dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Wife and I took a 700 mile trip back back in late May in a JLU with the top down. No issues and we're in our late 50's.
Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Early July, my son and I went from Atlanta GA to Peoria IL to Milwaukee WI with a few hour break to pick up my daughter in Peoria in my JLUR. 800+ miles no issue. A few days later we did the reverse. Pleanty comfortable. Listened to podcasts mostly. Took our time. I did all the driving. I was tired afterwards, but not exhausted.

We narrowly missed getting hit in Southern Illinos after lunch by an old lady that ran a red light. I was in the center lane. The guy to the left of me saw her and stopped. I saw him stop (didnt know why,l) and reacted by stopping. The F150 to the right of us was not so lucky and had already pulled out and she t-boned him right in the drivers door. I think both cars were done, but they all walked away.

Poromenos

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Drove up to my hunting property about 5 hours away many times last fall. Interior comfort was great, but the wandering at speeds of 55+ made it a nightmare to drive that long, especially at night. A light crosswind made it worse. Now it doesnt seem that bad, its either the steering has fixed itself or i just got used to it but i feel it is much improved. I just got the notice for the V41 recall and im bringing it in on Tuesday for the replacement steering dampener. Lets see what that does. Also just in time for the 2019 hunting season where i'll be doing a lot of driving up to the hunting property again. Looking forward to testing it out.

OP
OP
Ksvette

Ksvette

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport s
You’ll have a great time! Back in May while I was home on R&R, I did about 2800 miles in a week. Went from Winchester Virginia down the Shenandoah valley, across into central North Carolina through the Smoky Mountains over to middle Tennessee, down to Chattanooga, back up to the Winchester area. Had tons of little side trips in there too.

Top was down most of the time... did great on gas... stereo up... had a blast!
I hope. Mine is 20 straight through with three guys, luggage, camera/film equipment......and a few snakes. Going to a show/conference for my side gig/hobby. Looking forward to it. Rolling out at about 3 pm.

Waterloo

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray Sahara, 2006 Honda Pilot Silver
Vehicle Showcase
Drove from RVA to Eastern PA and back last weekend, doing it again tomorrow (dropping kids at their grandparents' for the week).

Drive home was a blast, had the sunrider open for 5 of the 8 hours (we took our time and even ride a ferry).

IMG_20190811_165617_exported_8476692312279415587.jpg

Sponsored

mtnbikeracer76

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Cherokee , 2008 HHR SS
Occupation
Warehouse
I've gone from PA to Cape Cod a couple times with my 2018 Sport S. It's not bad, BUT I will admit that it's not super comfy, either. My back definitely starts to feel it around the 5-6 hour mark. It's not horrible or anything, and we usually stop every couple hours because I have a 10-month-old daughter, but it's not plush lol

Road noise and all that doesn't bother me or my family, and I have a soft top.
5-6 hours in almost any car will start to hurt. It's a long time to be stationary.

mjf4241

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@Ksvette this is a good question you posed. I was wondering the same about long road trips. In September I am traveling from the Houston, Texas area to Ouray, Co. My Jeep is a JLUR with 2" lift and 35's. Longest I've driven it is about 300 miles down to South Padre. This trip in September will be about 1100 miles each way. So, thank you guys for the input on your experiences on long road trips. I look forward to this trip I'm taking.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
In the past 8 months, my 2019 JLUR has made 6 rounds trips from Las Vegas to San Francisco and a handful of trips to San Diego. Many trips into Arizona and Utah. However, those runs are much shorter than the former ones.

Have sat behind the wheel for a couple of 12 hour plus stretches. No problems, as long as I stretch my knees every few hours.

