JL Fire In Tennessee Today

rb4423

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
OK, I'm officially worried now. I have a 2 door Rubicon Mojito on order. I've been looking at any video I can find about the JL. Saw one that showed the nice hood vents are bogus. Has anyone tried or made a way to make them functional? Would that even help the heat situation?

Advertisement

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
OK, I'm officially worried now. I have a 2 door Rubicon Mojito on order. I've been looking at any video I can find about the JL. Saw one that showed the nice hood vents are bogus. Has anyone tried or made a way to make them functional? Would that even help the heat situation?
There are several references to the hood vents in the JL forum. Using the search function of the JL forum, here is just one example - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-your-jeep-jl-today.3033/page-653#post-462558

ormandj

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I'm fairly certain they are ''fake' in order to prevent water ingress. I wouldn't be so quick to open them up. This fire wasn't caused by missing hood vents.

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
I'm fairly certain they are ''fake' in order to prevent water ingress. I wouldn't be so quick to open them up. This fire wasn't caused by missing hood vents.
Theyre 100% false vents as shown on Jeep Informants YouTube video where he actually removes one.

allieboy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
When and where is the JL Bonfire this year?

allieboy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
FCA will fix fires in upcoming Uconnect software update

allieboy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Gather round and take knee if you’re interested in the story of the Spicy Mojito. I am the owner of this hot JLUR, taken delivery of it on 9 August with 26 miles on the odometer. This JL has the 3.6 with manual transmission, that means it has 3 foot pedals instead of two for those that don’t know. It was driven to my residence, 14.7 miles, with no issues. On 10 August it was driven 42 in rural and urban areas with no issues. On 13 August it was driven in the same manner for 55 miles, and again no problems. The next day, with 146 miles on the odometer, it was driven by my wife 7 miles to the on ramp of the local interstate. As she merged onto the interstate she immediately noticed something was wrong and made her way over to the shoulder and turned it off. Another commuter noticed this and pulled off too, alerting her that there was fire underneath the Jeep (puddle of flames) while removing her from the vehicle. Moments after the Jeep started itself and the engine compartment was engulfed in flames until put out by the local FD.

The JLUR was towed back to the dealership where it currently sits. I contacted Jeep the same day and filed a statement with customer care. 36 hours later I again made contact with Jeep Care and was given a case number and notified that an inspector should be looking at it in 2-5 business days.

At the time of the incident, there had been no modifications physically or electrically to the stock Rubicon. All fluids had been checked and were at nominal levels. During its short 126 mile life we had it, there was no indication of over heating, loss of power or anything else out of the ordinary.

Hopefully this clears up any and all misinformation or rumors floating among this and other forums. My wife also took delivery of her JLUR mid July and currently has 2,3## miles with no problems to report.

Now we can begin the Q & A portion of this gathering.
Did it have the Smokers Package

four low

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Well true, but chances are it was running so they had time to pull over at least. I never thought my vehicle will just instantaneously combust just sitting there and not on. Either way, at least it can/should be covered by FCA, albeit after a lengthy investigation, process etc..Hope it gets made right in the end.
Ford and BMW had vehicles catch fire hours after parked, houses burned, lives lost.
Tech can have a steep price

Advertisement

PSC Motorsports

Advertisement