JL for a roadtrip??

TexRivers

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
I recently completed a 21 day 5700 mile trip out west in my 2019 Moab. Drove four back to back 500 mile days solo on the return trip from Colfax CA to Houston. I love the Jeep on the road. I traded from a Lexus GX which I could not drive longer than 2 hours without getting sleepy. Just like on my former cross country motorcycle trips, I never get sleepy driving the Jeep. My only complaint was the 15 mpg. But I had the roof rack loaded with camping gear.
Sponsored

pokey02

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 JCW, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I just took a trip from S Florida to Richmond, Va to Tremont, PA to Baltimore, MD and back to S Florida.

2 door with a hard top, 2" lift and 35s. Trip was great, wasnt tiring at all.

Looking forward to the next one!

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
We left North Carolina last Saturday (10th), and are in Miles City, Montana today. Right close to 2K miles now, and the Sahara is doing great. The cross winds out in the prairie lands give the thing a fit though. But, it's brick with four wheels. The 3.6L was right at 25.5 mpgs when we rolled into Fargo, but those crosswinds and 80 mpg speed limits on I-94 have brought that down to approx. 21.5. Still quite good in my book. It has been very comfortable on the longer rides. So, enjoy your trip, and be safe.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I find nothing wrong with the JL’s ride and comfort. My big issues is the 70mph road noise on my pioneer roof rack. It’s almost annoying and nauseating hearing the wind swooooosh.

Sponsored

Dawn Patrol

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just got back from a two week road trip from Philadelphia to Acadia National Park. From there headed to Burlington, Vermont and then back down to PA. All in all, 27 hours plus side excursions in Northern Maine. The JLUR was great even though it was fully loaded down with camping gear, fridge, food, kids, etc. Currently planning Jeep trips to Yellowstone and Newfoundland/P.E.I.

jgo138

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Occupation
Education
We just did a road trip from San Antonio to Colorado - Denver, Crested Butte, and everything in between in July. 2019 Sahara with Rubicon wheels/tires and open diffs. Grand total of 72 hrs in the Jeep covering 2900 miles over 13 days with my girlfriend and dog. I was extremely impressed with how smooth the ride was, and how comfortable we were inside the whole trip. I drove 15.5 hrs straight the first day, only stopping for the usual stuff and I didn't feel any discomfort. The gas mileage was not bad at all (~22 avg). We took a couple of Jeep trails that led us to some amazing views and experiences. We're already planning the next trip back!

IMG_6409.JPG

OP
OP
Ksvette

Ksvette

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport s
Damn, some decent trips in here! So far, we got three hours left for f the 20 hour 1300 mile jaunt. No issues that I wouldn't have in the Cadillac.

See Through

First Name
Clover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maintenance Manager
I recently drove 1600+ miles (round-trip) from Springfield, IL to Baltimore, MD. And I know that's not too bad compared to some of the other trips posted here, but what shocked me was having 5 adults and 5 adults worth of luggage in the back and everyone still reported to me that it was a pleasant trip! So I'm super happy, gas mileage was good, I think I filled up 4 or 5 times from a quarter tank the whole trip (that's including city driving once we arrived in Baltimore). And the 8-speed handled the mountain roads quite nicely!

Sponsored

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Got back yesterday from a 3400 mile trip. Went from SE WI to WNY. Dropped off 2 kids and dog and grandma's house. Wife and I went to Smoky Mtns and all around. Hit a bunch of different areas there and back to NY. Then back to SE WI. We do lots of driving trips. Went to Wyoming 2 months ago. I go to Rocky Mtns at least 3 times per year. Im in 4-5 different vehicles on my trips. Ive driven my DD a F150 25k miles in the year Ive owned it. And I dont have a job to drive to everyday.

My biggest issue with the Jeep JL on long trips. I get a pretty sore back from the seat. Advil and seat heaters seem to help. We have leather seats if that makes a difference.

Otherwise, and road trip issues with the Jl are pretty common sense things with owning a Jeep Wrangler. Much more wind noise than pretty much any other vehicle, wind pushes it around more, wind greatly affects mpg much more. Pretty much most things a boxed vehicle will have issues with compared to more aerodynamic vehicles. Im not bashing the Jeep just giving an opinion. I do drive usually at 7-8 mph above speed limit on freeways.

I will say, I was very impressed with the road manners of the Jeep in non windy situations. It drove very well. Even in the windy areas, it was not terrible by any means.

It will not be my first choice for a long road trip vehicle mainly because of the sore back issue. But if your back isnt bothered by it, it should be a fine road trip vehicle.

JEEPIAN

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2DR
Last October I bought a JLU in York, PA and drove it to Los Angeles over 1.5 weeks with a broken left arm...and it was a manual. Took it through WV, KY, TN, stayed in New Orleans, took it off road a little in the bayous, trekked across TX via the 10 in pouring rain, got on some trails near Silver City NM, and made my way home to Los Angeles. Absolutely loved every minute. Manual transmission was cake even with a broken arm (pro tip: only shift when going straight). Soft top was reasonably quiet even in the west Texas rain.

I've since sold the JLU for my JL. In the JL I've done a number of 500-600 mile trips. The only time it was remotely rough was getting caught in the side winds near Palm Springs. The gusts were so bad they would momentarily separate the side windows from the body. The whole Jeep skipped sideways about a foot or so a few times. No wonder they've got those giant windmills there.

The two most difficult things about roadtripping with the JL is deciding top on or off, and whether you should take the trail into the mountains or the trail into the desert.

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
Drive home from the dealer was 600 miles in my Moab a few weeks ago. We took the scenic route back through the WV mountains and it was a great ride. My fiance has been surprised at how comfortable the Moab is. And this was after driving my Audi S5 to the dealer. Not a significant difference as far as comfort goes. Now, speed and handling is a different story. Actually, the JL handles surprising well for a Jeep.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
My son and I did a 7hr ride in the JLUR pulling a 4 seater gas golf cart averaged 14 - 16mpg could had been better but I'm a speeder.
Zero issues. Awesome trip.

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep 392, Mercedes E 53 convt, Prevost H3-41
Occupation
Retired
I drove my Moab from Vegas to sAn Diego when I bought it, and recently from San Diego to Mammoth and back. Each about 400 miles. Drove great, quite comfortable. Cruise control and adaptive cruise control work pretty well, but not as well thought out as it is on my Tesla. Very happy with the Jeep, runs and looks great.
Sponsored