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
This has been a sore subject in the family ever since I convinced the wife and 2 kids to take the 4-door Rubicon instead of the Sienna from Indiana to Florida (17 hours) back in February. Just a few hours in and all 3 were complaining about road and wind noise, bumpiness of the ride, and actual wind coming in the door jams. The first 10 hours were spent in 10-20F winter air, and we needed to crank the heat the entire time. I endured their bellyaching because I knew hey would enjoy beach days with the Jeep stripped down, doors off, in swimsuits, which they did. In the end though I wish we took the minivan just for pure ride comfort alone. 36 hours round trip for a few Jeep in the beach days wasn’t really worth it to us.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
I hope. Mine is 20 straight through with three guys, luggage, camera/film equipment......and a few snakes. Going to a show/conference for my side gig/hobby. Looking forward to it. Rolling out at about 3 pm.
Safe travels and enjoy the ride!

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Not a JL, but I got a story or two:

August of '11, Dad and I took the Loaner Panamera (He had a Boxster that was in the shop) down to Texas, we were basically celebrities as everyone asked about it and stuff. Nice car, V6 but a beast, and during a monsoon, Dad flew the top of Louisiana to T-Coons in Lafayette within 2 hours (closed at 2:30, we made it there by 2)

4 years ago(?) Took the Audi (B7 A4 2.0t Quattro) up to NH and back twice. Car was completely stock, and manual. Loved it, took us 8hrs as we did stop for gas, food and br breaks, but damn was it memorable. Definitely gotta go back

Now I really wanna get a JL and head down to Jeep Beach, gotta figure out how to work things so I can make it happen

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
JLU Sahara, just finished a 800 mile road trip for 4 days in Maine, great! I know that's not cross country but... 22 mpg plenty comfortable! We have a nice Cherokee Trailhawk probably not as comfy as that though I think the Sahara's leather seats better! The Wrangler is a lot more fun anyway and we are old but Jeep freaks!

Best mod we ever did is a Bestop Sunrider to replace the HT panels sooo worth the $$$!! Panels were home hanging safely in their bag in our garage. No worry about room taken up in the Jeep or if rain happened on our trip! If you are HT folks this Sunrider is the best money you'll ever spend and make it a lot more fun!

JL much more comfy than our past JK's and the 8speed auto really great on road and off road!

Go Jeep!

flipboltz

First Name
Nikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
So... Everyone post off-road road trips, but what about just a good ol cross country jaunt? Tomorrow I head out on a 20 hour drive in a soft top sport S.

Curious for those of us that use this as our daily vehicle, longest roadtrip? How did it go? Long-term comfort?

Either way, Florida here I come!
2 Week, 4100 mile trip to Costa Rica in our 2 Door Soft Top JL. Very comfy and zero issues.

Forum Thread here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/driving-our-jl-to-costa-rica.28916/
Blog here: www.eatbeachrepeatlife.com

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I picked mine up three weeks back. Very first Friday was 7 hours from Oshawa to Holland, MI. Almost all of that top-down at 30C until the rain threatened. Next day was five hours to Chicago in 34C until the stop and go in construction got too much. The top was closed, and AC turned back on. The kids (17 and 14) LOVE the Jeep almost as much as I do, maybe even more. We picked up my partner and drove back from O'Hare to Holland in about three and a half hours, temps still pretty high.

I've done the GTA to West Michigan trip once more since then, and the Jeep is a blast. Waiting for my trackbar TSB to be done - it wanders if you don't concentrate. I would 100% replicate last year's cross country trip from the GTA to Edmonton I did in my '16 Trailhawk all over again in Hulk. A full tank of gas gets me ~720KM of range, and consumption is only about 1L/100KM over what my TrailHawk got me.

jconradtx

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler SS Sting Gray/Heritage Tan w/ 6spd, HT, Tech Pkg & Cold Pkg
Occupation
EMT/Instructor
I purchased/picked mine up back in the first week of April and as of this week I have put 13k miles on it. I travel all over the midwest for work so I am driving 6 to 8 hours a day quite often. I can tell you that I have learned exactly the short-falls of comfort when it comes to road trips. And honestly the only complaint I can make is the foot space. There is no heel room as there is the cross bar in the floor so you can't really bend your knees any tighter than 90 degrees. Also the narrow space near the pedals can feel quite claustrophobic after a couple hours on the road. Everything else is wonderful. Great support in the seat and all the arm rests are perfectly placed.
Sponsored