JL Flat tow with factory steel bumper upgrade, Blue Ox

vsayler

First Name
Van
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
I have a 2019 Rubicon order, it has been built and I pick it up in about 3 weeks. I have ordered the Steel Bumper Group. I plan on using the Blue Ox base plate kit. Has anyone installed that on jeep with the factory Steel bumper option?
thanks
Van Sayler
Sponsored

OP
OP

vsayler

First Name
Van
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Here is the description Blue Ox puts on their website:

"BX1139 Jeep Wrangler/Wrangler Unlimited (JL)(All Models w/Standard Bumper)(Includes ACC)"

Its the "standard bumper" language that concerns me.

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep 392, Mercedes E 53 convt, Prevost H3-41
Occupation
Retired
I just took delievery of the BX1139 Blue ox. Xtrailer has a great video on how to install it. I have a Moab with the Steel bumper. I intend to also add a winch plate. I may or may not buy a winch at this time, but I want to have the capabiililty. From looking at the video, it seems like its a very straight forward install. Some drilling and cutting of slots. But looks like Blue OX is the better base plate if you also want a winch.

Of particular note, Xtrailer, blue Ox technical, Roadmaster technical all say they don't think their base plate can be used with a winch/winch plate. Thats only because they don't want the liability of promising something they have not personally checked out. I was startled to see that Jimac on this forum has a rubicon, Stock steel bumper, Blue Ox base plate and a winch plate and winch. He posted a picture of his beautiful rig. He used Rusty's winch plate that seems to fit with no issues.

So I and others on this forum have assumed that in order to be able to tow and winch, that I had to change out the bumper- not true only because the base plate manufacturers don't want to spend time checking. Lame.

FWIW, I like the looks of the stock steel bumper better than most of the aftermarket options.

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
I have a 2019 Rubicon order, it has been built and I pick it up in about 3 weeks. I have ordered the Steel Bumper Group. I plan on using the Blue Ox base plate kit. Has anyone installed that on jeep with the factory Steel bumper option?
thanks
Van Sayler
Just in case you haven't seen one of the other threads on flat towing, did you consider the option to skip the BO base plate and go with the Maximus tow loop setup? I was about to go the same route as you until I saw the clean installations done by forum members using that strategy. Personal preference, but I didn't like the look of the tow bar below the cool bumper and it looked easier to scrape off, too. My install using the Maximus tow loops - I have the steel bumper - is planned for this week. FWIW I am also doing the Cooltech wiring harness and RVi Brake.

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep 392, Mercedes E 53 convt, Prevost H3-41
Occupation
Retired
Van,
I too installed the Cool tech wiring harness and plan to use the RVi brake. Great choice!

terrytnt

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB and BMW
Ordering my 2020 Rubicon and will switch my Blue Ox base plate (from my 2018 JL 2 dr Sport) to the new Rubicon so I can tow from my RV. Question: Will there be any problems using the 'Steel Bumper Set" vs. the plastic bumpers?

many thanks guys....
Sponsored