthen the gas cap tether?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rhinebeck01 My gas cap tether is super short. It cannot hang down and touch the paint. Nor is it long enough to hang on the gas door hook mod. Any ideas on how to lengthen the gas cap tether?
@Fastmover
Exactly how long is the fuel cap tether on your JL?

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Fastmover

For sure with the tether only being 3" there is no way to do as I did in regard to a hook. By the way the tether on my JKL is 6" in length.

I think if I were in your situation, I would ask the dealership parts guy to obtain a replacement fuel cap for a 2018/2019 JL. Once he gets that unit in, see how long the tether is on it. IF, it is 6" in length, then go to the Service Department, Manager, and ask if he can have your fuel cap replaced under warranty. You might just fund he will do this.. if you approach him in the right way, lets say. If he won't ak him to sell you at dealership cost which is probably about $12+-.

Yes, I think there is a very good chance the replacement fuel cap that the parts guy gets will have a longer tether. If not the parts guy will keep in their stock or return it to their centralized parts center.

Fastmover

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2.0L Billet JLR: Ordered 1/9. Delivered 2/13. Picked up 3/5.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
@Fastmover

For sure with the tether only being 3" there is no way to do as I did in regard to a hook. By the way the tether on my JKL is 6" in length.

I think if I were in your situation, I would ask the dealership parts guy to obtain a replacement fuel cap for a 2018/2019 JL. Once he gets that unit in, see how long the tether is on it. IF, it is 6" in length, then go to the Service Department, Manager, and ask if he can have your fuel cap replaced under warranty. You might just fund he will do this.. if you approach him in the right way, lets say. If he won't ak him to sell you at dealership cost which is probably about $12+-.

Yes, I think there is a very good chance the replacement fuel cap that the parts guy gets will have a longer tether. If not the parts guy will keep in their stock or return it to their centralized parts center.

@Rhinebeck01
Good idea. I already asked the service writer when I brought it in to get some other things tweaked, and he didn't want to order another one. Just said the one he orders will be the same as what they put on at the factory. BS. Anyways, the service dept makes you pay up front when you order a part. Not big money in this case, but then I'm sure I'd also have to pay a restocking fee if I wanted to return it. Sounds like some sweet talking is in order. I can't believe the subcontracted supplier is producing gas caps with such short tethers.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Fastmover

I learned years ago to just ask to speak to the Service Manager as the Service Writer has little to do with ... well, little to do with anything.

Service Writer enters your concerns into the computer is pretty much useless otherwise. 9 times out of 10 absolutely clueless they are.

Swooooze the Service Manager and the General Manager, and most always they can get done for you what needs to be done, if it is with in reason. Also ... pays to swooze the Parts guy too. 8-)

Moucf96

First Name
Mollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Can you replace just the fuel door and not the assembly? Every video I see about changing the door is an assembly not JUST the door on the hinge.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you replace just the fuel door and not the assembly? Every video I see about changing the door is an assembly not JUST the door on the hinge.
@Moucf96

I have never seen just the "door on the hinge" available for say if you wanted to swap out a fuel door for whatever reason.

Would probably be easier to replace the fuel door with attached assembly like you find then to change the fuel door only..

Takes less then 10 min to install a fuel door with attached assembly.

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD